• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Quietness deception

It is very true, they sound louder to the shooter, even with the full size rifles, it is not just the Bull pups. I made a full shroud. moderator combo for a Daystate Airwolf, it sounded a little louder than I wanted it so I asked the owner to shoot it while I stood about 10 feet away from the muzzle at a 45 degree angle, when he fired it, it sounded like someone spitting, yet when I shot it, it sounded louder to me. The owner did the same and had me shoot it while he stood in front and agreed, it was amazingly quiet from in front. So it is always a good thing to have someone stand away from the gun and listen to the report to get a true idea of how quiet the gun really is. Also how quiet a gun is, is also a matter of perception, we all have different hearing and different ideas of quiet. If the gun is mechanically loud, try wrapping it in something to deaden the sound a bit, Neil.

"AG72"When my wife shouts at me i try to moderate her, but then it sounds louder, even when i back up 10y, have noticed some ping in the ear to, even the neighbours have complain about the noice, What should i do?

I think we can all attest to this maddening phenomenon. They're just not backyard friendly at times and noise abatement attempts no matter how noble, typically have the opposite effect. Sigh...

LDP reports from my customers indicate otherwise, but the best part of using a moderator on a gun is that when you miss the animal you are shooting at is rarely spooked so it allows you to get another shot at it. The reason I make them anyway is not really for hunters, it is to make target shooting more enjoyable. I find it a lot more relaxing letting lead fly down range from a nicely moderated air gun than shooting one without a device on and getting a very loud crack with every shot. It just makes the hobby a lot more enjoyable from my perspective, Neil.