• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW 1000 for benchrest shooting

Does anyone have any experience with the RAW 1000 for benchrest 25m and 50yd? Interested in your opinion. Thanks

Bob

I have a RAW HM1000x .22 HP which has been an excellent rifle for me. I use it exclusively for 50, 75 and 100 yard Benchrest target shooting. It regularly shoots and averages 1/2 “ groups ( sometimes better ) at 50 yards. It has a Poly barrel and it’s favorite pellet is the JSB 25g Redesign. Optimum velocity for best accuracy is between 930-940 FPS. I have also shot some rare MOA groups at 100 yards, but the wind has to be nil and I have to have my skills in high gear. I think my average group sizes at 100 yards are probably in the 1 to 2” range; with 1 1/2” to 1 3/4” being very common. A competition BR shooter could do better. 

Trigger release at about six ounces which is my preference. It also does shoot very well at both 75 and 100 yards for both groups and scoring targets. I consider myself an average BR shooter ( maybe slightly above ....😃 ) I have shot this gun for over two years and have no complaints. 

PM me if you want to talk live.

Tom 

Tom, thanks for that great info. I starting shooting less than a year ago. I'm shooting at Open Grove in Oxnard, CA which is a great place to shoot with a lot of well known natl and international shooters. When I first started I fell into the "tactical" look rifle and ended up buying an LCS, an FX MK2 and recently a Daystate Delta Wolf. But what I really like is benchrest shooting. Our range is 25m and 50yd and we have a competitive shoot every month. Joe, the gentleman who owns the range has always tried to mentor me about equipment/rifles and of course I never took his advice like I should have and bought what I didn't need. I'm now looking at a Thomas or a RAW 1000 in 22 cal. A friend of mine suggest the RAW and a few shooters at my club shoot the Thomas. The Thomas has a waiting list 11 months long. I can get a RAW much sooner than that. I glad you've had good experience with it. I heard it's solid and with few problems. Where you at? Bob

Thanks for the info. I have question for you. I bought the 22 cal RAW 1000X. It came with 2 barrels, a cut rifle and an Octonal (sp?) barrel. Which would you recommend for 25m and 50yd target? I'm shooting JSB 25.39's Tks. Bob

Bob

Was this question meant for me?

My RAW has a Poly barrel and it shoots very accurately at 50, and pretty solid at 75 and 100 yards. It is best at 50 yards for me in terms of Optimum distance/accuracy. Favorite pellet is JSB 25.39 RD. The combination of higher velocity and the Poly barrel does necessitate running patches through to clean after 100 pellets or so. Get’s dirty fast. Typically see some lead sediments on two or three patches before clean patches follow.

However, I think your question was directed at another responder. I don’t know the answer, sorry but I am also curious.

Tom 

RAW and Thomas are really about the top 2 rifles specifically made for benchrest. I would like to say they are about equal but I seem to get bested by the Thomas more than I beat them. Quite possibly the skill gap from those shooters to my level but that's on me. You wont regret getting either of them. I have about 6 RAW and no Thomas but I prefer a traditional rifle with a wood stock. But thats just me. Get what you feel good about owning get to it!!!! Its all about reading the wind in my opinion.
Thx
Dan

RAW and Thomas are really about the top 2 rifles specifically made for benchrest. I would like to say they are about equal but I seem to get bested by the Thomas more than I beat them. Quite possibly the skill gap from those shooters to my level but that's on me. You wont regret getting either of them. I have about 6 RAW and no Thomas but I prefer a traditional rifle with a wood stock. But thats just me. Get what you feel good about owning get to it!!!! Its all about reading the wind in my opinion.
Thx
Dan
In case of RAW I would only get one made by Martin.

Yep, I shot a TM1000 in many 25M USARB sanctioned matches. I used 13.4 gr JSB pellets at 800 fps to stay under the 20 fpe limit. I won a few matches and placed in several. RAW rifles are perfectly capable for this kind of competition. Most of the other shooters were shooting RAWs, Thomases and/or Daystates. Aside from the $4000 Thomas, I would not hesitate to recommend RAW rifles. Winning is dependent on marksmanship, not so much the gun.