• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Reduced Power FX Wildcat

Noticed when I was benchmarking my .22 FX Wildcat that the report is greatly reduced when MV is around 800 fps (off regulator) versus 890 fps (on regulator). I'm shooting 18.1 JSB's. This probably isn't a surprise to the more experienced forum members and now makes sense to me - less MV equals significantly less report. Has anyone purposely lowered the MV of their .22 Wildcat? How did you go about making the required changes? Did the changes result in increased shot count & by how much? Is their a loss in accuracy at reduced MV?

Currently, My Wildcat shoots 7mm c-t-c groups at 30 yards & I'm a terrible shot, so changing this gun seems like nothing but risk. But, if someone has had success, with a lower power tune, I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Thanks AGN.

Same here Scott, the factory Wildcat is way too loud for me. I've also tried the factory stackable moderator as well as the Huggett & one of Mr. Clauge's designs. All three I've tried work well to reduce report, but Neil's is just a bit better & looks the best in my opinion.

Nevertheless, I still want more and am wondering if reducing FPE is a viable option. So, what say you?

You could wind your Hammer Spring Tensioner all the way out (note exactly how many turns, eg 3 and a quarter) and try it there.

That would take enough power off to make a significant loudness difference. Chronograph again and see how it groups.

If it doesn't group, you could go halfway or all the way back to your original setting. Nothing lost. Risk = trivial.