• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Poi always shifting! Im frustrated!

Okay, i posted this this before. But i still cant seem to find the problem. 

im zeroed at 40 yds on target i shoot a group shot they all hit dead on touching groups dead center. 

as soon as i change my shot to a different target at the same 40yds my poi is shifting either high or low but the groups are still great. Just now off center. i just cant figure out whats causing the shifting of it. I thought it was me at first from all the inputs on my last post but now i dont think its me. 

anyone have any ideas? 

Sounds link you may be canting the rifle based on the above info since the shift happens when you move the rifle onto a different target without any other changes. Do you have a level on the rifle? Something like this helps to resolve cant issues:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F09ETG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_F4FD65MQ4FY9KJR76N8J

Article describing the problem with test targets showing the results of various cants on POI at various ranges using a .177 air rifle. https://www.riflescopelevel.com/cant-tests/

Dennis

Here's another thought, have someone else, known to be a good shot, and see if that person has same issue. You'll find out real quick if it's you. Sometimes we can develop a bad habit without knowing, not saying this the case, but be an easy way to eliminate one more variable.

Irritation and eroded confidence can play havoc. Try not to stress out from over thinking, sometimes stepping away for bit can help.

Cheers

MOST IMPORTANT! Get comfortable before shooting.

Try this. Shoot your first group - then shoot your next group at the same target without moving anything. Did the second group land directly over the first group? If it did then you are changing more than just moving your POA when shooting your second target.

What type of rest are you using? I like bags for PBers but prefer a bipod for my Bantam.

Also I prefer a scope with a "tight" eyebox for target shooting. One that FORCES you to put your eye in the same place.

That barrel assembly design is relatively complex, with numerous places for a problem to arise. It might have nothing at all to do with your problem, and the suggestions mentioned above are certainly valid. But, given the design, it might be worthwhile to double check all the assembly points, just to be sure the liner, sleeve, shroud, moderator, etc, are all secure. The fact that the POI shifts only when changing your POA is puzzling, but it suggests that something is inconsistent with the rifle's support, or your technique. I had an early generation Crown that suffered this issue, and I could never figure it out. 

Post a picture of your setup. Does your scope have side focus. When the side focus/ parallax is adjusted properly you should be able to move your head around and the crosshairs should not move off target. Also make sure the gun is held the same paying attention to cheek pressure and grip. Your not holding the gun down with your hand touching the barrel. Also make sure the barrel isn’t touching anything on your rest .

Post a picture of your setup. Does your scope have side focus. When the side focus/ parallax is adjusted properly you should be able to move your head around and the crosshairs should not move off target. Also make sure the gun is held the same paying attention to cheek pressure and grip. Your not holding the gun down with your hand touching the barrel. Also make sure the barrel isn’t touching anything on your rest .

I second this statement. I have had the same issue before and it was parallax and my cheek weld. Hope this helps.

Gary
Venice, FL

Fwiw…..when I shoot FT matches in the west where there is typically no tree cover, I use mirage for 90% of my wind hold information. To see the mirage that is going to help you make the right decision…you must focus the scope somewhere between yourself and the target. If you look at the mirage with the target in focus you are viewing the mirage past the target which often does not agree with the mirage before the target.

My point is that I shoot all of my long (40-55y) shots with the scope way out of focus so I can watch the mirage. There is not time to read the mirage and then re focus the scope on the target. The parallax error induced by me shooting way out of focus is not enough to bother anything. I’m 100% certain that parallax error is not causing your trouble with 1” vertical shifts at 40y. Back your head up a little bit so that you see a black ring around the outside of your scope. Move your head around so the black ring is the same width all the way around. This will remove parallax error even if you are way off…which I doubt that you are.

You will experience orders of magnitude more vertical shift shooting slugs vs pellets…especially from a gun that has a lot of flex points. I would try shooting pellets and see if you have the same problem.

Mike 

If the scope was adjusted to much at sight in the spring tension is not correct and the POI could change from time to time. That could happen during a series of shots on the same target and you would know. If only happens when changing targets I would think it was me.

After the change of POI do you leave scope setting as is.?

Thanks for posting, good stuff for us all.

Please let us know what you find.

I second this statement. I have had the same issue before and it was parallax and my cheek weld. Hope this helps.

Gary
Venice, FL

3rd. this sounds like parallax, but shooters should (unless very slight) see the poa shift as he moves behind the scope.

Here's my observation and what I think is going on:

Last Friday I had my new Maverick .30 cal out, shooting groups at 50 yards, at different setting looking for the best. After I settled on one setting I was shooting 10 shots groups as fast as the the plenum would recharge and noticed that the groups would open up. So I took a break and decided to shot 5 shot groups, before moving to the next target. Here's what happened, the POI started center and then the groups moved right for a couple sessions and then moved low.

So I took another 10-15 minute break and started over, Once again after a couple groups the POI moved right then low., so I stopped and for what ever reason, I put my hand on the barrel shroud and it was ice cold. I think what is happening; as the barrel/shroud cools the POI shifts, because when I took a break it came back to the original POI. As a powder burner, I know too many rounds in quick succession wiii change the POI, and I think this is what is happening.

Next step is a carbon fiber shroud and then I'll test the results and see, meanwhile, I'll just have to slow down.

Hope this helps.