• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rat problem!

So i know a farmer who has rats in his barns. He has probably 4 or 5 buildings with feed in them or that he feeds cattle in and he has asked me to eradicate them. My set up is an FX wildcat in 22 caliber. My question is how do I shoot rats at night without spending $2000 on a night vision scope? I'm not really interested in filming I just want a fast Way to shoot most of them. I have a hugget moderator attached to my wildcat and I can turn the silo on for two of the Barns so sound shouldn't be an issue. Any good ideas for a decently cheap way to do this? 

do it cheap ,,theres some vids how to get in done ,,second hand video camera ,you gotta take the nite site off the lens ,that should giv u the nite vision ur looking for.. then with a small wedge of wood and some good elastics ur ready ..even get to video it , the web loading with vids, showing exactly how to do this and what piece needs removing , good luck hope this helps .. u need to double check on what exactly needs removing

Two ways I've done it! Red light. Static or strapped to the gun. Cheep and easy. You can also find a red flash light on eBay or red jell. Or buy a cannon camera and pull the IR filter. I bought one from best buy and got there best warranty. It only took me three times to get it right. It made it worthless in the day. And the pics are purple. I'll send pics if you request.

Red light works great guess rats and birds can't see it or pigs. I use a UTG bugbuster turned to green then turn on the red light. It works so good it should be illegal! I have also used solar garden lights around bait stations. Use an illuminated reticle. I have some scope rings that have Weaver rail on top of them and my red flashlight in an old scope ring. This set up works great for taking roosting pigeons off of rafters

59713da360a6473b1daf7075e9eed923.jpg
Haha well I already said all of that to her to get the wildcat 😬 Yes any pictures you guys have of a way to set up cheap. This is my set up so far.
fd21f378f6b9bd5f0dd8e87457ccd024.jpg

May not suit your situation,
the only time I've help rid rats from Barns I was able to get the famrer to leave all the lights on ( at least down the middle of barn) for a few days, rats everywhere all night, I sat in a lawn chair 40 yards outside and got many each night.

Otherwise I do think I would go with na rig digital camera.

John

Get the green hog light from Elusive wildlife, i think that is the name of it. It has a magnet on the bottom. Make a stand for it out of steel so it will stick to it. The moultrie has a good one but no magnet. Put bait out and wait. You could probably set up 2 or 3 and shoot from one place. Dont try and use too much scope power because the lights are not real brite. You wont eradicate rats by shooting them but you can have lots of fun if they have lots of rats. The green light won't scare them. Light can be about 6 ft off the ground so it will light up a pretty good area. They work great for coons.

0abd64d0946b59c6ccb374e33e14edbb.jpg
I bought a a scope light a few years ago and love it. It is as tough as nails. It comes with a white, green and red bulb. Easy to change. With it on I can see clearly past 100 yards through my scope and Identify easily out to 150 yards. It came with 2 rechargeable batteries, charger and multiple mounts to fit any set up. It has multiple settings for close up work like your doing. I think i paid about $150. The brand is Wicked lights. I mostly just leave the green light in it. Hasn't spooked anything yet. I would love a night vision scope but can't rationalize one for myself. Maybe someday.