• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Removing Barrel Choke?

I just cut down a 18" 12mm LW barrel to 16" for my TalonP, it's not that difficult to do. Cut with a hacksaw, filed and sanded, then I recrowned it.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos, then just did it. I didn't have barrel bore paste but I did have automotive valve grinding paste which all the YouTube machinist claimed to be just as good.

Used the brass screw to crown along with steel wool to polish. I also opened up the leade so slugs would be easier to seat.

All in all I am satisfied with the results still testing slugs for best working velocities, but so far so good.

I have chopped the choke off AF barrels, and purchased others, so yeah I am not ‘guessing’ if it works or not.

I did it to shoot slugs 7 or 8 years ago, works fine for pellets and shot better with slugs from a LBT mold and the 257420.

knifemaker has done this also for slugs and gets phenomenal accurate you just need to do it properly.

Roachcreek

I just cut down a 18" 12mm LW barrel to 16" for my TalonP, it's not that difficult to do. Cut with a hacksaw, filed and sanded, then I recrowned it.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos, then just did it. I didn't have barrel bore paste but I did have automotive valve grinding paste which all the YouTube machinist claimed to be just as good.

Used the brass screw to crown along with steel wool to polish. I also opened up the leade so slugs would be easier to seat.

All in all I am satisfied with the results still testing slugs for best working velocities, but so far so good.

I did the valve lapping compound with brass screw treatment and turned out great also. Scary but works excellent.

Firstly, make sure it has a twist rate that will properly stabilize the slugs you intend to shoot.

Also you may want to see if you can determine the bore diameter before cutting off the choke. Choked barrels tend to run large and rely on the choke to bring it down to something closer to the nominal caliber. For example a Lothar Walther .25 cal is specified with a groove diameter of 0.254”. Depending on how and where you’re getting your slugs, you may have difficulty getting them dimensioned properly (or it will limit your options), in which case it may be advantageous to look at a replacement barrel. A typical unchoked barrel will be closer to the nominal caliber. 

Firstly, make sure it has a twist rate that will properly stabilize the slugs you intend to shoot.

Also you may want to see if you can determine the bore diameter before cutting off the choke. Choked barrels tend to run large and rely on the choke to bring it down to something closer to the nominal caliber. For example a Lothar Walther .25 cal is specified with a groove diameter of 0.254”. Depending on how and where you’re getting your slugs, you may have difficulty getting them dimensioned properly (or it will limit your options), in which case it may be advantageous to look at a replacement barrel. A typical unchoked barrel will be closer to the nominal caliber. 

I also have a Lothar Walther barrel polygon .25. I feel it has to much choke and have thought about cutting it at a point I feel I would end up with a lightly choked barrel. Maybe just taking a little off at a time and recrowning. Try it and if still to tight go again

Could this work?

Thanks Michael 

I’ve had the barrel for years it’s on an Impact it shoots the King Heavies well but fouls up quite quickly. I’ve tried slugs through it and there not working well. When cleaning the barrel I’ve always noticed just how much tighter it is compared to my other .25 barrels regardless of brand and type. My Theoben .25 barrel in comparison has very little choke. My older original FX smooth twist is somewhere in the middle. The polygon is the tightest and I think it affects the slugs. I have pushed a slug through it and it’s tight! So I thought I might try finding a point half way through the choke and cutting at that point. Did you take all the choke out of the LW barrel you tried Mark?

I have remove the choke on several L/W barrels and they did fine. both pellets and slugs. A choke it there to be a band-aid for so many different pellet dimensions. It is a real cluster out there!

I find that slugs will foul much quicker than a pellet. In many barrels that never foul, they will with slugs.They must be polished and although many don't like lubing pellets,it is mandatory with slugs. Not to mention properly sized for the bore or choke. If a choke is present, they must be sized for the choke. Not the bore. I use nothing but rc shock oil in 10 WT for slugs. When shooting pellets, I use fp-10 which I pioneered years ago when the US Army at Ft. Hood Texas was testing it in full auto weapons before it was available to the public.

Roach Creek pioneered the use of 10 wt shock oil. He hit the holy grail! And a lot of other tings for shooting slugs. He put long range bullet shooting on the map for us all! Not to mention casting for Airguns. ;<)

KnifeMaker

Yes Michael we removed all the choke, this was just a one of test and cannot be taken to be conclusive, but it's an expensive test to say the least.

The same batch of slugs fired from two supposedly identical barrels will quite often not shoot the same in both, slugs are very very barrel fussy there is no other explanation.

Hence what JSB needs to do is find a design that works in "most barrels" at least to an acceptable level of accuraccy, whether this is possible or not remains to be seen.

We know the PROHUNTER slugs of a very specific weight and design will shoot in more than one Daystate Redwolf of the same type and set-up, hence it may be "possible" for the manufacturer to "suggest" compatibility with some level of confidence.

The other way of course is that Daystate and LW come up with a barrel design that is not fussy, having said that FX cant do it can they!

AirSupply and Spray1Mark.... the barrel that AirSupply has is likely a 1 in 17.5 twist and might work well for slugs if he opened the leade a little and trimmed the choke some. The latest (maybe final) version of the ART barrel we've tested has shot about every pellet I could find well and a FEW of slug sizes from Nielson just as well. Interesting that a 1 in 28 twist will stabilize a 34 grain slug but it has at 100. I recently set up 150 and 200 yard plates so we could see if stability is still there and will be testing that soon. Been raining here.... oddly enough. The MKII 33.4 and Nielson 34 slug shot pretty much identically at 100... both sub moa. Note that whether it shot slugs well was not high on the priority list, just a bonus. As Spray1Mark said, the choke is light on the latest version, but it is really intended for pellets with a 1 in 28 twist.