• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Red wolf power level

Max pressure is 4500. The red wolf is absolutely regulated. I run mine all the way down to 140 bar and once below r]the regulated pressure, you notice the difference. Yes, you can manipulate variables but why bother? Shoot the proper pellet / slug and you’ll get about 65 lb at the muzzle. If you want more power, look for heavier slugs. More speed pushes the sound barrier and you’ll loose all accuracy. Unless you go well over 1100 fps…

Now this might not be popular .... having owned 2 RedWolfs, been inside both to alter porting, installed HeliBoards etc ...
IMO the Lack of poppet to throat size/ volume and size of transfer path, these RW rifles are severely limited in output in the larger calibers IMO.

Now I've not seen inside a factory .30 RW :unsure: So they might be altering those specs over the lessor calibers ?
If typical to most manufacturers with several calibers in the same platform, could go either way.

JMO

Reactions: Airgunmann
Max pressure is 4500. The red wolf is absolutely regulated. I run mine all the way down to 140 bar and once below r]the regulated pressure, you notice the difference. Yes, you can manipulate variables but why bother? Shoot the proper pellet / slug and you’ll get about 65 lb at the muzzle. If you want more power, look for heavier slugs. More speed pushes the sound barrier and you’ll loose all accuracy. Unless you go well over 1100 fps…
Not sure where you come by that info but max pressure recommended is 250 bar or 3675 psi. They are DEFINITELY NOT regulated from the factory. All velocity regulation is done by sensing pressure and altering hammer strike with electronic control.

Current GCU2 versions will not be surpassed by going to the Heliboard... it just has a friendlier interface with more options. The bottleneck for velocity is is the valve. The 25 and 30 cals have exactly the same porting. In 30, it strikes me that the max is 88 ft lb... that seems low on reflection, but I think it's close. There IS a bottle throughput modification that puts it just over 100 ft lb and simultaneously increases efficiency. I'm really not sure of the status of current rifles for this porting and not sure if AoA is still offering it. What it does is reduce the choke point of the bottle block port so the bottle becomes the plenum or at least close enough... keeping the pressure at the valve higher during the shot cycle.

Martin, You didn't say what actual power you were getting.

For our 22s, we're running Heliboards and this mod allowed a reduction by 2 volts and a little fine tuning went from about 45 shots @ 52 ft lb to over 60. Part of this is that mine started dropping velocity at about 185 bar and now it goes down to 168 while still maintaining 52 ft lb easily. The wife's goes down to 160 bar and still maintains 52 ft lb. The 25 cals have even been more improvement.

There is also valve work like @Motorhead documented but even with that, the actual transfer port can't be increased significantly so flow is going to be damped there, no matter what you try to do. The higher pressure afforded by the bottle block mod is still the most effect.

Bob

I've got to correct you as well. The Red Wolf is 100% UNREGULATED. The valve sees the pressure in the bottle. The computer has a map in it of bottle pressure and applies a different voltage and hammer dwell - via the solenoid timing - to get the output power to be consistent.

Reactions: Centercut
I wish I knew enough about the internal to help you here since you went from .22 to .30. There could be differences - it could be a simple as the MAP programming for power levels is different on a stock .22 versus .30. Do you know which GCU you have? 1 or 2? You can tell by if the rifle uses a 2S or 3S Lipo pack.

I recently picked up a new old stock .30 RW with the GCU2 and I am shooting JSB 44gr spot on at 80 fpe. While I haven't gone long distance I am getting a single hole no larger than a pellet across the 8 shot mag at 12 yards right now. I suspect I will be very pleased at distance as I was with the .25 RW when I went out to 100 yards.

I don't know how 22s are currently being shipped but it's not difficult to check your valve port. Just take off the scope and the 2 screws that secure the barrel. Pull the barrel and look down the front screw hole. You should be able to see the valve stem. The largest that the port in the valve and the frame can be is the diameter of the front screw hole. It might be difficult to tell if it's smaller but you can use the smooth end of a drill bit that's as close of size to the threaded grub screw hole to tell. I can probably find the right size if you need. It should go all the way in and be able to touch the valve stem. If not, you have a restricted valve body intended for 22. The 25s and 30s are the max size as described above but Daystate DID make 22s smaller ported and 177s even smaller in the past and may still do so. There is some advantage in shot consistency for this but I've not had any problems running the max porting for all. The frame and valve body COULD be drilled out but it's a delicate thing for the valve body... not much excess brass there.
If the port is smaller, you will have a decision to make... the frame could be drilled out simply enough and a valve body puchased from AoA or they could do the upgrade. I have no idea of the cost though.
The 30 should EASILY make 80 ft lb and really shouldn't be taxed much to hit 88 if it has the right porting.
Bob