• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Refinishing the air tube on a Crosman 1701P?

I have a new-to-me Crosman 1701P that I'm setting up. The pistol is in great shape functionally and mostly cosmetically too. But, the air tube has some spots in the finish and some very minor rust spots. It was that way when I got it. I'm adding a scope and different grips to set it up for NRA Air Pistol Silhouette (mostly just for my own entertainment) and I'd like to make the air tube look like new.

I'm sure somebody here has done this before so any advice would be appreciated. Is the right way to go to paint it? What are the other options? I'd rather not get into disassembling the valve assemblies, etc. since they are functioning fine. My goal is to improve the pistol cosmetically.

Thanks!

IMG_7284.1618275449.jpg

Remove the breech and barrel upper and trigger frame assembly and hammer and spring comes right out (don't even need to degass actually) be mindful don't lose the transfer port. 

Tape off the silver filler portion extra well and the transfer port hole don't want dust to go there and sand the tube with 400 then 600grit then 000 then 0000 steel wool taking note on rust spits must be sanded off. Blow with shop compressor everywhere and wipe with lint free alcohol pad hang tube on a fishing line or string in a dust free room spray it with rustoleum black. Probably 3 coats and allow proper dry time.

Yeah, Crosman tubes are ugly, lol!

You could disassemble it, as it is a very simple contrivance, but you would need to degas it, of course.

Just leave the original adjustments alone, and you should be good.

Rattle can paint is not that durable but may work fine if you are not as meticulously as me, lol!

Actually, I am in the process of building a 1701P-1720T hybrid, but I am still waiting for the shroud and other assorted parts from Crosman.

All my parts are brand new, but I will have it nickel plated or Gunkoted in silver like my PROD build.

It will have Vernon Austin and Steve Corcoran laminate furniture.

That’s some good info. I actually had thought about a wrap but I do like the idea of using Rustoleum rattle can paint. 

So you’re saying I can remove the barrel, breech, trigger frame, transfer port, hammer, and spring without degassing? I think I’d degas anyway just in case (I don’t know in case of what). In addition to taping off the silver filler portion and transfer port hole I’d need to tape off the gauge too of course.

I’d like to see someone disassemble a 1701P but the YouTube videos I’ve seen were kinda disjointed and unimpressive. Anyone know of a good one?

Darkhorse1967, I have Steve Corcoran grips and a forearm on order. 😊

If you degass it you MIGHT have a leaker after you try to refill it. The possibility is there FYI.

You aren't anywhere near striking the valve since you are removing the hammer and spring by removing the rear receiver screw and rear trigger group screw for the trigger group hammer and spring pops right out through the rear.

You aren't removing the manometer. You tape it up good too and use painters tape and try put a round piece of paper on the face of the manometer so adhesive don't etch the clear face.

I had to do it to a lot of friends guns that ended up looking like yours mostly Marauders and FIRST ONE I degassed and did the Rustoleum job leaked so I had to rebuild that dang one. Now I know better.

The barrel and breech and bolt assembly comes off all together in one piece from the air tube separated only by the TP with only the breech screws holding the entire upper on.

You're nuts if you wanna disassemble more than you have to. Just asking for complications.

Many do like to totally disassemble stuff more than necessary though. I used to like to completely disassemble things in my younger years to see their quality (or lack of).

Many even like to disassemble other brands of PCPs when not even needed by diagnosing wrong issues not related to what they disassemble who don't want to try the 2 pellet trick nor the rubber mallet and shoot the hell out of them trick that usually works to fix such issues without having to remove a single screw nor degass the gun.

FACT degassing a PCP COULD result in a leaker. Some brands are especially sensitive to bring degassed. Even brand new guns.

It's like taking the PCP OFF LIFE SUPPORT and longer it's without air more likely you guns dead when you try to revive it (air it up again). Some airgun tuners-repair people will go as far as to completely change all the gun o-rings whenever they degass a gun to work on to diagnose a problem which is the right thing to do anyway.

Take 2 pellets and call me in the morning then if that doesn't help grab your rubber mallet. Not joking here...