• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW /FX hybrid slugs?

John

I had no luck with various slugs in my .22 HP Poly barrel. Best projectile for me was the JSB 25g RD. I did have the .30 RAW barrel also, and it shot the JSB 44g best, and the JSB 50.1 was good, not great. Never tried the slugs for the .30 cal. I have not seen many RAWs that have been successful with slugs here on AGN. 

Following....for others’ experience.

John

I had no luck with various slugs in my .22 HP Poly barrel. Best projectile for me was the JSB 25g RD. I did have the .30 RAW barrel also, and it shot the JSB 44g best, and the JSB 50.1 was good, not great. Never tried the slugs for the .30 cal. I have not seen many RAWs that have been successful with slugs here on AGN. 

Following....for others’ experience.

I hear ya, i just started using the 44.75gr. Hades and so far i like them.

John

I actually used my RAW .30 cal strictly for BR at 50, 75, and 100 yard scoring targets and also group shooting. The 44g shot pretty good at 100 and very good at 50 yards. Not sure if you are using yours for target shooting or hunting, but stay with the 44g. Martin shot a 10 shot MOA + group at 100 with my gun before he shipped it back to me. 7 out of 10 were MOA, and the other three were just around 1 1/2 inch. 

Let us know if you find any slugs that work for you.

My HMx LRT .22 did not shoot FX Hybrids well, the best slugs I’ve found are NSA 17.5gr .2175 and NSA 20.2gr .217. There are two 5 shot groups touching with the 17.5 @ 20yds. I just clicked a couple left and down to see what the change in POI would be. These are being shot @ 930ish, the tune I have for shooting JSB 18gr @ 950. Will finally get to stretch it’s legs out early next week with all ammo. Will update my findings. The slugs need to contact your barrels lands snuggly in order to have a chance to be accurate first and foremost, then speed/spin combination with stabilization by the lands contacting the slug, too loose and not enough spin, too tight and velocity suffers, it’s a fine line and a lot of experimentation! That’s why NSA and other slug makers offer sample packs in different weights and sizes.

2410D77D-E126-47C0-B301-0D0A879CE567.1619891708.jpeg

My HMx LRT .22 did not shoot FX Hybrids well, the best slugs I’ve found are NSA 17.5gr .2175 and NSA 20.2gr .217. There are two 5 shot groups touching with the 17.5 @ 20yds. I just clicked a couple left and down to see what the change in POI would be. These are being shot @ 930ish, the tune I have for shooting JSB 18gr @ 950. Will finally get to stretch it’s legs out early next week with all ammo. Will update my findings. The slugs need to contact your barrels lands snuggly in order to have a chance to be accurate first and foremost, then speed/spin combination with stabilization by the lands contacting the slug, too loose and not enough spin, too tight and velocity suffers, it’s a fine line and a lot of experimentation! That’s why NSA and other slug makers offer sample packs in different weights and sizes.

Is yours an HP .22 version and assume you have Poly barrel? Also, have you tried those NSA slugs at distance, if so how far? 

I’m curious because I mostly just use MRDs. Tx....

Is yours an HP .22 version and assume you have Poly barrel? Also, have you tried those NSA slugs at distance, if so how far? 

I’m curious because I mostly just use MRDs. Tx....

Tommy, yes, it is a HM1000x LRT with a non choked poly barrel I will be stretching it’s legs out with slugs for the first time next week and will post an update. Mine is de-tuned to 36 FPE with 18gr JSB. 

I decided to do a little test with my RAW .30 this morning, before the winds came up too much. Was blowing 5-8 from 2:00, but sometimes would still. The extent of my backyard range is 61 yards, so that is the distance shot. I purchased my RAW used, so I don't know its history but it is an earlier gun, likely before the AF acquisition of RAW. Has the centered, cylindrical moderator and the narrower magazine slot. But I single-loaded all shots this morning, and had the RAW tethered at 200 bar. The last time I chrono'd it it was shooting the Rangemaster 44.75's at an average of 879 fps. The shooter was a little coffee'd-up this morning and I was being careful but not fully precise. All were 5 shot groups.

RAW grouping with pellets: 0.9"

RAW grouping with FX Hybrid slugs: 1.4"

Than I got out my GCU2 Red Wolf .303 and shot a few more groups for comparison. I am normally more accurate with my RW as compared to my RAW (or any other .30 cal gun I have shot).

RW 44.75's on Mid power: 0.68" (4 of 5 =.44")

RW FX Hybrid Slugs, Mid power: 1.4"

RW FX Hybrid Slugs, Hi power: 1.1"

The last time I chrony'd the RW it was shooting the FX Hybrid Slugs at 779/852 on Mid/High powers, and the Rangemaster 44.75's at 836/889 on Mid/High powers.

My results are likely more due to the inexperienced shooter, but I don't find that I get near the same accuracy with the FX Hybrid Slugs as I do with pellets. But maybe adequate practical accuracy in a hunting situation?

After shooting these groups I noticed that I was remiss in not having the slug muzzle velocities for the RAW. So I shot 5 rounds from 200 bar (tethered tank had been removed from the gun) and got an average of 849 with a nice ES of only 4. So that puts the FX Hybrid slugs out of the RAW right where they shoot best in the RW, but due to differences in guns, barrels, etc. they still don't group out of the RAW as well as they do out of the RW.

By no means exhaustive, but just some numbers from me shooting my particular guns.

I decided to do a little test with my RAW .30 this morning, before the winds came up too much. Was blowing 5-8 from 2:00, but sometimes would still. The extent of my backyard range is 61 yards, so that is the distance shot. I purchased my RAW used, so I don't know its history but it is an earlier gun, likely before the AF acquisition of RAW. Has the centered, cylindrical moderator and the narrower magazine slot. But I single-loaded all shots this morning, and had the RAW tethered at 200 bar. The last time I chrono'd it it was shooting the Rangemaster 44.75's at an average of 879 fps. The shooter was a little coffee'd-up this morning and I was being careful but not fully precise. All were 5 shot groups.

RAW grouping with pellets: 0.9"

RAW grouping with FX Hybrid slugs: 1.4"

Than I got out my GCU2 Red Wolf .303 and shot a few more groups for comparison. I am normally more accurate with my RW as compared to my RAW (or any other .30 cal gun I have shot).

RW 44.75's on Mid power: 0.68" (4 of 5 =.44")

RW FX Hybrid Slugs, Mid power: 1.4"

RW FX Hybrid Slugs, Hi power: 1.1"

The last time I chrony'd the RW it was shooting the FX Hybrid Slugs at 779/852 on Mid/High powers, and the Rangemaster 44.75's at 836/889 on Mid/High powers.

My results are likely more due to the inexperienced shooter, but I don't find that I get near the same accuracy with the FX Hybrid Slugs as I do with pellets. But maybe adequate practical accuracy in a hunting situation?

After shooting these groups I noticed that I was remiss in not having the slug muzzle velocities for the RAW. So I shot 5 rounds from 200 bar (tethered tank had been removed from the gun) and got an average of 849 with a nice ES of only 4. So that puts the FX Hybrid slugs out of the RAW right where they shoot best in the RW, but due to differences in guns, barrels, etc. they still don't group out of the RAW as well as they do out of the RW.

By no means exhaustive, but just some numbers from me shooting my particular guns.

Nice groups with both guns! My RAW was also a pre AF gun with smaller breech opening/mags and conventional reflex LDC. You should try out some NSA sample packs and some samples from Griffin in your .30. The larger cal RAW's are usually more slug friendly than the smaller cals.

Reactions: TMH
Nice groups with both guns! My RAW was also a pre AF gun with smaller breech opening/mags and conventional reflex LDC. You should try out some NSA sample packs and some samples from Griffin in your .30. The larger cal RAW's are usually more slug friendly than the smaller cals.

Thanks, I will. I've had some boxes of NSA's in my slug drawer for a couple of months, and haven't even tried them yet. I may not have the full extent of the sample pack, but I've got 43.8's, 47.2's and 49.5's to try.

You should try out some NSA sample packs and some samples from Griffin in your .30. The larger cal RAW's are usually more slug friendly than the smaller cals.

+1 accuracy point for you sir!

I tried the NSA's in my .30 cal RAW this morning, and especially the 43.8's were awesome (the way my gun is currently tuned). My first group with them was 0.44" (5 shot group at 61 yards), and my second group had 4/5 in 0.52". Chrono says that they are running 864 fps at the muzzle. And only a 5 shot chrono group, but had an ES of 2 fps! That's some nice stuff.

The group for the 47.2's with my gun's tune (836 fps ave/ES=2) opened up to 0.98".

And things opened up even further to 1.46" with the 49.5's (816 fps ave/ES=3).

I've attached a shot of the target. A couple of hits marked with X's were zeroing shots with the heavier pellets, which dropped into the target zone.

All in all, my RAW .30 shoots the NSA 43.8's more accurately than pellets, and way more accurately than FX Hybrid Slugs.

I've got to get me some more of these NSA's... and find out how they shoot in the Red Wolf 303. Thanks again for the tip!

IMG_1701.1620063615.JPG

Below is a pic of the pellet group during my pretty quick-and-dirty testing of pellets vs FX hybrid slugs in my RAW .30. Kind of hurrying to beat incoming winds, but I would say that this is pretty normal for me shooting my RAW - 0.9". I can handle the Red Wolf HP .303 better, and my typical groups with that rifle (pellets) are 0.7 or less (both at 61 yards, the longest target box on my backyard range). The pellets I normally use for home practice are JSB variants - Rangemaster Emperor Lite 44.75 gr. I have not noticed any appreciable difference between my shooting of my RAW or my RW with any of the JSB variants - JSB, Rangemaster (Daystate) or FX.

This is why I was so excited today after shooting the NSA's. My RAW (at least in my hands and in its current state of tune) may actually shoot tighter groups with slugs as compared to pellets. 

IMG_1710.1620097740.JPG

Below is a pic of the pellet group during my pretty quick-and-dirty testing of pellets vs FX hybrid slugs in my RAW .30. Kind of hurrying to beat incoming winds, but I would say that this is pretty normal for me shooting my RAW - 0.9". I can handle the Red Wolf HP .303 better, and my typical groups with that rifle (pellets) are 0.7 or less (both at 61 yards, the longest target box on my backyard range). The pellets I normally use for home practice are JSB variants - Rangemaster Emperor Lite 44.75 gr. I have not noticed any appreciable difference between my shooting of my RAW or my RW with any of the JSB variants - JSB, Rangemaster (Daystate) or FX.

This is why I was so excited today after shooting the NSA's. My RAW (at least in my hands and in its current state of tune) may actually shoot tighter groups with slugs as compared to pellets. 

IMG_1710.1620097740.JPG

Tom, congratulations! Having a rifle that shoots slugs more accurately than pellets, that is special! I just returned from my trip and my friend and I took 82 plus ground squirrels and 40 something starlings in 2 days, actually about 3 hours! The first day was windy and we both only shot 18gr pellets and dope was paramount for success, the second day there was NO WIND! We got them from 40-107yds with pellets and slugs, it was epic! The slugs at 52yds were 1/2 MOA UNDER at 4440 feet of elevation! I did shoot them out to 135yds at a target branch (about 15 MOA) and thought the group was about apple sized with not much wind to speak of. Was also picking off 1/2" branches at 52yds, so the groups actually tightened up past 20yds from my home range with the NSA. This is one of the main reasons I purchased this RAW....to be able to shoot pellets and slugs through it's non choked poly barrel...and it did not disappoint!