• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

recommendations

hi - im a new guy to the air gun nation - getting back into shooting bbs and pellets after many many years. mainly plinking and targets and maybe a wayward crow. going to purchase my first air gun rifle - leaning towards co2 and currently enamored with the crosman bushmaster mpw as an initial starting place. I would appreciate any thoughts on that rifle or if i should be looking elsewhere. i suspect that if its similar to my other leisure pursuits (like archery) there upgrades in the future and many levels of quality and price points. thanks for any input. Bob

I'd say it depends on what you want to do.. If you are thinking fully auto BB, the Umarex M1a1 seems to get the most raves around most of the forums I read on, I'm considering picking one up myself but that MPW seems pretty nice too.

For more leisurely plinking or pesting, I'd pick a .177 or .22 pellet rifle. PCP is always the best but it's a whole big thing to get pump or air supply, etc.. I just bought my son his first CO2 carbine, a Crosman 2400KT with the stock and it ticks a lot of boxes. Dead simple, powerful enough for limited pesting (in our case, pigeons within 15 yards), good for plinking, etc... The other CO2 rifle I'd consider is a bit expensive but looks nice, the Hammerli Air magnum M2. But at that price you're almost better off getting a cheap PCP and pump.

Welcome to the forum. There are truly a plethora of air gun options these days so the choice won't be easy. If you are going to do any pesting at all, I would stay away from CO2. They are way too dependent on ambient temperature and even under optimal conditions don't have umph to take a critter ethically. A quality break barrel or under lever will do what you want perfectly but whatever you do, stay away from the Walmart "More than 1000 fps!" pellet rifles. Speed is not your friend with a diabolo pellet and the recoil on those things make them hard to shoot well. Many on this forum recommend HW springers (https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-rifles?lang=en). Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Hello and welcome from Indiana! If your like me, a "budding" airgunner, then I would keep it simple at first. I have learned that the airgun world is a different animal than what I am used to in other shooting pursuits.

I have just three air rifles, two NP's and one Springer. I have three air pistols, one pump, one NP, and one CO2...I like the CO2 Diana one the best of the three. I plan on getting deeper into airgunning, and have backed off a bit on the firearms...sounds strange, but the older I get, I prefer airguns more.

There are some on this forum who have forgot more about airgunning, than I will probably ever know, but I'm learning, and I have learned a lot from just reading some of the posts that they have made on this forum.

Good Luck!

Welcome,

;As others have stated, it all depends on what your goal will be. if you just want low power, shoot in the basement, or 10-20 yards plinking at paper, cans, spinners, a Co2 can be a lot of fun. I just picked up the Diana Chaser pistol/rifle combo and having a blast with it in my basement range (30 ft). But power wise wouldn't want to shoot at anything for a clean kill. If you are looking cheap a Daisy 880 multipump with cheap 4x scope can be a decent alternative just a little above the CO2 for power, but light weight, easy to shoot, Might be good for chipmunk, sparrows, starlings out to 15 yards or so.

If pesting is going to be your plan at further distances either a good springer, or PCP is a better choice, and you can also use them for fun plinking. The Benjamin Marauder is a great choice in my Opinion for a good starter PCP. When you go into the PCP world, air supply is your biggest drawback. Pumping a marauder isn't too bad, but if you are going to do a lot of plinking or shooting, pumping gets old really fast. Before long you will be wanting to get your own compressor, and of course a spare tank for refilling at the range or when you are away from the compressor. 

Then you will probably get hooked on the accuracy pursuit and want something better. Beware.

Overall though to answer your last question, Yes, a Benjamin Marauder is a good choice for entry level PCP.

Enjoy the sport, and be safe, and have a lot of fun.

Do consider whatever the least costly version of the QB78 you can find. Wallyworld has them for $65ish often and naturally most all stores & dealers. The rugged simple value in Co2 rifles.

Full/semi auto I wouldnt know.

Entry level pcp, crosman/benjamin for their value, warrent & service hands donw (tho very odd changes at crosman on the web site at least). Don't over look used.

And DO look for a local airgunner to shoot what they have 1st.

John