• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Reason for shooting less than a 5 or 10 shot group when checking for accuracy

I personally use nothing but 5 or 10 shot groups. I'm sure all of us have had a stellar 3 shot group going and then had a flyer on the 4th or 5th shot which ruined the group. Stopping at three shots limits the statistical probability of a poorer group. I feel that 10 shot groups are better at showing the true accuracy potential of a gun/pellet combo. Even better yet is multiple 10 shot groups over multiple shooting days. I'm doing this right now for a new .22LR, 3rd day of testing ammos with 10 shot groups @ 100Y.

For me, when shooting hunter class field target style (sittin' on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks) I felt that I could get more "lucke tight groups" than when shooting a 5 shot group, however whenever I shot a 10+ shot group the size was more dependent on the shooter (ME) than the pellet/gun being tested.

LOL....years ago when I sold a "tuned by me" .177 R9 to my brother he started shooting the "powder burner 3 shot groups" he was familiar with and shot these two 50 yard groups at one sitting from a bench...........

QDfRViZl.jpg
[/url][/img]

LOL....I told him that a tight 3 shot group was "dumb luck", but since he had two "dumb luck groups" at one sitting I figured that 6 50 yard shots at 3/8" ctc (or better) was at least as good as one 5 shot group.😋

Here are a few 5 shot and larger shot count groups shot swaying on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks.........

Notice the 5 shot "bucket and sticks" 40 yard group and 5 shot 50 yard group on this target. If the 5 shot 40 yard and 50 yard groups were combined into one 10 shot group the group would have been larger ctc that the 50 yarder. In this case a ten shot group was measuring THE SHOOTER as well as the equipment!

Here is a 20 shot 50 yard "bucket and sticks" target where 15 out of 20 CPLs went through a 3/4" diameter killzone..........

Here is a 50 yard "bucket and sticks" group with "4 CPLs in and one flier". LOL.....I'm guessing the "flier" was "shooter induced" but I don't know.........

LOL....I only shot 4 CPLs into this group preventing a "5th flier".............

Here is a 10 shot "bucket and sticks group" shot upstairs at only 18 yards. LOL....another "flier out of the group" that I'm guessing is "shooter induced" because I really don't blame that "flier" on the equipment...........

Bottom line, shoot whatever groups give you adequate accuracy feedback be it 3 shot or 20 shot! Hummmm......one shot groups are always "one holers"! 😲

For pellet testing, I can generally tell if the pellet is or isn’t going to work in my gun within 5 pellets.

However, I will always test an entire magazine worth to see how the pellet copes with being indexed within it.

Here you go, the top group in the target is an 8 shot group single loaded

the middle group is an entire 17 shot magazine worth

To give an idea of scale the pellet below the target is a .177 pellet that I pushed into a 4 shot single loaded group.

this group was shot at 45yards with my .177 mfr 8.4grn Air-arms fields at 780fps outside .

1556481392_13842519435cc605701b4145.67507079_812FB6E5-EBE0-4CA4-9043-75498EA45962.jpeg

Bb

Good reasoning. And if that one holer is where you want it, even better!

LOL....good point! A few years ago I used my CAD software to make some "50 & 100 bull targets" for practice upstairs at 18 yards. The intention was to TRY improving my "bucket and sticks" shooting form by shooting one pellet at each bull like this................

The idea was to TRY putting the pellet INSIDE the bull, however if the circle was clipped I counted it a hit. If the circle aimed at was missed completely the shot was considered a miss.

Here a couple more targets showing that the accuracy of supposedly 4.52mm JSB Exacts was better from my tighter leade .177 HW95 than my older looser leade .177 Beeman R9, even at only 18 yards............

Anywhoo....shooting one pellet per bull does help "sort things out".

For me, I personally believe in 5 shot groups for testing ammo/gun accuracy and it's only my opinion. 10 shot groups shows the shooter's skill but to also include the accuracy of the gun and ammo being used.

I'd rather shoot 5 shot groups and multiple groups taking breaks between each group to lessen the strain on the eyes constantly looking through a tube. It works for me.

I think it's a choice between the number of shots that minimizes the impact of variables, but limiting it to a number that doesn't create them, such as barrel fouling, shooter fatigue, consistent air pressure, etc.

In most cases, a known rifle will probably demonstrate the accuracy potential of a pellet within 10 shots. Extremely unacceptable pellets may be obvious in 5 or less. The answer will vary with rifle/shooter/pellet. I believe the only single answer is, more is better, statistically, provided the number is not introducing significant new variables.