• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question on grackles

"Many people in areas where they're a nuisance believe that because the birds are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 it's illegal to kill, harm or harass them. However, a special standing order has been added regarding great-tailed grackles that allows them to be "harassed and removed without permit," said the USDA's Bodenchuk. The order applies if the birds are harming crops, damaging plants, affecting human health and safety or even if they're simply a nuisance."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/04/devil-birds-great-tailed-grackles/1783229/

lol.... "simply a nuisance" probably covers your problem. 

I've had to cull grackles in the past in Indiana. They are quite noisy, can be almost as smart as a starling at times, and will their fair share of damage to crops. They have tendencies very similar to house sparrows when it comes to other birds nests and young as well.

In short, if they meet the requirements, and your state also has clauses involving them then you can usually take care of matters yourself. Of course if you don't want to do that you can always wait till the 4th of July and let the fireworks scare them off.

I have watched them jump and attack bob white quail at my quail feeder. The quail wonder why the grackle tends to explode shortly afterwards ;)

Since my summer guest Scissor Tailed Fly Catchers have arrived I rarely get a chance at the few remaining grackles since the STFC's drive them away almost as soon as they land. :( 

Thurmond