• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pounding Em @ Long Range

Got out for another afternoon bunny hunt. Not a lot of rabbits but managed to harvest these 6 @ ranges from 109-178 yds, along the bluff in the background. This outing was sort of a field test for the new Huma Power Plenum installed/tuned (On my Matador), for throwing .25 cal JSB Heavies down range. I was absolutely tickled with the results. Very consistent and accurate. One rabbit required a 2nd shot and I lost a 7th rabbit, in the rocks, which I gut shot.
LmmoM7h.jpg

​I wrapped up the afternoon, with my longest shot to date, @ 202 yds. I took a marking shot about 10' to the right (usually do this for most shots over 100 yds. and rabbits just sit there) made a elevation adjustment and pulled off a 1 shot kill.
bThDjGA.jpg

bsuayAu.jpg

dV5OSbM.jpg

"jking"HJ, what do you have you gun zero'd at and what method are you using for long range shooing, dialing it in with clicks or using that great Hawke reticle for hold over. Great shooting..
Jimmy

​Hey Jimmy...I use turret adjustments for elevation, mils for windage hold off and have it zeroed @ 50 yds. I have several turrets, with different scope tapes, which I developed using Chairgun Pro tools. These cover variations in temperature and JSB weights. At 50 yard zero, with heavies @ 898 fps, 30 degrees & 4500' elev., my turret was 4 clicks shy of maxed out for the 202 yd setting (173 clicks total, 7 shy of 3 full turns). Two days ago, I hit one @ 234 yds on the third shot. This was with the turret maxed out and using an additional 3.5 mil holdover. Just wanted to see what I could do but I'm going to keep my shots within 150-175 yds depending on conditions...The last two trips I haven't lost a bunny inside of 150 yds (3 requiring a follow up shot) but have lost 3 outside of that. Plus it's a poop load of walking retrieving them, out that far. :)

Here's another day out in the desert, including my longest kill @ 232 yds...I am loving air rifles because I get 2000 percent more practice and exposure to all the nuances of long range shooting. I directly attribute my last elk kill @ 876 yds. (no wind conditions), using a Weatherby 300 mag w/ Leupold tactical glass, to all the knowledge I've gleaned from shooting the Matador. Body position, peripheral components, breathing, windage/elevation calibration, ballistic knowledge, ammunition selection, etc. are all equally applicable to both venues...you might say, "Same sandbox...one is just bigger than the other".

dremZgt.jpg