• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Regal XL vs. Matrix Squirrel..

I have not seen many squirrels around lately, and that is okay. As much as I do enjoy shooting them, it means that my time and efforts are paying off and the numbers are down. I've seen a couple here and there, but generally off in the distance and not near my property. 

Today, I saw 3 squirrels, well probably two, because I think 1 and 3 were the same squirrel. Hard to tell. They all look alike to me. 

It rained last night and early this morning, and it was cool out, maybe 48 or so. I was puttering around the garage, and to my surprise I saw a good sized nutter traveling along the fence top. I grabbed my rifle, padded seat (it was wet out there and I was trying to avoid cold, wet butt), and a small bag for the shooting table. 

He was in the back corner of the fence behind a river birch. I was encouraged by that and hoped he would not see me coming out to greet him. Unfortunately, he saw me and did not waste any time getting the heck out of Dodge. Perhaps he and I have had an encounter before? As I watched this one make his way further and further into the maple grove and away from me and some lead, I grabbed my gear, shrugged, and headed back into the garage. 

As I rounded the corner of the gate entrance, I spotted a squirrel foraging off the corner of my parking pad. Oh my, that's a gift. I did not look at her, and kept going into the garage nice and easy. Didn't matter. Busted. She hopped back into some heavy cover under the pines, but I was pretty sure she did not leave the area. 

I grabbed my shooting sticks and my folding chair and set up a yard or two back in the garage so I had some cover and she could not see me. I kept an eye out on the area, and I spotted her again on the side of a larger pine, but I did not have a shot. I just kept looking and waited. 

Finally, she drops down from the pine about 5 minutes later. She continues to forage in the area where I first saw her. I get her in the scope and wait for an opportunity. I generally like to wait until they get into some sort of feeding pattern, and take the shot as they sit back to munch on whatever they have found. She kept looking around, but wasn't really foraging. I was about to give a lip squeak when all of the sudden she just froze a perfect profile for me. Thank you. 

Okay, I have her in the scope. It's only 20 yards so I'm dead on with the crosshairs. I hesitate. Is she going to move? Still frozen. Take the shot already. Maybe..now? I finally pull the trigger and as I do she ducks right on que. 

Noooooo! The pellet slams into a backer board I have screwed into the lower portion of my neighbor's fence because I have a spinner there for some fun plinking. It whacks into the board with a smart crack, but unbelievably, she does not start. It's always so hard to tell how much noise a shot is making when you, as the shooter, hear nothing but the smack of the valve. I can only assume it was not too loud or she would have bolted. 

She goes back to foraging around the area, I chamber another pellet, and this time wait for her to pick something up to feed on. She does. I aim. The lead goes. 

POP! Eye squirt. The dance ensues. That takes care of that. 

She was quartering towards me when I pulled the trigger. My aim point was actually at the brow above the eye, but at that range with this rifle, it really doesn't matter. DRT. 

Regal XL + JSB 15.90 + Seated + tripod.

Exit after being cleaned up a bit. 
62ad66835a2191173f39734af32fa7f9.jpg

How I found her..
b415df51ad6629d66828c9105d2fc62d.jpg

Entry. Pretty noticeable eye squirt on impact. 
f2fcdd4a4a960376f8355d801264a02b.jpg

Exit 2
6cf49990aa24a20aa74c00ad9cdc62ba.jpg

Reactions: Smaug
"intenseaty22"Awesome shot. The one I posted earlier actually did the same Matrix move. It ran off, but not far, only to come back within seconds and gave me another shot. It's moments like these that I wish I could buy a camera setup already.
I know, right? Me too. It would have been very cool to film. 

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you got your follow up shot too. 

"Smaug"Beautiful shot placement. 
'seems the Regal is not as loud as it appears to be, from your standpoint. Either that, or the squirrel heard the pellet impact and the shot discharge at the same moment, and the pellet impact was louder and closer, so she tuned out the latter.

I wonder, did the bloody pellet go into your backer board?
Jeremy, 

Thanks my friend.

I think you are correct about the Regal not being that loud. As I've said, I only hear it from right next to it, and I was worried at first that it is not backyard friendly. After pesting a bit, and seeing some of the target's reactions to the shot, I think it may be quieter than I realize. 

It's funny you mentioned the pellet. I did find it embedded in the backer board, but it was just a flattened, angled piece of lead. I couldn't see any tissue or even blood in it. Looked like a small, shiny dime. The first shot blew right through that board and hit the wood pile behind it. Even if it did not, there is a berm there. Perfect place to shoot pests. 

"aviatorj74"I have a regal xl as well. I put a Donny FL Sumo on it and it is rediculously quiet now. I did quite a bit of squirrel hunting this fall with this setup and had a lot of success. Even on a miss the squirrels just sit on the tree wondering what the hell just happened. Allows for great follow up shots.
I was considering doing just that; putting a DonnyFL Sumo on it. I think it is probably not as loud as I think it is, but for now it seems okay. I was very, very surprised that squirrel didn't hightail it out of there at that first shot. 

I still may add a Sumo down the road just for fun. 

I am very happy with the Regal. It really is an heirloom quality rifle and one hell of a performer. 

Squirrels don't care for it much...:)

"intenseaty22"I love them Sumos. It makes my Cricket “Mouse Fart” Quiet, but I have seen it on an XL, and it’s a bit unsightly. Check out the Huggett Shroud, it’s very quiet and looks much better.
He is Hunting.....the Sumo can be removed for the "Beauty Show"! :p
Those squirrels are way beyond caring either way. ;)

Thurmond

"BeachGunner"
"intenseaty22"I love them Sumos. It makes my Cricket “Mouse Fart” Quiet, but I have seen it on an XL, and it’s a bit unsightly. Check out the Huggett Shroud, it’s very quiet and looks much better.
Agree that the Sumo breaks up the lines of the Regal in a not so flattering way, but the Huggett's are crazy expensive.
26ad99c6b7ca8e83b647f14a595d3d3f.jpg

Agreed on the cost. But most of these toys are expensive, as discussed recently in the forum. Here is a picture of mine. I got lucky I think and found this one used already installed for a fair price. 

It is a full Huggett Shroud. It has the fluted look to it. I bought the gun used and already had the shroud installed. Was one of the main reasons I bought it. I had it on my wish list for a while, was not really ready to purchase it yet, but did not want to let that one pass me by. Here are some more pictures if you want to check them out. 

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/intenseaty22s-regal-xl/ 

Very nice setup and I bet that is quiet. I see the back-venting on the shroud, and I hear that is critical to getting things very quiet. I'm seeing people start to drill a small 1/8's hole on the underside of their factory shrouds to help facilitate the dampening effect. I haven't looked at how the factory shroud sits near the receiver, but I might consider that. You won't be able to see it, so it if doesn't help, no harm, no foul.