• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Question about Hunter class seated position

I just recently started shooting Hunter FT. In non-positional lanes I've been shooting from a crate and bipod, shoulderr/hips positioned about 45 degrees to the target, with the butt of my rifle in the pocket of my shoulder. Is it legal to shoot from my crate, with my shoulders/hips aligned with the target, with gun resting on the bipod and across both my knees (similar to the deadman WFTF position)?

Todd

Todd, in Hunter FT class per AAFTA rules, the position you described is legal for non-forced position shots. Here is the content from the Common Division rules, Shooting section that is pertinent to your question:
  • Other than using aids permitted by specific AAFTA Division Rules (slings, bipods, etc.), the gun
    must be supported solely by the shooter's hands and body. The gun may not contact the ground.
    Any part of the body directly supporting the gun may not rest on the ground. The body may not
    lean on or be supported by any features other than the ground or the shooting seat.

Hope this helps.
Jeff Cloud
AAFTA Vice-Chairman

Yes it does. Thank you Jeff.

Seems like I could shoot more consistently from my lap like this. The only tricky part is I don't have an adjustable cheek rest, so it is a little trickier aligning my eye with my scope. When I practiced shooting this way today, most of my shots were spot on but I had a couple real fliers, off by like an inch at 25 yards. Pretty sure it was because my eye wasn't centered on the scope, if that makes sense.

Todd

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Get one of theee.

It will give you a solid point of contact on your brow.

Mike

Reactions: okieairgunner
Get one of theee.

It will give you a solid point of contact on your brow.

Mike
I been looking for something like this. To bad they are out of stock.

I been looking for something like this. Too bad they are out of stock.
I like them, but they don’t fit my Kahles. I haven’t found one that will. I bought two a couple years ago, and extra in case modifying didn’t work out. I tried cutting the first one to get it to fit, as it gets wider, but it didn’t work out. I still have one, but can’t use it on the scope I want it to work on. Saving it in case I ever switch scopes.

Let me share a really neat trick on FIRMING UP a bellows type eye cup ....

This will take 2 different diameter O-RINGS & that size you must determine :unsure:
First get the bellows eye cup fitted and cut to an @ ideal length for eye relief required.
* You start by placing an o-ring within every PLEAT / Fold of the bellows INSIDE as well OUTSIDE.
The inside will use smaller diameter than out ....
Once done the FIRMNESS as well how straight it is w/o droop will be vastly improved.
* You may need to fine tune the length a pleat or so to reestablish correct eye relief.

For PISTOL FT especially .. this is a FANTASTIC Modification that is perfectly legal :giggle:

Yes it does. Thank you Jeff.

Seems like I could shoot more consistently from my lap like this. The only tricky part is I don't have an adjustable cheek rest, so it is a little trickier aligning my eye with my scope. When I practiced shooting this way today, most of my shots were spot on but I had a couple real fliers, off by like an inch at 25 yards. Pretty sure it was because my eye wasn't centered on the scope, if that makes sense.

Todd
If you think the crosshairs shift as your eye moves around, you might not have focused properly. Most scopes' "focus" knob is actually a "parallax" correction knob. When it is properly set, as you move your eye, your crosshairs will not shift left/right/up/down from the point of aim. If at that point the image is fuzzy, you should adjust the front eyepiece ring until the target comes into focus. Then the parallax knob will align with good focus as you look at targets at various distances.

And BTW, I might be wrong, but I'm not sure eyecups are permitted to be used to stabilize the gun in rifle hunter division FT. OK in pistol.

If you think the crosshairs shift as your eye moves around, you might not have focused properly. Most scopes' "focus" knob is actually a "parallax" correction knob. When it is properly set, as you move your eye, your crosshairs will not shift left/right/up/down from the point of aim. If at that point the image is fuzzy, you should adjust the front eyepiece ring until the target comes into focus. Then the parallax knob will align with good focus as you look at targets at various distances.

And BTW, I might be wrong, but I'm not sure eyecups are permitted to be used to stabilize the gun in rifle hunter division FT. OK in pistol.
I haven't had time to play around with this position since the other day (shot in a match yesterday and rain today) so I'm not 100% sure what was causing the occasional extreme miss. It didn't feel like the crosshairs were moving. Seemed like the cross hairs were aligned with the target, but the point of impact was not aligned with where the crosshairs were held. Maybe I'm wrong, but seems to me like if I was looking through the scope at a slight angle, so the point of aim didn't match up with the actual point of impact.

Generally the stability provided with an eye cup used on a rifle in negligible :cautious: and in the overall of what actually stabilizes the shooters hold with a Pistol IT'S HUGE !!!

Reactions: RScott