• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Umarex Replacement barrel

I was thinking about getting a umarex gauntlet 30 caliber..
would you please tell me what happened and how you need a new barrel?
also how are they compared to 22 PCP at 100 yards or more?
thank you
Mark
Hi Mark. Short story I messed up the barrel cleaning it. My mistake. Gun shot very well out to 75 yards longest range I had. Sub Moa groups with pellets. I have a 22 Gauntlet as well which shoots about the same at 75 yds. Enjoy both guns and will again with the 30 if I can replace the barrel

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
The all everything gaunlet guru :

Screenshot_20231107_170241_Samsung Internet.jpg

It COULD be all you did was remove the "leading" or "seasoning" from the barrel. I doubt if the bore brush damaged the barrel itself, though it is possible. Sometimes & with some guns it takes quite a few pellets downrange to re-lead the barrel. I use hard nylon brushes rather than metal & it seems to keep the needed leading in place.

I went after the bore with a bore brush. Accuracy has gone south and yes this is very embarrassing. Gun was apart for a different issue and stupid me was not thinking. Will bore scope later this week to confirm how bad I screwed up
A bore brush will not ruin your bore. I don't know why people think that is true??? I have a 30yr old Falcon FN19 with an LW barrel. I have used a bore brush along with Shooter's Choice solvent during my bore cleaning on the LW barrel for decades and it shoots as well today as it did 30-yrs ago.

I agree, with the fellow above that said you likely just need to run some rounds through your rifle's clean bore to re-season it.

so my airguns, I've had a bottle of oil/ cleaner for spring break barrel guns.. and I only use that on a cotton patch.. and actually same thing for my firearms.. however airguns lack the fouling of powder guns.. so I only clean the barrel on airguns if it seems off or looks very dirty..
I have read that you can take rifling out of the barrel with a brass brush, but I have also talked to others who use copper plated ammo.. and if you have read about the gauntlet gen I.. the original barrel didn't have enough of a chamber and also several shops lap barrels.. like the Benjamin bulldog.. pitbull airguns laps the barrel to smooth out imperfections.. lapping at least in mechanics you put a light abrasive paste on the valves and spin it with a suction cup handle until everything is smooth and fits well.. I personally don't know exactly how they lap a airgun barrel but I assume that it's with a patch and very fine abrasive.. and considering rifling id assume that they rotate the patch in line with the rifling so as to smooth out the imperfections and yet leaves the rifling intact..
I hope some people who are familiar with this process chime in..
because it scares me to think that airguns are made so poorly that cleaning them ruins the barrel, rifling and all.. seems like if that's the case it should still shoot decent at short range since a lot of guns way back were smooth bore.. even some today..
Mark

I went after the bore with a bore brush. Accuracy has gone south and yes this is very embarrassing. Gun was apart for a different issue and stupid me was not thinking. Will bore scope later this week to confirm how bad I screwed up
I highly doubt you ruined it.. if you did I want to know because if it's true.. the barrel is trash brand new from the factory.. steel is supposed to be hard.. much harder than any gun brush I have seen..
Mark

well if you find out your barrel is bad, and you can't get another one for a reasonable price..pm me and depending on where you are and how much it costs and shipping.. I might consider buying it and finding a better barrel and machine it to fit.. I'd be more enthusiastic about it but I have a notos pistol and I have had the aluminum stock for the modifications I want to do for at least half a year and I haven't had time or energy to get started.. it's a unfortunate situation being disabled and fighting cancer.. I just run out of steam before I get much done..
but honestly and hopefully your barrel is fine, just needs some lead shot through it.. hopefully you can get a little target shooting in place of feeling like you damaged something.. plus like others have said, it might do good to polish it correctly so you don't have to rely on lead filling in imperfections..
wishing you the best.. but please keep us updated..
Mark

Low-end airgun barrel steel might actually be soft enough for rifling to be damaged by a bronze brush.
But more likely - the crown can get dinged by the rod, which would have a bigger negative influence on accuracy. Have you checked the crown, with magnification if possible?
It is also possible that the extra leading made it work with smaller diameter pellets, and now they are too small and it only works with slightly larger pellets. But it should lead back in 50-100 shots, if this is the case.
(but why clean at all, ever- It's safest to not own a brush in the first place)

Last edited:
Reactions: vtl and markhooper
Orion the iguana hunter did a video about barrel polishing on you tube. He shows the tools needed and the process he used. After watching it I did a similar process with very good success. I think this would definitely be worth your time. I hope it helps. This is the link.
after watching the link, looks like a good thing to do to all my air rifle..