• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rangefinders

I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 that I bought from Cabelas years ago. I've used it a lot over the years and have had zero issues with it and it is accurate. I compared it's readings to my buddies Leopold range finder one time and they were both spot on with the same yardage readings. But you do have to have something "solid" to hit in order to get consistent/accurate readings though. I don't really see how any finder could give very consistent and accurate readings without having a solid target to hit. Having said all that....that Bushnell works really great. I've never had any reason to look into a replacement for it. And it was very reasonably priced!

TR

Take a look at the red field raider 650 

i had the raider 550 and it did well for me Had it for years and when the focus lens somehow came loose in the eyepiece Leupold offered me 60%

off a new unit so I got the Leupold 1300 I haven’t used it enough to have an opinion on it yet but seems like a good unit 

the raider is affordable and works well for its intended use plus it’s backed by leupold should something happen to it 👍

pcpfan37

I have found myself using my mil dots to range at times when I run into issues where the range finder will not pick up what I am trying to range. 

The formula I use is... 

Size of target in inches divided by number of mill dots. then multiply that by 27.77.

This is pretty darn accurate as long as you know the size of your target and break down the spacing between each mil dot into tenths. This will get your range more or less figured out. If you do the math correct and are close to your measurements you should be within a yard or two most of the time. From there its just a matter of taking the shot and making some adjustments if need be. I have had had good luck with it. 

I have never used a range finder and ask, can you just aim at the "ground" as if a squirrel was there and get a reading or do you need to be be aiming at a tree or some other object?

thanks

As long as it’s a stationary target you can range it, clump of dirt to a tree, squirrel to ELK but some rangefinders have a Min of 10 yards and some it doesn’t matter then there are Rangefinders that you can hold on a moving target and they will give you a constant range reading it’s all on how much you want to spend.