• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Re cutting the crown on an air rifle barrel.

If you ask Me about the Manson Fixed Pilot guide rods....***corrected MANSON Crown Cutter system****
These are expanding Mandrel guide rods..
When not "expanded", it is a loose fit.
Once you insert the guide rod, with the specified amount of guide rod Protrusion.
The Pilot Guide Rod is Expanded, Fixing it in place!
It does not rotate... No scratching or harm to the Barrel!!

Once the crown is cut, you Loosen the Guide Rod.
As you retract and withdraw the guide rod, the swarf brush will sweep away and metal chips that may have entered the Bore!!
Result, Clean bore, free of any damage, and perfect 11° crown......

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
If you ask Me about the Mason Fixed Pilot guide rods....
These are expanding Mandrel guide rods..
When not "expanded", it is a loose fit.
Once you insert the guide rod, with the specified amount of guide rod Protrusion.
The Pilot Guide Rod is Expanded, Fixing it in place!
It does not rotate... No scratching or harm to the Barrel!!

Once the crown is cut, you Loosen the Guide Rod.
As you retract and withdraw the guide rod, the swarf brush will sweep away and metal chips that may have entered the Bore!!
Result, Clean bore, free of any damage, and perfect 11° crown......
So these expanding pilots work on chocked barrels.

Okay, how is this floating pilot going to work for a choked barrel. Is the pilot tapered.
One approach is to size the pilot to the choke. The pilot needn’t be so long that it extends past the choke.

Another approach is to use an expandable pilot that locks into the bore, and allow the pilot to spin within the cutter head.

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
For those in the audience, it's MaNson. Manson reamers is a well-established and venerable company for powder-burner reamers and gunsmithing tools. The tool shown was really designed for manual use (i.e. without a lathe). If you choose to use it in a lathe that's fine (and probably works great), but unnecessary, imo.

Ignoring chokes, pilots come in two flavors: fixed and rotating. If you use the rotating pilot, Manson (and all the other reamer makers) offer 'kits' with pilots in 0.0001" intervals. Which is to say, excruciatingly exact. Find the pilot that just slides into your bore (where the next size will not) and you have something that will accurately center your tool. Kinda* Fixed pilots are typically cut to nominal size and are really made for hand reaming, where you need something to guide the reamer, or other cutter, along the path of the bore. The pilot or the bore spins and may result in marring, but properly used this doesn't really happen.

In a lathe you can set everything up rigidly, in which case you don't want a pilot trying to move stuff away from where you have it set, or you can use a 'floating' reamer / cutter holder in conjunction with a piloted tool to try to let the pilot guide the way. You still have to set stuff up pretty much centered as the 'float' is usually only a few thousandths and you really don't want to use even that much. Because I have a lathe, I'm mostly in the first camp - rigid setup, dialed in exactly as I want it, and no pilot, but there are times when I will resort to a floating reamer holder - sometimes out of necessity and other times because I don't think it will matter and the piloted tool is more convenient.

I really don't have the experience to speak about the effect of chokes - definitely a complication for a piloted tool.

"All this I say by way of discourse. I should not speak so freely were it my due to be believed." - Michel de Montaigne

GsT

* The fact that the bushing can spin is proof that there is clearance there as well. So, although a bushing might be fitted to within 0.0001" (do you realize how absolutely close that is?!!!) there is some additional clearance for the bushing 'axle'. Using my calibrated fingers, I'd say it's somewhere around 0.0005", so significantly more 'slop' than the fit of the bushing might suggest. Of course I have only a few bushing sets (they're expensive) and mine might all be from the same manufacturer, so results may vary...

Reactions: nervoustrig
I think the brass screw trick is amazing personally for how simple it is
20240421_203524.jpg
20240421_203612.jpg
20240422_165011.jpg

I just put the first 50 or so pellets through a fresh recrown done with a brass lap and I am very pleased with the preliminary result . The gun was accurate to start but every time I look at the crown I wondered how it's accuracy was possible so after seeing the post by Dairyboy about his Taipan and my thoughts of everything can always be better I tore into my Taipan thinking will it ever be the same.

One thing that caught me by surprise was the rifling on my Taipan is different than the rifling on Dairyboy's Taipan. I went a little deeper on the crown than I would have if I had known my lands and grooves weren't square. Which leads me to the question, what kind of barrel is this and what kind of barrel is on Dairyboy's?

This is what I started with.
20221007_202429.jpg
20221007_184842.jpg

This is what I end up with.
20240510_131146.jpg
20240510_131115 (1).jpg

I just put the first 50 or so pellets through a fresh recrown done with a brass lap and I am very pleased with the preliminary result . The gun was accurate to start but every time I look at the crown I wondered how it's accuracy was possible so after seeing the post by Dairyboy about his Taipan and my thoughts of everything can always be better I tore into my Taipan thinking will it ever be the same.

One thing that caught me by surprise was the rifling on my Taipan is different than the rifling on Dairyboy's Taipan. I went a little deeper on the crown than I would have if I had known my lands and grooves weren't square. Which leads me to the question, what kind of barrel is this and what kind of barrel is on Dairyboy's?

This is what I started with.
View attachment 463572View attachment 463571
This is what I end up with.
View attachment 463573View attachment 463574
That's really interesting. Is this one of the newer Taipans? The Vet 2s? If I'm not mistaken mine is a CZ barrel standard 12 land and groove. Not really choked besides the burrs it had lol. That looks like a poly barrel but unlike anyone I've seen before. The crown looks great now though!

That's really interesting. Is this one of the newer Taipans? The Vet 2s? If I'm not mistaken mine is a CZ barrel standard 12 land and groove. Not really choked besides the burrs it had lol. That looks like a poly barrel but unlike anyone I've seen before. The crown looks great now though!
Thanks I appreciate it, it's a vet standard and for the barrels at this moment I am a little confused.

This is what I think I know, the veteran came with a CZ barrel and then a Lothar Walther barrel for a period of time ( I don't know how long) the .177 did I'm not sure about the .22 and the .25 still does then back to the CZ .

I have three guns that are advertised with CZ barrels two vet's a .177 and .22 and a .177 AGT Vixen and they all look the same just like the pics I have posted. I have read somewhere that the airgun manufacturers from the Czech Republic advertise CZ barrels on their guns but they are not necessarily barrels from the Ceska zobrojovka Uhersky Brod arms manufacturers company they are most likely form a barrel manufacturer in the Czech Republic hence the CZ.

Now I have no idea if any of this is right this is just my understanding that I've pieced together on the internet so please don't take any of this as gospel .

If anyone has the real story I'd like to read it.

What ever it is the pellets go where I point them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy