• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

RAW TM1000x .177 moderators

I've tried a couple different Donny FL moderators, an Impulse Air IA-1200, as well as 2 of my own design. I found the IA to be slightly better than the others I've tried. I'm also shooting the JSB Monsters at 810fps. These moderators and super well machined, they are customizable, and work great. I use them on both my RAW's.

Both RAWs.jpg

Tom,
It is unlikely adding a moderator to a rifle will ever actually improve accuracy. Your best hope is to find one that does not reduce your accuracy. Air splitters however might enhance the accuracy a small bit but ultimately it is your barrel, your tune and your ability. For moderators, I tend to go up a size larger than the pellet I am shooting to help reduce the chance of clipping. 177 use 20 or 22, 22 use 25, etc,,, The best ones I have used are the round Weihrauch ones but you can no longer buy them. I have one on my RAW pistol which is very loud by the way, and it tames it down to a puff. Interesting thing on that is I am using a much larger bore on that moderator and it still makes it whisper quiet. I am using one I had reamed out for a 30 cal Wolverine I had and now using it on my 20 cal RAW pistol. It works very well.
Thx
Dan
thumbnail_20240506_185450.jpg

The Weihrauch moderator shown above is very effective at reducing sound, but it does not have an air stripper positioned just ahead of the barrel muzzle. This means that unless your airgun has an active shroud with its own air stripper, powerful PCPs may have groups open when the Weihrauch mod is attached.

The IA moderator shown in the OP has baffles that act as air strippers, and so would be able to improve groups over shooting bare muzzle. Especially with an unshrouded barrel.

Tom,
It is unlikely adding a moderator to a rifle will ever actually improve accuracy. Your best hope is to find one that does not reduce your accuracy. Air splitters however might enhance the accuracy a small bit but ultimately it is your barrel, your tune and your ability. For moderators, I tend to go up a size larger than the pellet I am shooting to help reduce the chance of clipping. 177 use 20 or 22, 22 use 25, etc,,, The best ones I have used are the round Weihrauch ones but you can no longer buy them. I have one on my RAW pistol which is very loud by the way, and it tames it down to a puff. Interesting thing on that is I am using a much larger bore on that moderator and it still makes it whisper quiet. I am using one I had reamed out for a 30 cal Wolverine I had and now using it on my 20 cal RAW pistol. It works very well.
Thx
Dan
View attachment 462422

Dan

I normally do buy a moderator one caliber higher than my rifle, for the reasons you mentioned.

The Weihrauch moderator on my HW100 .22 Carbine works ver well.

Tx…Tom

Reactions: dgeesaman
I've tried a couple different Donny FL moderators, an Impulse Air IA-1200, as well as 2 of my own design. I found the IA to be slightly better than the others I've tried. I'm also shooting the JSB Monsters at 810fps. These moderators and super well machined, they are customizable, and work great. I use them on both my RAW's.

View attachment 462412

Thanks Zack. Music to my ears, because not all moderators are equal.

I have a call into “Scout” at Impulse Air now.

Subscriber - Thanks for the explanation of how they work.

I shot BR using the same set up on my TM1000. I shot it bare barrel. Why do you need a moderator? Other than make it quieter. Matches are usually held at shooting ranges where PBs are used. Who cares about noise.

Thanks Paul, see my PM. I guess I was a little ‘gun shy’ after having issues with the 16.2g JSB, and I was curious as to what folks are doing. This RAW and the .177 caliber are brand new to me so I am in learning mode.

Thanks Zack. Music to my ears, because not all moderators are equal.

I have a call into “Scout” at Impulse Air now.

Subscriber - Thanks for the explanation of how they work.
Impulse Air does have a few sales throughout the year. I've gotten all 3 of my moderators directly from them. The ship quickly and package the moderators extremely well. I've been super happy with them.

Also, the new Donny FL moderators (with the quick detach mechanism) look to improve on previous designs, so they may work really well too. I just haven't read a lot of feedback on them.

Good Luck!

Impulse Air does have a few sales throughout the year. I've gotten all 3 of my moderators directly from them. The ship quickly and package the moderators extremely well. I've been super happy with them.

Also, the new Donny FL moderators (with the quick detach mechanism) look to improve on previous designs, so they may work really well too. I just haven't read a lot of feedback on them.

Good Luck!

I dealt with “Scout” at Impulse Air and we had a good discussion on their testing, and the rifles they used to test with their moderators.

I ordered the blue IA-1200 .22 caliber moderator yesterday.

Tom

View attachment 462412
Are they letting us discuss moderators again?

Are they letting us discuss moderators again?
We CAN discuss manufactured moderators. Below was from a AGN moderator

*Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Hope that helps.

*Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Hope that helps.
I guess the term “customizable” caused my question. Thanks 🇺🇸

Reactions: Pea-shooter O.G.
I dealt with “Scout” at Impulse Air and we had a good discussion on their testing, and the rifles they used to test with their moderators.

I ordered the blue IA-1200 .22 caliber moderator yesterday.

Tom
Keep us posted with your experience using the moderator. Pitch/tone, dB reduction and overall satisfaction.

Jason

Reactions: tommyb

Hope that helps.
Was there a reason for this change - are there any laws that changed that we should be aware of? Just curious...

No laws have changed. If I remember correctly, I think there was concern about discussions of DIY moderators and thread adapter size that skirted close to questionable territory. I think to keep this site and the community off any radars, the rule of discussion of such topics came about.
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation