RAW REPORT

Not by age due to the fact they didn’t want their pic taken together because they all think they are better then the other but anyway top to bottom goes like this. Texan 45 the Air Hog, WildCat Patriot.25 the plinkster, HMx 357 the Hammer and on the bottom is the newest member to the family the HMx 30 also known as Thumper. Bwaaahahaha......Thanks.

Nice family Imold

On the other theme going on here.
I have not washed and lubed pellets.
I have not sorted yet.
That said, I have bought a pellet head gauge and will be sorting head sizes for .22 in the not to distant future.
I think it is a diminishing returns thing.

BUT, even shooting local matches for fun you can look at my last score of a 709.
Out of 750 it is a 94.5% percent of a perfect score. 
The good shooters on a good day shoot at 99%.
That is using every last bit of diminishing return that you can get.
So as someone said for competitive shooting weigh and size is a necessity.
I know there are shots that were flyers during a match or practice that would not have been there had I weighed and sized.

Wash and lube jury is out in my opinion.

Terry,
I'm on your side here that shooting competition this would be something that I may be interested in. I think I saw a video with Ken doing this and at that time I was not thinking that I would be doing this. If you are shooting competition, you will do anything you can to take all possible variables out of play.

That said when I was shooting Hi-Power and Small bore silhouette I ordered bullets by the case qty to maximize my chances of getting tips from the same lots.

So, What equipment is required? The die that you mentioned and a standard single position press?

Craig

I agree on both sides of the argument , for pleasure I think it would take away from the pleasure making it more of a job.

I was just supporting an earlier comment that it does benefit competitive shooting.

There are several different measuring devices.
The nicest I have seen is one that uses air and a machined bore to measure pressure loss around the head of a pellet.
Slick stuff.
As I will just be starting out there is a simple pellet gauge that using holes in sizes increasing in .01mm dimensions over the 5.5mm range.
You push the pellet into the ones it fits into the and sort into a tin with all like sized pellet heads.
Tedious at best, but no more so than doing hand loading for ammo.
It may not save you money like hand loading but it may take a persons scores from good to one tier higher up the food chain.

Honestly I don't think my scores are enough that it will increase my scores that much, there are other areas that will
get my scores up higher at this point. 
But someday, it will make a difference.

I just looked at more info on the air gauge. Interesting concept used in the precision machining industry even to this date. If i were to feel the need to go there it would be air gauge.

Like you mentioned the most uncontrollable variable was the shooter in my case. The quality of sleep the night before, clear mind (not thinking about work), low amounts of caffeine (this one was tough), good practice sessions.

I really do miss competitive shooting. I may wonder outside of the state once this year to see how it goes.

Craig

I honestly tried to measure the pellets and half way through a tin I was over it. Mainly because the tin was basically the same. I do wash my pellets. Just because it' quick and easy. 2 tins of pellets washed in 15 min. Let sit and dry. I also do it so I don't run dirty pellets down the barrel. Waist of time? It might be for the jsb pellets on the .30. I didn' see much lead dust or debris come off. Unsorted I get moa at 100 no problem. But when I get to my destination I probably have to sort and test.
Craig got it right. I did take the fun away from shooting. I spent 2hrs one night doing it and got 2 different numbers. I through all back in the tin.
Saved up enough for another raw gun but now I am spending it on my move. The things we do for our wives and family!!!!
Terry, since my .30 is considered a firearm in az, do I have to register it?

hi guys Ken does the video of the air sorting with the prass and Tomcat does the full vids going through a to z on washing sizing and sorting im no pro shooter ,,,but i do know not one does not go through this process ,anything to gain an edge even if it increases your ability on a small scale,,,,,,jim looking at the at the family photo of your outlawsi notice a difference in the 2 raw stocks,,on the bottom heal as it meets the butt pad the walnut stays round and the laminate goes flat ,illusion ,,?

Well, we finally got some warmer, calm weather today, so I decided to go shoot a few groups. I decided to turn my hammer spring tension back down to where Martin had it set (initially I had added a 1/2 turn, so I took that back out). I shot 8, 5 shot groups at 50 yards, from my benchrest setup (see below). Four groups were shot with the JSB heavy Mk I pellets, 4 were shot with the JSB heavy Mk II pellets.

Overview photos are below, along with the highlights of the best groups-including the tightest 4 shot group I've ever shot, or seen in my life (I got all mental on the last shot, and completely shanked it!). Tightest 5 shot group with the Mk I heavies was 0.240" ctc, tightest 4 shot group with the same pellets: 0.078" ctc! Talk about blown away! I had to remove the target and measure the holes in the wood to double check I was measuring correctly. Actually-shanking that last shot give a nice comparison of what a single, .25 cal hole looks like next to the 4 shot group. I couldn't believe it-they were literally dropping into the exact same spot, shot after shot!

Setup photo:

95b0ea4f390804eb2bb8d85ee92481f9.jpg

Overall photo of the 8 groups (Mk I pellets are on the left column, Mk II pellets are on the right column):

9756823c1cf4bbe8225599b39518c963.jpg

Optical / App measurement of top left group (0.240", ctc, 5 shot group):

b88a5157a96fcffcf1d547399533bcf7.jpg

Measurement of the hole in the wood from the same group:

b0553e723ce911f3a913567c78153e46.jpg

Tightest 4 shot group at the bottom left (0.078" ctc, 4 shot group, 50 yards):

7cd3a401f7f5129a49531367ad5ca7f1.jpg

Measurement of the hole in the wood from the same group:

410071c4133d1610d77c11da3def224a.jpg

Photo of the wood, showing the perspective of 1 single .25 cal JSB Heavy hole next to the 4 shot group:

850285180d633be7708e9df95a38b781.jpg

And the weather conditions (for those of you in Arizona. Florida, etc that don't get to enjoy this beautiful weather!):

836641b6e22e0e9c0e69f7496335efb4.jpg

To same I'm pleased is a significant understatement! I'm blown away at the accuracy potential of this gun / combo! Again, these are all unwashed, unweighed, unsorted, unlubed pellets-straight out of the tin.

Sean

"crgabel"Sean,
Great shooting!
It's sad for me to report that all groups are disqualified because of the nice warm tea shown in your first photo. Such devices that support warmth and comfortable a atmosphere are strictly prohibited during shooting sessions. LOL
Nice work man.
Craig
LOL, thanks! Yeah, stupid me-today was the first day that it dawned on me to take tea outside while shooting so I could warm up my numb fingers as I shot! I drink tea all the time-you would think that one would have dawned on me...

BTW, the wind started to pick up a bit during the two middle groups on the right column, and the third group down on the left column. Not much, but it wasn't 'calm' for those groups like it was for the others.

Oh, and I may or may not have accidentally (?) put an order in for an Athlon Argos 8-34 x 56 scope to free up my current scope for my son or daughter. There was a 15% off Midway coupon that landed in my inbox, and I saw it qualified-so I was essentially *forced* to do it... At least, that's my story for when I break the news to my wife...

Sean

SEAN CRAIG and the core everyone loves new scopes im gonna need one soon also,,talked to a few airgunners that take the scope companies on there pledge to sell scopes up to 50 %off the price limit 2 scopes a year.. if u can provide a dd 214 card copy or med certificate,,, dont know if any you guys are fist responders ,,if you are or have been ,,,many many thanks to you ,,,pat