• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Permission newbie looking for advice

So we have a few cattle farms in the county and I was looking for some excuses to shoot more stuff than I get to now. I have a .22 prophet compact and have it set to around 25 fpe right now and wondering what a good power would be to not have shoot throughs. I think we have one dairy farm and hear the guy running it is a little nutty, a pretty big beef farm that may prove promising and a corn/cattle farmer that I hope will turn into a deer hunt permission as well. I work for the sheriff's dept so making contact while working will be easy enough, just not sure how you guys sell it to the farmers. We have an exotic animal sanctuary as well and figure the noneating stuff can end up there for free feeding food. I would eat the pest doves. Any tips would be great.

Ask nicely, explain what your guns can do and offer your service of removing pest birds to them. A good one is you are practicing your rifle shooting skills while trying to help local farmers at the same time. Probably would be iffy to show up in uniform but I dont know about that. Depends how they feel on the law showing up unannounced and wanting access to their stuff i suppose. 

Offer to show them how the gun works and its accuracy, most will think you have a BB gun with no accuracy but after you tell them what it can do they will want to know how loud it is. Best to keep a target stand and your gun with you when you ask and put a nice group on paper for them. 

When you get permission, ask when a good time would be for someone to walk/drive you around and show you the places you can and cannot shoot. Take note of any holes in roofs and take pics if possible, some farmers dont even look for damage to their buildings until the day after you have been there shooting. This will save your butt eventually. 

As for FPE, shooting inside buildings youll want 5-7ish. Outdoors is totally dependant on the situation and location 

All but one of my permissions are also customers of mine so I cant offer much to a cold sell except be honest. I did muster up interest when I was talking to a feed supplier about airgun pest/varmint services. He contacted a ranch owner who was having a nutria problem, two weeks later I was taking nutria out of his ponds. Might be an angle to try.

From one public servant to another....don't involve the uniform! You don't want to have that used against you by the employer or the landowner. If it comes up in conversation, sure, tell em. But do not make it part of the introduction or the request.

Big, open smile and a firm hand shake. Look em in the eye. Thank them all the same before they give a yes or no. Give them your number/email on a card or 3x5 card.

Don't go with the expectation of shooting the same day as you make contact... Don't be in a hurry. Take a gun to show and let them shoot if they are curious.

Have some photos of previous kills ready to show.

Good luck

I went to several farms and fruit stands operated by mom and pop farms. One of them had a squirrel problem that wipes out 20 percent of the nuts he grows. He was so afraid of getting sued if I hit someone or a vehicle that he kindly declined. Most the people I talk to refuse for that reason. I am not sure if that's because I live in Ca where gun regulations are so stiff or if it's because I didn't sell it right. Either way don't get discouraged if several say no. Keep trying and someone will say yes. It got so bad that I was thinking about paying for a newspaper article at one point. 

I went to several farms and fruit stands operated by mom and pop farms. One of them had a squirrel problem that wipes out 20 percent of the nuts he grows. He was so afraid of getting sued if I hit someone or a vehicle that he kindly declined. Most the people I talk to refuse for that reason. I am not sure if that's because I live in Ca where gun regulations are so stiff or if it's because I didn't sell it right. Either way don't get discouraged if several say no. Keep trying and someone will say yes. It got so bad that I was thinking about paying for a newspaper article at one point.

Offer to and present a "hold harmless agreement". This may tip the odds in your favor and let the farmer know you are serious and willing to take legal responsibility for harm or damage.

Tried a neighbor who dropped off some pecans this morning. Old guy who lives with his girlfriend but keeps his house on our street. Caught up with him and thanked him for the pecans and asked if he had a squirrel problem. He said he used to keep them away with some store bought stuff but has been lacking on that lately and now they are back. Told him I have a quiet high power pellet gun and that I could help him with it. He bought a pellet gun at walmart and asked the city manager if he could shoot them and was told sure go ahead. He went home only to see the manager show up at his house after speaking with the police chief, who told him not a good idea. I am sure he bought a loud springer from walmart and lives in city limits.

Completely agree with JimNM... don't muddy the water. Showing up in a uniform on duty etc is a big no go...implications of pressure, employer involvement, responsibility, etc. If it comes up while BS'ing, sure....what you do for a living is far game if you want it to be. But also, you could just leave it out entirely or be vague to avoid potential issues. My 2 cents....

Frankly I never had an AG permission, but I used to hunt pheasant and quail on hunting permission on large farms. I showed up with a big smile, hand shake, exchanged numbers and usually left a case of beer, donuts and/or cleaned birds. 

Show up in non camo, find thier last name (onx app is great) and introduce yourself. I find if you know their last name and how big the property is it makes it easier as you have done some research. Offer to help the property owner in anyway you can. I’m a firefighter but own a landscape business too. I have traded fall clean ups for permission. 
good luck hope that helps