• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Redwolf actuator pin replacement

Can someone tell me or post a photo of the current Redwolfs loading port showing what they have done for the actuator pin replacement.

Is it just a cover plate or does it have to be blocked of at the bottom of the pin hole.

l have heard AOA have them not sure if it’s there own or a Daystate factory version and do they sell them.

Any feed back would be great.

Here are the old and new parts. 

20200916_131017.1629718894.jpg

It should be an easy conversion. In my case, the two small hex head screws were way too tight, and both stripped, and I had to drill them out. Not a big deal, but then the cup that holds the old style pin wouldn't come out, so I ended up sending it to Steve at AOA and he installed the new plug/pin. I assume he set the action in a press or mill and then pulled the cup out, it was pressed in tight. Hopefully yours will come apart easily. I have found that Daystate consistently overtightens stuff, and also uses non-standard sizes, sometimes mixing metric with SAE. 

Hey guys, I would also like to chime in and ask, what is the difference between the two indexing pins function wise? 
I own a RW in.177 HP purchased last Nov, so if I have the newer 13 rounds self indexing type (that uses a spring to cycle the pellets) do I even need an indexing pin?

Also, I was told by a helpful member here some time ago, that if I have the new self indexing type mag - I should ask AOA to disable the indexing pin (that's on the gun's receiver, see pic attached) which would get me higher shot count at all power levels --(since the newer mag self indexing type uses a spring to cycle the pellets - when with the old style mag the gun would have to use little bit of air each time the magazine cycles)?
Thanks a lot!

Ari
Red Wolf Breech.1623485690 1.1629757257.jpg

Ari, you don't really need the new pin/plug. You can change it out now, if you have no plans to use the old style mags, or just wait for it to break, if ever. As for the higher shot count, I don't think you'll see any significant difference there.

Thanks for that. So just out of curiosity, when looking at aussiegav's question, wouldn't it be easier for him to just get the newer self indexing type mag and thus eliminate the need for an indexing pin, instead of going through the pin conversion process?

Thanks!

It should be an easy conversion. In my case, the two small hex head screws were way too tight, and both stripped, and I had to drill them out. Not a big deal, but then the cup that holds the old style pin wouldn't come out, so I ended up sending it to Steve at AOA and he installed the new plug/pin. I assume he set the action in a press or mill and then pulled the cup out, it was pressed in tight. Hopefully yours will come apart easily. I have found that Daystate consistently overtightens stuff, and also uses non-standard sizes, sometimes mixing metric with SAE.

Yes I have had to replace my pin a few times and wanted to know what they were doing for the fix.

I am getting a bit sick of it so I will do this and get the new magazines.

Thank you elho102 for your help.

The danger is that the pin breaks and is lodged under the new style magazine, this can mean a total stripdown to remove it.

FYI there are actually 3 variants of the pin now, as the latest valve cores do not have the bleed path and therefore the bottom pin has nowhere to seat, it has to be cut off just leaving the top protrusion.

The gun does not use any "extra" air to cycle the mag, it's bled air.

Ari, you don't really need the new pin/plug. You can change it out now, if you have no plans to use the old style mags, or just wait for it to break, if ever. As for the higher shot count, I don't think you'll see any significant difference there.

Thanks for that. So just out of curiosity, when looking at aussiegav's question, wouldn't it be easier for him to just get the newer self indexing type mag and thus eliminate the need for an indexing pin, instead of going through the pin conversion process?

Thanks!

I believe your question was answered above. Yes, the new style mag nullifies the need for the indexing pin, but it still operates within the recess of the new mag, and still has the same potential to break and jam the mag's operation. IMO, if you're not using the older mag than requires it, better to change it out for the plug and avoid the risk of breakage.