• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

RAW 1000x .30 cal = Sub 1/2" at 100 yards

Best 100 yard group of my life!

This rifle continues to blow my mind..Plus I've started to figure out some things with my technique that it seems to really like. One of today's lessons was sending all (5) shots as quickly as I could (without getting sloppy) in order to isolate a particular moment in the wind. This group was shot in about 20-30 seconds! 

I had to measure the hole (not holes) in the wood backstop to get a clean read with the calipers and got .709 O.D. Subtract the pellet diameter and it's .406" CTC! I NEVER thought I'd shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards with an AIR rifle. 

The AVERAGE of the (6) 5 shot groups I shot tonight was .992"... That includes a one-holer I blew on the last shot that opened up to a massive 1.324" haha. 

Heres a pic of my range. The bench is at the garage that's off in the distance. 100 yards according to the Laser RF. Also a pic of the 6 groups.

Did I mention I love this rifle? (I know, shut up already!) 
https://imgur.com/a/A4ELY

Brian in MI

"Brian.in.MI"
"Michael"You should consider participating in the Extreme Bench Rest competition!
Thanks, Michael. I've always avoided shooting 100y in the wind, so it'd require Ted-Like commitment. We'll see. I'm 100% confident that this rifle could win with the right shooter. 

Brian

http://www.phoenixairgun.net/rio-airflow-characteristics 

There is definitely an advantage for the shooter than can rack off as fast as possible during a well known wind condition at this range. Having a rest that can move quickly or being able to move from bull to bull between shots is also critical in the speed of it all. Being very observant of the wind changes so you know when to and not to ;)

"DrippinLead"Looks like your using your bipod and rear bag when your shooting these groups. Is that correct? Have you tried shooting off of a good rest?

Yes. Bulls Bag, regular bags, Harris bipod, trigger sticks, bum bag, and 2 mechanical rests. If shooting sub MOA all day off a bad(?) rest is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Has it occurred to me to install a BM500 stock and clamp it into a serious match style front rest? Maybe. Haha. I good (for now)

Brian

"Sam63"Nice shooting. You have an exceptional gun. A 1/2 inch group at 100 yards is insane. What pellet and FPS?

Thanks, I'm really enjoying the rifle. It's just on a whole new level from anything else I've owned. Shooting JSB 44.75 grain at 865-885fps. It also shoots the 50gn really well. 

Used to pull my hair out to shoot sub MOA and this RAW does it routinely! Pumped.

Brian

"DrippinLead"Brian, how long is your gun? Is it basically the standard RAW 30 cal. or did you ask for any special work like different barrel length? I like your stock also!
Hmm, I want to say 47 1/2" (?). It's a completely stock LRT. I haven't even adjusted the trigger, or felt the need to. I played with the hammer adjustment a little and that's it. The LRT stock is pretty sweet, and I'm a sucker for gray laminate. Saw a walnut version up close and it was beautiful too!

Brian