• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Precision vs. Accuracy In Target Shooting (short article approx 3-5 min read)

I’d been meaning to post this for a while for reference to members new to target shooting sports. This topic has come up in several discussions in the forums, but I don’t recall reading or seeing any source materials presented to support claims that have been posted. Enjoy the article. It is short and to the point.

Last edited:
yeah! if you're gonna show off your grouping, put it on the bullseye :)
accurice.png

BTW for those that don't know, Eley makes great .22 ammo. I see they have pellets branded but I've never used those.

yeah! if you're gonna show off your grouping, put it on the bullseye :)
View attachment 288615

BTW for those that don't know, Eley makes great .22 ammo. I see they have pellets branded but I've never used those.
I have some Eley pellets , was sighting in a rifle with its favorite pellet H&NTT and got it to a nice group just touching the bull dot , for grins i used the Eley and did nothing to the scope and they shot centered on the dot . YMMV BTW i went back to H&N and shot on top of the original group just touching the dot .

Reactions: pdxFrank
I don't think we're going to convince air gunners to adopt the term precision in lieu of the term accuracy. Accuracy has been used incorrectly for eons and we are stuck with it, lol.

So true and kind of annoying, lol.

Fun when you get a "precise" group and it goes where intended or "accurately".
Easier said than done.

Reactions: beerthief
I would rather use the term accuracy and consistency. Accuracy is putting the shot exactly where I want/aim or the bullseye, consistency is how many times I can hit bullseye.

Another way to look at it is consistency is sub MOA groups, accuracy is hitting exactly where I aim at any target at random distances with condition changes like wind the first shot repeatedly. You can be consistent(sub MOA groups) but not accurate(can’t hit your target/bullseye) but accuracy can’t not be achieved without supreme consistency.

Whoa! Language alert! Be careful. Some folks in younger generations may not know what a carriage-return is and are confused. It has been called the Enter key for their entire lives. Fortunately, I am old enough to have used a typewriter and know of what you speak.

Proof I did learn. Have a good one.

Whoa! Language alert! Be careful. Some folks in younger generations may not know what a carriage-return is and are confused. It has been called the Enter key for their entire lives. Fortunately, I am old enough to have used a typewriter and know of what you speak.

Proof I did learn. Have a good one.
You young 'uns!

In my day the carriage return was the last coach and horses home after a long day at the hunt.;)

• Haha
Reactions: Healthservices