• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

regulated marauder or regular marauder with regulator?

Ok guys, I'm new here so please let me know if I am doing anything dumb!

I really want a .22 Marauder. Like, a lot haha. So I have a few questions for you guys.

1. Level of importance 3. Can the new regulated marauder fit in the old style stock? I rather like the straight stock design compared to the new curvy one.

2. Level of importance 8. There is a banner on agnation's homepage advertising 25% off Crosman's website. I tried to use it and could not get it to work for anything! Even after having created a profile on both agnation and crosman. Is this a real promo code?

3. Level of importance 10. The new Benjamin Regulated Marauder is advertised (and I have seen video tests that prove the veracity of this claim) to provide 80 shots at 850 feet per second. I would love that. I also love my money and the gun costs just under 700 dollars. It is possible, with various holiday promotions and such, to get a regular gen III marauder on Pyramid Air for about 390 bucks. I have seen people claim to get 60-80 shots at around 850 fps out of a regular .177 marauder with a drop-in Huma regulator. How does that translate to .22? and are air chamber extensions available? are they safe?

If I could get the 25% off the crosman website, I'd bite the bullet (or pellet) and get the regulated marauder. but it seems I may need to buy a regular one and a regulator and possible extension, after which I may end up at close to the same price and may not even have matching performance. 

Any thoughts and advice are welcome, thanks a lot!

How often and how far are you trying to shoot? So many mods for Mrod out there and it may end up more mod cost than the Mrod itself. And any wrong mod is dangerous with high pressure air. Mrod is good but others have reasons for their tags. Not saying expensive is always good. I started with a 177 springer then quickly started seeking more power and accuracy. Then I realized why people called PCP "DARKSIDE". So I guess you have to figure what you really want. Accuracy, power, shot efficiency and etc. And I assume something must be going on with marauder field and target version since it is taking so long for sale. Also that 25 % coupon never worked for me either. 
Good luck!

yeah i stumbled onto a page saying the coupon was from like 2 years ago they need to take it down haha (or just make a new one ;). want to shoot all the time, out to as far as i can hit, maybe a hundred yards. want to snipe ground squirrels and the occasional rabbit. Id be happy with as low as about 800 fps, any slower than that and I think your seriously losing killing power and range.

We have the gen 1 .22cal Marauder but it is not stock we have replaced the barrel,hammer spring, and put a Huma reg.in. We have a new value, transfer tube and hammer but have not added it yet. I have done some work on the value and transfer tube. We are getting a little over 40 shots on a 3000psi fill down to 135 bar. can get a few more but they begin to drop.

yeah. Im beginning to think I may just bite the bullet and buy the regulated version. I mean my gosh, 80 shots at 850 fps? thats incredible! I just want to practice and practice and practice and I know I would get frustrated with having to fill up every 30 shots, or even 40. but I wonder about the umarex gauntlet? ive seen really good accuracy in videos, but the trigger looked visibly squidgy in the videos, you could see it budge over and over and then finally go off. still, hard to justify a gun that costs more than twice as much just for the trigger

Got the custom shop regulated version in 177 caliber. I bought it when they had a two day special 20% discount for the custom shop. I wanted to buy a gun with a regulator installed in it out of the box. I got in 13 days delivered after Christmas. I get about 70 shots 3000 psi down to 1700 psi. Still trying to find the best pellet for it. Air Arms Field Heavies 10.3 grains shoot horrible out of it at 907 fps. Does better with 8.4 grain AA Fields at 957 fps but not to my accuracy standards at 55 yards for field target. I think both are going too fast above 900 fps. Waiting for some different pellets (Crosman Premiers 10.5 grain, JSB Exact Monsters 13.4 & H&N Sniper Magnums 15 grains) to arrive from PA. Also waiting for a single shot tray to arrive. I hate loading that magazine. I have the regular Crosman barrel on it. You can get it with a Lothar Walther barrel in January. For an extra $10, I got the lifetime warranty on it. I did the lawyer spring trigger mod to get down to 1 pound pull. Good luck.

There are s LOT of variables here. I have 2 Marauders, one a gen 1 in .177, and one gen 2. I also have a gen 2 in 22. The new regulated Marauder will not fit in the older stocks. My main gen 1 Marauder has a Lane regulator in it, and I get 130 shots at 12 Ft. Lbs. This translates as an 8.44 grain pellet at about 800 FPS. You need to determine what you want to use it for, and shot count appropriate for the purpose. If you are using it for Field Target, you'll want to stick to .177..... 98% of all competitors do. I'll have a video or 2 in the middle of January showing how to install an aftermarket regulator (Lane), in my Gen 2 Marauder. Take a look at Field Target Tech Channel on U Tube, and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

Tom Holland 

The one Custom Shop marauder upgrade I would want is the LW barrel for an extra $90.00. ( Gonz did you get the LW?)

I still like the lower cost regulator and we all know the hubb works. 
Custom shop version can come with a 3 year warranty for an extra $10.00, anothe rnice option for some buyers.

Holding onto the "850fps" strictly , as in you will not be happy if it is 820fps and groups great, might noit be a good idea at this point. Same for shot count but it should get a good number.

The adjustabiltiy of the crosman reg is unknown and while one might think it should be the same principal as all regs it could have anit-tamper for a number of reasons.

Love an LW for $90.00 But if actually poor I would shop for a new marauder just over $300.00 - still has a warranty so even a bad barrel is covered- then add a $69.00 reg , adjust trigger and have a nice rifle on a budget.

John

Spysir,
​To get the 20% discount at the time, the Crosman barrel was the only thing available when I ordered it.
​Crosman Custom Shop offers a lifetime warranty not 3 years for $10.
​I am not a tinkerer when it comes to regulators. I do not want to. I can always order a LW barrel afterwards.
​The air cylinder is longer than a non-regulated version to match the same air volume capacity.
Regards,
Leo

Also, the factory regulated Mrod has an increased air tank capacity to make up for the space the regulator occupies. That's why it gets so many shots. My feeling is to let the pros do the work and let them warrenty it. I would definately buy a factory regulated model. 

Bottom line: Buy the gun you really want - even if you have to save up for a while. Studder stepping up the laddar will cost you a LOT more in the long run.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer but I started the darkside with a .25 synrod, loved it mostly, sent it out to get tuned because I could not get it adjusted to shoot the way I wanted, had a huma installed, tweeked out tuned, shoots great, great shot count, enough said right?, then bought a daystate, a fx, a taipan, now the marauder just sits in the gun safe, the same goes for sub par optics. We all enter this wonderful sport our own way. Knowing what I know now my 2 cents worth would be buy prime rib 1st. 

Xbowsniper

I really want to use it for hunting. but i would be hunting mostly squirrels with it, so ultimate power is not of the utmost importance to me, I'd rather be able to hit what Im aiming at. If I can get .5 or .75 inch groups at 50 yards at 800 fps, Id rather do that than get 1 or 1.5 inch groups at 50 at 950 fps. but I also would probably use at least a midweight pellet because Im not interested in wounding animals.

It seems to me that the marauder is almost on par with those in some ways, I mean I see people shooting dime sized groups at 40 or 50 yards. that gun will outshoot me for a long time I think. especially if I get the LW barrel. Ive also heard some people say the trigger on the mrod is the best on any gun theyve ever shot. (maybe theyve never shot an FX or Taipan,) but I know its gonna be better than what Im used to haha. Im used to a 100 dollar walmart beeman springer. powerful gun, absolutely wallops rabbits, but ive never been able to group smaller than the broadside of a barn with it. creepy, squidgy trigger + breakbarrel doesn't help. I also shoot a .270 model 70. great gun, accurate, but as i only shoot about twice a year, makes it hard to get used to the heavy single stage trigger. will be nice to get something I can potentially shoot in the back yard on a regular basis to get repetition. just cant afford to shoot on a regular basis with .270 about a dollar a round, don't have the time or space to reload, and have to drive 45 minutes to range and make a day out of it and either get into verbal confrontations with people, have people shoot during ceasefires, or have tablehoverers constantly giving advice haha. (I guess I'm too goodnatured to tell the guy to leave).