• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

QB Chief II 1335 synthetic stock 3k PSI - anyone own one?

Browsing the highly flawed Beeman.com website, I discovered a new version of the QB Chief II that rides in a synthetic stock and claims a 3k PSI tank. Does anyone own or can provide details about this gun? I hesitate to buy one of these until I have confidence the stock isn't some cheap hollow plastic creaky junk. The low shot count of the 2k PSI version has always been a detractor for me, but the 3k PSI version claims up to 100 shot count in .177. That has my attention.

Joseph

If I got a qb chief I would void the warranty and polish the trigger and install a spring in it and make it 2 stage. I'd hone the cylinder and reseal it with good seals and lapp the barrel. It's actually a great gun and can be very good out of the box but sometimes the quality control is not as good as a thousand dollar gun. I shot one of the first qb chiefs last year at the range and it was extremely surprised to see that it was getting half inch groups at 35 yards. Pretty amazing for a gun that is less than 180 bucks on sale. 

Odoyle, where are the bad reviews you reference? I can't find anything written about the 3000PSI QB Chief II. Yes, I've read many comments about QB Chief II leaks. I've read misinformation about the trigger being terrible. It's a QB78 trigger and those are fantastic if you know how to adjust them. Apparently many complaining users don't know how to adjust them. I am concerned if o-rings aren't sourced for replacements. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that no one has taken the time to determine the correct replacement parts. YouTube video reviews praise the QB Chief accuracy and then other owners cross-post grievances on different forums about leaks and poor customer support. Many "Best of" compilations include the QB Chief for the under $300 PCP market. I'm still sitting on the fence about the QB Chief II and just wanted to hear some firsthand experience with the new 3000PSI version. Maybe nobody here owns one yet.

Go for it people still buying the Avenger knowing the known issues and risk they take so maybe yours might be a good one.

I wanted to be right about the Vortex brand of scopes and Benjamin Fortitude but alas got burnt 3x. What's the use of a 5 year Or even a LIFETIME WARRANTY if it's gonna keep getting sent back for the non mechanically inclined?

Theres a good possibility the Chief2 may not use the same QB parts aside from the trigger. Plus good luck getting any support from the current Beeman company.

Buy it and use a credit card that doubles your warranty and wish you Good Luck...

Find out if there are replacement magazines available before buying it though...

I have one. Delivered yesterday. I personally haven’t had a chance to check it out. I paid pyramid 10 bucks to test it out so I wouldn’t get a problematic one out of the box. They tested with hobby 7 gr pellets. Filled to 2500 psi. Did get the 1000 FPS rating with those pellets. Think 1004 was high. I’m sure it can be turned up a bit more. 

Thanks Trucker3573 for the reply. I hope you'll share more info once you have some experience with the synthetic stock QB Chief II. I took Odoyle's challenge and just ordered the gun from PyramydAir. I hope to put the gun through some rigorous tests (muzzle velocity, sound level, shot count, 25yd precision, trigger pull force, leak test) and report findings. I'm a physicist in my day job, so I'm driven to quantitative analysis in my hobbies.

Thanks Trucker3573 for the reply. I hope you'll share more info once you have some experience with the synthetic stock QB Chief II. I took Odoyle's challenge and just ordered the gun from PyramydAir. I hope to put the gun through some rigorous tests (muzzle velocity, sound level, shot count, 25yd precision, trigger pull force, leak test) and report findings. I'm a physicist in my day job, so I'm driven to quantitative analysis in my hobbies.

My hand pump didn’t come in as fast. So I only shot it a little as there was only 2k in the gun after pyramids testing. It did get 800 FPS with 13.43 jsb and just over 900 with the almost 11 gr H&N pellet. That was out of the box. Pretty happy. Thinking of buying one in 22 before they are unavailable nationwide...lol. It’s getting crazy. I just watched a disco go for 435 on eBay. Granted it had a nice stock and scope on it but wow. There is also a used Benjamin Maximus that is already up to BNIB price. Crazy crazy. Soon airguns will be like powder burners. Endangered species. 

Review of new Beeman QB Chief II in synthetic stock with 3,000 PSI fill pressure:

First Impression: As usual, Pyramyd Air did a fine job of shipping product to me quickly. I ordered the 10-for-$10 service with the gun last Monday and received the package on Saturday. The test certificate shows they filled the gun to 2,700 PSI for the ten shots. The ten shots have a monotonically decreasing string from 1013 to 967 FPS. I received the gun with just over 2,000 PSI on the gauge. A quickly decreasing MV shot string that dropped the pressure 600 PSI makes me suspect the hammer spring adjuster is set too high. They used 7.0 gr RWS Hobby pellets. The string average MV was 990 FPS, so the average muzzle energy is 15.2 FPE with the light pellets.

This gun is moderately loud. It's not backyard friendly unless you have a large backyard or deaf neighbors who won't know the difference. I'll use a sound level meter to quantify and compare to other airguns later. I checked the trigger pull with my Lyman gauge. Out of the box, it measured consistently over 10 test firings at 4lbs12oz average. It was gritty for the first couple hundred firings, but is showing signs of improvement. I plan to adjust the trigger pull lower after completing a reasonable break in period.

Overall, the gun has a solid feel even with a hollow stock butt. I removed the rubber butt pad (two Philips screws) and packed it full (I mean crammed with a wooden dowel) of small pluckn-pick foam cubes left over from a gun case. It didn't add much weight, but it no longer sound hollow when you thump the stock. The length of pull was a little short (13.5"), so I added an Allen rubber recoil pad. The gun fits me better with that extra length.

Cocking the gun is a heavy pull. I doubt many kids under 12 years can fully cock the bolt. Some reviewers of the wood stock QB Chief II have claimed the cocking effort is decreased if you adjust the hammer spring to less force. I'll likely adjust the hammer spring for less force as part of later review steps. I'll try to verify if this has an effect on the bolt cocking force.

The bag of accessories contained, 2 single shot trays (plastic), 2 12 round magazines (plastic), an Allen wrench for adjusting the hammer spring, a degassing screw and the Allen wrench that fits it, and a tiny spare O-ring that I assume fits the pellet probe. 

In later comments, I plan to do some pellet comparison testing, measure 25yd precision, adjust the trigger pull weight, run some chrony tests to optimize muzzle velocity and shot count by adjusting the hammer spring force.

Post questions. I'll do my best to answer with quantifiable results.

My gun was exactly the same in their 10 shot string test. Continuing drop in velocity. I figure it might be the valve just needing to be broken in. I guess the loudness is a subjective thing. I will say this is my first pcp so I don’t have anything as a comparison. If this gun is loud I guess all airguns must be. I wouldn’t use that term in conjunction with this gun whatsoever. I don’t think it’s even a little loud. Maybe it is me being used to powder burners but if my neighbors complained about this guns noise I’d just say GFYO to them. Lol. More to come when I actually get to shoot it tomorrow. 

Been shooting it quite a lot today. First I want to say the gun is NOTHING to pump to 3000 psi and honestly not even really necessary. I will have to pay more attention to exactly what pressures but a really nice consistent shot string appears below the max fill pressure. I’m guessing 2900 and lasts til 2100 or so. Mine flat out wouldn’t shoot crosman premier hollow point 7.9. Just wouldn’t. Maybe the gun is a little too powerful as I really only got them dialed down to about 950-960. It absolutely loves the barracuda match 10.65 grain at 900 FPS. I haven’t really group tested these yet but at 42 yards I can drill the small metal plates on the Xman squirrel 🐿 target almost every time so they are worlds better than the xman pellets. Kind of sucks that the gun doesn’t like the cheap stuff. Oh well. It shoots great and isn’t loud at all with the 10.65 at 900 FPS. Guess we will see when I break out the 13.43 at 900 but I still don’t think this gun will be loud. So far worth every penny. 

Trigger Comments:

After 250 break-in shots, I decided to disassemble the gun and adjust the trigger pull force. There are several online videos showing how to perform the disassembly for the Beeman QB78 rifles. The Chief follows the same steps; 1) remove the safety with a punch, 2) remove the action screw to separate the stock,3) adjust the three screws at the rear of the trigger housing to achieve the desired pull force, pre-travel, and post-travel. Top screw is pre-travel, middle screw is post-travel, bottom screw is pull force. The top two screws use a very tiny Allen wrench while the bottom uses a flat head screwdriver. There is some interaction between the three adjustments. Clockwise on the top screw decreases the first stage pre-travel. Clockwise on the post=travel screw decreases the trigger travel following the trigger break. Counter-clockwise on the bottom screw decreases the pull force. I adjusted the trigger until it has ~2mm pre-travel and a 2lbs12oz break force. It reminds me of a Ruger 10/22 BX replacement trigger - short pre-travel, slight pressure wall, then breaks crisply. While I had the action out of the stock, I removed the trigger assembly side plate and put a dab of tune-in-a-tube on contact points. Once reassembled, I tested the trigger pull again. It averages 2lbs4oz now with no noticeable gritty jerkiness. 

The gun absolutely loves jsb 13.43 redesigned. Drives tacks out to 40. I swear I read in this thread or another that it really liked the 16 gr Seneca pellets. Man I hope so because jsb are back ordered so I got 2 tins of those 16 gr. I hope they shoot well. I will conserve the jsb. So far well worth 180. Just depends if it stays working. Time will tell. 

Loudness Doesn't Have to be Subjective:

I used a simple sound pressure level (SPL) meter with a response weighted to approximate human hearing (A-weighted). My basement has acoustic ceiling tile and I built a frame covered with quilted moving blankets to form a tunnel. I use a similar arrangement when recording voice-over tracks for videos I produce for local public access TV. Each muzzle was maintained at a 2ft distance from the SPL meter microphone. I cannot attest to the absolute calibration of the meter, so I resorted to comparisons with other air rifle models and action types. Five shots were measured for each rifle and the average sound level (dB) reported below.

Pneumatic Rifles:

(PCP) QB Chief II synthetic .177 86.0dB

(PCP) Nova Liberty .177 81.4dB

(Single stroke) Daisy 853 .177 85.8dB

CO2 Rifle:

QB78 synthetic .177 86.1dB

Piston Rifles:

(Springer) HW98 .177 87.6dB

(Springer) Ruger Explorer .177 85.2dB

(Gas Piston) Benjamin Titan .22 86.4dB

I did not try to control for different power levels, although all of these rifles are sub 20 FPE with the Crosamn Ultra Magnum 10.5 gr pellets I shot in the .177 rifles. I shot .22 FTT pellets in the Benjamin Titan. The QB Chief II synthetic had a much larger spread in the data (84.7 - 87.0 dB). You can hear the difference from shot to shot as if the valve isn't responding consistently to the hammer strike. Some shots have a dull thud like the valve barely opened while others have a nice pop. I've fired at least 300 pellets up to this point in testing and the gun still has this issue. Once I can fire a string of shots through my Caldwell chrony, I'll be able to quantify this issue. Unless this issue resolves during break-in, the gun will be returned for warranty service.

If anybody has played with this gun, I must say it is me .... I have one in 177 cal and have written a lot about it in the other forum. (I actually have a few of them I bought as I was so impressed, all in 177 cal, as with the right pellet/slug, this thing is a laser beam). As an example I shoot NSA 15gr slugs with a BC of 75 at ~810+ fps and get over 17fpe at 75 yrs !!

First, as the gun comes it is very, very powerful, the included 5mm hex should be used to back the hammer spring out at least 4-5 turns, maybe more depending on your goals for this gun. The trigger as it comes from the factory is absolutely horrible but is easily adjusted to a very nice hunter weight trigger (just like the QB78/79 guns, of which I have many). The gun bolt is stiff to pull back for sure and the un-tightening of the hammer spring helps a lot !

I filled mine up to ~3000psi put the pellet in it that was going to be my main "USER" pellet and adjusted in my case down till I got ~850 fps with 13.43gr Monsters Redesigned. It was at that point I put a drop of nail polish on the face of the turning nut inside the frame so I always had a "ZERO POINT" It is from this ZERO point that i worked up a hammer spring tension for Seneca 16.1gr pellet and NSA 15gr slugs ----- the only pellets I now shoot in this gun as I use it for hunting and the gun has LOTS of power. If I wanted to shoot 10+gr pellets I would back off from my zero point as In the 850+ fps area is fine for me when you are shooting a heavy pellet with a good BC --- let the pellets own dynamics help you out instead of using brute power to a pellet that is going to slow down rapidly.

From ~3000 to 2000 psi I get a great bell curve of about 30 shots with my settings. I might also add that at low setting after the manometer hits 2100psi I can tune up the spring tension and keep the velocity ~even for another set of shots ----- I can use the hammer adjuster in the back like the adjuster on a Career 707 or an Airforce airgun !!! :- )

This gun is very, very accurate and busting walnut size targets using Seneca 16.1gr domes are pretty easy at my lasered 53yrd outdoor hill area that I go to to shoot.

This is the synthetic Chief II Plus -- the regular Chief and Chief II have 2000psi max fill tubes and you don't want those !! The extra 1000psi gives you all kinds of options along with more shots and much more power. when set up correctly with a bell curve it shoots very even and i have not experienced any huge peaks in power or other strange findings.

IMHO, at the $179.99 price point this gun is a MAJOR sleeper in the PCP market.

wll

What 'other' forum have you documented your experience with the QB Chief II Plus-S? So far, have you had any leak issues? This model must have more hammer adjustment screw range than the standard QB Chief II for you to make the 4-5 full turn decrease from the factory settings. Glad to know someone else has put this gun through tests. There's just not any youtube reviews on this gun yet. Perhaps, Beeman decided to make improvements in the QB Chief series that deserve another look by PA reviewers.

I don't think I can say the other big airgun forum as I don't want to get kicked off of this one ;- )

I don't think lots and lots of folks don't know about this gun yet ---- also Pyramid Air does not say it is a Plus in their advertising and this gun is $20.00 cheaper than the Chief II that only goes up to 2000 PSI

The gun has lots of adjustment, the hole in the back for adjustment is bigger I think than the Chief II. here is a pic as she sits next to a telephone pole:

Chief%20II%20and%20sm.png
[/url][/IMG]

I have more Seneca 16.1gr Domes coming today that I size to 4.53mm just to load them a bit easier. They are accurate as heck and really smack very hard. Man alive i love this gun !

wll