• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pidgeon Popping Power

I would personally use a lower powered setting on the rifle. Depending on how large the barn is, I would go with no more than 12ft/lb. This will give you more shots ( of course depending on your gun ) and will also not damage the barn. Though I would make sure you have a solid back stop behind the pigeon when you shoot, so you don't punch holes in the tin roof, or the plywood.

Pellet would be what ever you can get to shoot accurately. I haven't seen many pellets really expand at lower powers to really make a difference. A well placed shot will do all the damage you will need.

If I had a barn to shoot pigeons in I’d I’d use what ever wadcutter pellets any of my several sub 12 fpe guns can shoot well. Wadcutters are the ultimate close range lower power pesting ammo. The flat nose hits hard and there minimum risk of pass through especially in the sub 8 fpe level. 
I killed hundreds of pigeons when I was younger with a lowly 1377 and rws wadcutters. 

Thanks guys. I don't want to shoot too hot inside the barn but also want to be certain of dispatching them cleanly. I know shot placement is key so I will test wadcutters for accuracy and pay mind to the backdrop. Might give the Polymag shorts a try also (Hatsan AT44 and regular Polymags don't fit the mag).

Easy way to test it is place a block of wood or board at your shooting distance. Tune your gun to 550fps and shoot the wood board or block, if the pellet digs in pass the skirt you have more than enough power to kill 2 pigeons. If it bounces off then you don’t have enough power, you will be surprised on how little power is needed to kill a bird. At 20 yards even 177 at 500fps is enough.

Shooting pigeons and hosps is one of the reasons I got back into airguns. For refference, the longest shot inside my sister's barn was 22 yards. Most shots were around 10-15 yards. For pigeons I found my modified Crosman 2260 shooting wadcutters or Crow Magnums at 12fpe was more than enough to humanely put them down. For hosps I used my .177 6fpe Crosman 2400KT and wadcutters. Both these guns are very quiet which really helps, however they aren't much good in the cold. During the cold months I used my .22 Brocock Contour (the gun in my avatar) shooting Crow Mags at 15fpe. 

I also kept my .22 Daystate Regal outside for when they would smarten up and fly out. Once outside they tend to sit in the trees or atop the outbuildngs putting a higher powered gun to use.

This past August we spent 3 weeks at our daughter's in upstate Montana. Her in-laws own 2 large ranches and a farm and asked me to help with the pigeons. I only had my .177 HW100BP-K with me, but between myself and my son in law shooting his .22 Benjamin NP, we littered the ground with pigeons.

Something I've witnessed. We all know headshots will produce a lot of wing flapping and rolling on the ground. That disturbance can scare off birds. I've shot many more when taking them with heart/lung shots as they don't put on much of a show. With less meat for the pellet to penetrate, I prefer a well placed shot to the center of the back than the front, though inside buildings they rarely present us that shot. 

Whatever gun you decide on, good shooting and have fun!