• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Replacing that Annoying Maverick Cocking Lever Pin

1000003860.jpg

It did not take very long after getting my Maverick for pin part number 44 to start working loose.
1000003852.jpg

I did not like the remedies that I found online so I decided to replace the pin.
I found a stainless steel truss head rivet on Amazon of the correct diameter (2.5mm). The $6.39 price includes shipping.
1000003859.jpg

The cocking lever is 7mm thick. I bought the 10mm length rivet to be able to trim off most of the hollow end of the rivet thus keeping the rivet solid in the pivot joint. I then filed a "V" into the hollow part that protrudes past the pivot arm.
1000003853.jpg

1000003854.jpg

The rivet pin also needs to be short enough to clear the air cylinder when the cocking arm is in forward/closed position.
1000003855.jpg

Last step was to ever-so-slightly flare out the "V" on the bottom of the rivet to keep it from working out. I did this by lightly sqeezing the rivet with the shank of a small screwdriver riding in the notch.
1000003857.jpg

This kept from putting any stress on the cocking lever. Should I ever need to remove the pin, a pinch with a pair of pliers will straighten the ears back in place.
Now, no more hunting for a tiny pin that fell out. I would like to see FX replace this pin with a truss head pin that is retained with an E clip. Hope somebody finds this helpful.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
Part 45 is more annoying. All it takes is someone stripping out the hex area and you have a job removing that!
45 and 42 take ALL of the stress of cocking, IMHO there isn't enough surface area for the constant movement, steel on aluminum. If i had a mill and a lathe I'd shove a bushing in there and a larger screw. This thing need to be lubed. On my project Maverick, the previous previous owner actually wore the hole out, along with screwin\ the gun up beyond belief.