• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Problems with Benjamin Cayden

My Cayden arrived from Amazon a day early --yesterday. I was pretty darned pleased when I opened the box as the rifle is handsome and the Turkish walnut stock had wonderful figure -- dark and light contrasts, fiddleback -- that I knew I could really bring out with a hand-rubbed Tru-Oil finish. It was fully pressurized with air and I just had to shoot it a couple of times in the house. I can confirm its reputation as being loud out of the box. A Buckrail moderator for it had arrived the day before, along with a single-shot tray from E-Bay seller glowinglass, so I spun on the moderator first and took a couple of shots. What a difference! Then I fitted -- or tried to fit -- the single shot tray. It finally, grudgingly slid into place, but then the funky pellet arm was difficult to open and the hole oversized enough that the pellets just fell right out if not extremely careful. I used it for just three or four shots and had the devil of a time removing it, only to find the hinge "pin" if you can call a flimsy fluted plastic finger a pin -- had failed to deal with the force needed to close the tray and partially collapsed. I was also having trouble with the bolt not wanting to fully close. So, much as I wanted to shoot it some more, I set it aside and emailed Crosman today about lunchtime.
Imagine my astonishment when I got a phone call an hour or two later from Randy Holmes, a Crosman customer service rep. Randy comes across as a very nice guy wanting to sort problems for Crosman customers (plus he is a Cayden owner and shooter). I put the phone on speaker as he asked me to go through a couple of exercises, rifle absolutely clear of pellets or mag, and after increasing pressure, the bolt did close. He asked me to repeat this several times and it got easier and easier, despite feeling something grinding inside the receiver. And then I noticed the bolt was cracking near the rear hinge. Randy said that's enough, I'll send you a new Cayden. He emailed a UPS return label and it goes back tomorrow. We'll see how this plays out, but I think I will be a very happy camper -- and I have never had a customer service rep call me within hours of e-mailing a warranty problem. WOW!

That's a happy ending story for certain! (y)

I also have a Cayden, bought a couple years ago.... I was late to the party again for a great shooting rifle! I also use the BuckRail moderator which makes it backyard shooting friendlier. My experience with a single shot loader (sled) was buying 3D made from Ebay - made for another make rifle (don't recall which one) and modifying by filing it to fit.... It works, but,,, I must take care to NOT allow the pellet to slide rearward as it WILL jam the lever mechanism, and then you must turn the rifle up-side-down and point downward allowing the pellet to fall out. YES it is a PITA! I now only use the sled while bench shooting and have gotten much better at using it without incident.
Good luck with your Cayden.

Reactions: Billinoregon