• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Planning on getting back into the shop

DaveG

Apr 1, 2015
will be another week or two before i plan on spending the better part of a real day out in the shop, but boy, is my head spinning thinking about all the things I want to play with! Been a LONG time! 

I have a hand full of old projects to finish off, which is where I will begin. In that, there is still some pretty cool stuff to get done. A couple of complete builds, stock finishing, anodizing, etc... As well, I have a pair of Bullpup ground up builds I want to pull out, and take a stab at wrapping up. One was already complete, and assembled, but needs a stock. The other is a bunch of parts, maybe half the build... I'd love to get it finished off, as it was a different type of build for me.

Keep in mind, my plan these days it to share as much of the details as I can. I will try my best to photograph and document everything, post on my Facebook group, and answer any questions that I can. I am aware that I will need to take it slow, and be careful with using my arm - but, suspect stopping to photo everything will help keep me in check ;-)

I am excited to get back to it... been a while since I had that feeling.

Dave,
I have always been interested in stock making. That last paragraph has me excited. Don't get me wrong, it's really wonderful to see a finished stock all shiny and done. But, the work has been an interest of mine for some time. My woodworking experience is more of the cut, sand, glue, finish, done. Think, "Adirondack chair" and the like and you've got the idea. I also work primarily off established plans. What you do is more like sculpting, to me! And, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how that works. Thank you in advance for sharing the process with all of us! 
Did you decide on a pattern (1-5) or, keeping that on the down low? 
Also, could you please PM me your FB group name or link?
Thanks,
Tom

Not long after I started following the forums and found your website you stopped making stocks/guns. I hope to one day own one of your creations though they rarely come up for sale. Your designs are unique and beautiful, each one different but no one more stunning than another. It's good to know you are getting back to what gives you great joy and hope you can keep doing it for many more years to come.

I think this is the direct link to the group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1495365260702518/

My plan is to actually do 3 out of the 5 stocks. I have not determined exactly which 3 yet, as I am trying to leave it up to the 'group' to choose 2 out of the 3 - if participation is there. If not, I will simply choose what I want ;-) I do plan on showing everything I do, step by step, as I do it. I will get a piece set up, and photograph it. Cut or shape it, and photograph it. End of day, I will upload what I did, and describe t step by step best I can... I know it will be slow, especially at first, but I think for those that stick around, I will hopefully get to some stuff that they can pick up on, or be inspired by?!

hehehehe, shoot, I am being followed! Aren't there laws against that kind of stuff?

Ted, In the past, it has always been about producing the next piece for sale - and with the airgun crowd, you can never produce it fast enough, or good enough. I am done with worrying about that part of my journey. I am now looking at it as strictly a creative outlet for myself, as well as (hopefully) a learning experience/opportunity for others.