• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Purpose of cloth wrap on airgun tanks and shrouds.

On co2 powered guns, some wraps may help to keep worm the gas longer on the field, co2 is greatly affected by temperature, droping fps a lot when its cold, so zero chages constantly, where i live (argentina), co2 guns are very popular, becouse you can exchange large co2 containers at any hardware store, we use it to make soda, i have a pump action rifle (Shark pump) that shoots single shot pelets or multi shot round ball pellets (40 shots magazine), when rapid fire plinking, the co2 reservoir gets frosty outside and the power drops a lot.

Aerodynamics 

20220414_173212.1650806722.jpg

Your thermodynamics is backwards. Any sort of wrap would actually prevent the CO2 bottle from warming up by preventing the transfer of heat from the surrounding environment. 

Now, too much heat is still bad, so as solar protection, its good, but because of how CO2 sucks up heat as it evaporates, additional insulation would only hurt the gun's performance. 

Your thermodynamics is backwards. Any sort of wrap would actually prevent the CO2 bottle from warming up by preventing the transfer of heat from the surrounding environment. 

Now, too much heat is still bad, so as solar protection, its good, but because of how CO2 sucks up heat as it evaporates, additional insulation would only hurt the gun's performance.

Yes, you right, i was refering to keeping a warm gun on a winter day (for a few shots).

Yes, you right, i was refering to keeping a warm gun on a winter day (for a few shots).

The only way to do that is to have some sort of heating element. Wrapping the gun won't do squat for warming CO2 and will still reduce performance, even in sub freezing weather since CO2 evaporates at -109 F (-79 C).