• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question on ownership for those living in the UK.

"E30jef"Question for my fellow British enthusiasts. How would your government wags know if you had a gun that was over 12fpe?
If you had one and used it discretely, and put it away from view, how would they know you had that gun?.
They wouldn't. It's like any law, you only get into trouble when you get caught. I lived in the UK for a number of years. The police there don't have any special technology to identify people who own air guns with too much power. Your average police officer hasn't memorized a list of acceptable air guns and they don't carry a chronograph. 

It will matter when / if someone reports you. There was a well publicized case where a man in Bolton was arrested for animal cruelty for shooting a squirrel in his back garden. He thought he was shooting discretely but a neighbor saw and called the police. I believe they confiscated the air rifle. They might test it to make sure it was legal in that type of scenario. Neighbors report people all the time if they see a "man with a gun" near their kids or the noise disturbs them. 

Maybe you could apply for a firearms license so you can legally own a more powerful air gun there. You could still get in trouble for shooting what they consider to be a firearm in a suburban neighborhood but at least you wouldn't be looking at a charge for owning an illegal "firearm". I don't know what the penalty is for that but I bet it's disproportionately bad....

if you don't have a FAC licence and you have a air rifle over 12fpe then your doing time in prison even if its 1fpe over then its classed just the same as if you had a 50cal. They can take your rifle if there is a suspicion and test it with all kinds of pellets and inspect it even if its within the 12fpe but its had the anti tamper removed its deemed as capable of being over the limit and again classed as a firearm and you face 20 years in jail. there has been a number of high profile cases here where they have had the book thrown at them.

I have no criminal experience but I bet that having a 13ft lb air rifle is not a respected crime among the prison population so you definitely have to watch yourself in the showers there (along with the video piracy guys). 

Doesn't seem worth the risk. If I was going to risk 20 years in prison, it would have to be for the sort of money you could retire on. Apply for the license and save yourself the worry. 

I know of someone that dropped a bollock with an Airgun and it was tested by the police. It was found to be over the limit.

He didn't receive any jail time, let alone a guaranteed 20 years in prison!

He did however lose his shotgun licence and get banned from shooting at clubs.

It all sounds very good that you're looking at a stretch inside though doesn't it! Also the anti tamper thing is rubbish too. Capable is ridiculous! Any Airgun is capable of exceeding 12fpe.