• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Proposed IL house bill is a direct threat to airgunners

Status
Not open for further replies.
But..but, what about all the guys on this forum who say it'll never happen and that those of us who can see into the future based on our own experiences in the restrictive states we live in are merely crying that the sky is falling?

And what about the forum moderators who quickly shut down any talk about the politics of those who live to destroy the shooting sports? We all know who I mean, though I dare not utter the party name.

This type of thing is a byproduct of the notion that we're merely gentlemen shooters who would never be targeted because we use air to power our projectiles.

Do you see what happens when you poke your heads into the sand? Pretty soon the gentlemen shooters become targets themselves.

A lesson learned, perhaps?

I think not.

The naysayers will continue their naysaying and the moderators will continue deleting posts that are the least bit critical of that other party. In the meantime, however, we'll all inch closer to the restrictive policies of Illinois and New Jersey. And as those states go, so will California, New York, Connecticut, Hawaii, etc.

And if I missed some, just look for the blue states, they're the ones that will fall first.

Countdown until deletion: 10...9...8...7.....
Well then, what are you doing to prevent it from happening?

Yongshin - it appears that regulation varies somewhat by jurisdiction, but letter of the law is pretty strict. This law is why it’s so hard already to buy an airgun from Amazon, Walmart, etc. I have been concerned for a while that the airgun FOID law could be used harshly against a kid (or an adult) who didn’t deserve it.

I didn’t really post this to stir controversy so much as to mobilize IL air gunners to see if we can nip it in the bud. Once it gets to a floor vote our odds diminish considerably.
Thank you for the heads up. For whatever it's worth, I used your link and sent him a message letting him know that I wasn't a fan of the bill. He's not in my district, but close.

To anyone else, I don't want to be on a soapbox or anything, but I think it would be a good idea to remember to be polite if we message him or any other politician. You could do it pragmatically thinking it might get through or you could do it out of human decency, but I've seen/heard some colorful rhetoric about real firearms that always feels a bit like a turn-off despite me being on the same side of the issue

Reactions: UCChris
I left in IL in 2015 after living there for 59 years. It's never too late. I learned to vote with my feet. I went to MO for 3 years and now am in CO, but am looking to leave as the laws here are changing. To all the loudmouths who can't break the social media habit, especially those in states with less restrictive laws, keep talking about your full auto big bores, and moderators.

Reactions: lbc_PSI
Guys I Hate to say what i'm about to say and hopefully this doesn't get deleted by the mods, and ITruly do Not mean to ruffle any feathers,..

I have seen this coming for some time, and to be honest i am not surprised IL is one of the 1st to try to "impose' some form of restrictions on our hobby.

The minute we as air gunners started using just the few key words below the algorithms picked them up and brought them to attention of tree huggers behind such detection programs..
examples: semi-auto, full-auto, multi shot magazine, .50 cal, just to name a few.

Is it unfortunate, hell yes, but it is kind of self-inflicted...

There is No way the small airgun community can take on big government, we do not have the NRA backing us up..

Again , this is NOT intended to stir the pot, it is simply one man's opinion from Texas.

Reactions: Smitty911
Guys I Hate to say what i'm about to say and hopefully this doesn't get deleted by the mods, and ITruly do Not mean to ruffle any feathers,..

I have seen this coming for some time, and to be honest i am not surprised IL is one of the 1st to try to "impose' some form of restrictions on our hobby.

The minute we as air gunners started using just the few key words below the algorithms picked them up and brought them to attention of tree huggers behind such detection programs..
examples: semi-auto, full-auto, multi shot magazine, .50 cal, just to name a few.

Is it unfortunate, hell yes, but it is kind of self-inflicted...

There is No way the small airgun community can take on big government, we do not have the NRA backing us up..

Again , this is NOT intended to stir the pot, it is simply one man's opinion from Texas.

I know it looks like we are sliding into authoritarian communism. But I consider myself a keen observer, speculator and futurist. There's a good chance this pendulum swings hard the other way and we reassert our sovereignty under the constitution as originally intended. People are starting to get wise to a lot of corruption.

Talk all you want,the true problem is not the politicians so much as people Not really getting involved with actually trying to stop the restrictive bills from passing.
The poster got involved by being informed and trying to inform others
Then we get the dodads that complain,and that all All they do is complain and nothing else ; dodas are actually worse than the politicians,
Talk all you want,it does nothing,informing others and actually taking action is called "Pro Active":..believe me it can be a learning process and quite frustrating.....but doing nothing is worse,

Reactions: FarmPlinker
Jeez. My wife shoots .177 airguns because she doesn't have a FOID. This would really suck.
i am not positive, have not looked it up yet , but i was told that even .177 needs a foid card now if shooting 700 fps, even walmart does not sell any .177 's that shoot over 700 fps, i hope the info i was given is false for everyone using them , i only use 22 cal , (fat fingers & failing eyes) i was loading backwards too many times, & went to all 22 cal , infact i applied & got a FOID card almosst 10 yrs ago ,when i found out , that i was illegal with my danged pellet gun. i have had foid cards before , but let them expire because i didn't have time or place to shoot 22 LR ..

Well then, what are you doing to prevent it from happening?

I certainly didn’t vote for it.
I suppose I could ask you the same thing. Who's your newest Senator?

Why did that happen? Was it maybe because you were outnumbered by a large margin and no matter what you might have done would have been done in vain?

What people who ask these questions don't seem to realize is that some states are so profoundly blue that those voters simply overwhelm conservatives.

Look at California; it's such a dark blue state that our tyrant of a Governor doesn't even have to campaign.

Reactions: lbc_PSI
You folk in Illinois need to defeat this ridiculous bill. Just another attack on freedom. :(
I will post this on another site that has folk in Illinois. Networking.
Again, guys who live in places like Idaho just don't get it.

The reason these laws get passed, or even considered, is because the sate legislatures are composed mainly of the opposing party. You will not change their minds.

Think of it this way, if you were a state legislator who wanted to promote 2nd amendment issues and suddenly a small contingent of anti-2nd amendment protestors wanted you to change your mind, would you? Of course not, you'd tell them to go kick rocks.

And that's the way it is with state legislatures that are so powerful (like California) that there really is nothing to be done.

The wonderful people of Pennsylvania not only elected an obviously incapacitated, incoherent Senator who is now in a psych ward but also a dead state Representative by a landslide!
But again, I didn’t vote for him. In fact I know of only one other person in Pennsylvania that did. Large numbers of people in cities can readily carry a state majority (Captain Obvious).

I recently received a minor “notice” from a moderator for a post that was significantly less political than the majority in this thread. So......

Status
Not open for further replies.