• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Photographic filters on scopes

I just noticed that the front of my cheapo CenterPoint scope unscrews to reveal what looks like a standard sized filter thread. I suppose this is for attaching a shroud or flip-up cap or something like that. But it got me thinking... is there any photographic filter that would enhance the visibility of game?

Maybe I could use a star filter to put a twinkle in a bunny's eye before his head explodes.

Reactions: Michael
Yes...also sun shade extensions, anti reflective honeycomb filter and on and on. There are photographic filters which I have attached that were from my camera that enhanced low light gathering, however, you must take into account what the scope manufacturer has already done to enhance the ability of the scope to gather and refract the light image. Some added filters work and others don't. All I can say is that on several different manufacturers scopes when adding a polarizing lens cap will distort your higher magnifications or render the cross hairs invisible to the user. Trial and Error.

"kris"sorry guys, I just don't see how can you enhance low light gathering by sticking additional layers on, complete nonesense

The scope gathers more light than your eye, so in bright light, the overall brightness is limited by the iris of your eye. Colored filters change the relative brightness of different colors before your eye reduces the overall brightness, so the colors that pass the filter end up visibly brighter.

Well, say what you may about filters on rifle scopes, but until you do, don't sell the idea short!

I often use a neutral gray to REDUCE the incoming light. When used with a eyepiece shield, this allows the pupil to open further, which reduces the depth of the focus field. That's a good thing when you are shooting really distances.

I also use a yellow filter during hazy days too.

almost every scope manufacture uses some sort of multi layered (colored) lens system the greatest advantage I have found of front threaded scopes is the ability to add extended sun shades that greatly increases sharpness of target and in a different line of work or in the extreme long range game as I have played ...to find mirage at varrious intercepts to gauge wind!
Jonathan 

"bhbeyes"True but this is a rifle scope intended for magnifying not taking pictures so your not going to find anything that's made to fit it and since you took off the end cap you just released any nitrogen that was in the scope there by ruining its ability to repel internal moisture in other words its going to fog up in sudden temperature changes.
All I took off was a metal ring that protects the threads when they're not in use. The objective lens is retained by another ring.

Honeycombs sun shades work okay, and they really aren't expensive. The alternative is to use museum glass. That takes a few words to explain. 

Museum glass has tiny baffles (for lack of a better word) cast in as part of the glass making process. The glass is also parallel ground to make the surfaces absolutely parallel to one another. There is no glare, and you have to look within a few degrees of perpendicular to the glass, or you can't see through it. I had one on an old Leupold 24x50 target scope many years ago. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't cheap. Whether you use a honeycomb or museum glass sun shade, you do lose a little bit of brightness. But since you typically use one on a very bright day, who cares? 

There is one drawback to the Hawk honeycomb sun shade—you cannot attach an additional winter on the end of it like you can with its competition. So if you use a yellow haze or neutral density filter, you have to install it before the honeycomb. So, in changing conditions, it is a bit less convenient.