• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Prefer snappy focus or wider wheel range?

With the new model that Falcon has added 505 vs 503, it made me curious what you would prefer in your FT scope.

Falcon has been well known for how snappy their focus is. I have heard a lot about how well the focus snaps in when found with the wheel. They came out with an additional model this year that reduces the snappiness of the focus but almost doubles the spacing between 50-55 yards on the scope wheel. On the UK forums, where Falcon is more popular, they seem to be surprised by this new option.

Just curious….
Would you prefer the focus on your FT scope snap into focus quicker/easier?
or
Would you prefer to have twice the space on your scope wheel to find the focus in those harder to identify distances?

Snappy for me. I have an X50, the older one with supposedly snappier mechanics (versus newer version).

My X50 is the easiest range-by-focus scope I own or have tried.

With many scopes the issue with mushiness and ambiguity in "clear" is that you have to decide to make your mark on the wheel for that distance at the beginning of clear, the perceived peak of clear, or as you're leaving clear. Being consistent and knowing how you set up the wheel makes a mushy side wheel usable, but greatly complicates the endeavor. Especially compared to the original X50 where it's either clear or it's not. With the X50 there's no 1/4-3/8" area on the face of the wheel where everything within that range is clearish like there is with so many other scopes.