• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellets - what would you do different when first buying pellets?

I am finding so far that JSB Exacts work best in all my springers (FW 124D, HW 35 and RWS 350). All are 177 cal. Am currently testing RWS domes, Crossman Premiers and H&N Field Target (4.5, 4.51, and 4.52). I have a pellet scale and pellet sizer now and eventually will get around to testing the 3 best with uniform pellets.
Pellet sizer , can you elaborate? I do have a Beeman .177 Pell sizer, how ever the die is large for my applications. What do recommend if I may ask?

Advice for the new/newer PCPers . . .
When I got started in December '22 I spent several hundred dollars spent on pellets that are hardly worth shooting now, IMO. If I had it to do over again, I would follow the advice of the experienced shooters on the forum and stick to the brands and weights (caliber specific) of pellets that have proven to be the most accurate in most guns, instead of trying to re-invent the wheel and load up on every tom, dick and harry brand and weight, thinking I am going to eventually discover the holy grail! Save your money for more important things.

Any other opinions?
Slug the barrels.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
Yep. I pretty much stuck with the recommendations when I first started out. Not all of it worked out, even though they were on the recommended list. CPUM and CPHP pellets were good in the Benji and Marauder, but I bought a bunch of tins at one point that shot terribly. Held onto them for tuning purposes, but my 1701P does great with them at 10-20 meters. Still shoot like snot out of anything with guts, though. After all this time, I can pretty much buy any tin of JSBs and know they will shoot well. The only tin of bad JSB's I've ever gotten were dropped and damaged in shipping.

I have been shooting JSB and FX pellets since I started. They shoot very well and have no desire to try anything else.
I could save a few bucks if I tried other pellets but I do not want to take the time to try them, tune for them or worse buy them and dislike them.
My spare time is sparse and I relish every minute of it. I enjoy each and every shot out of my air guns and am not going to compromise a single shot to save a few bucks.

When I only had my 1377, I would only buy Crosman wadcutters.

I am sure some of you with expensive guns do actually get them to shoot “Good enough.”

Nowadays I do have plenty CPHP on hand in 177 and 22. I use them when hitting the exact spot is not needed.

The first test for any pellet is can the gun and pellet combo hit the tiny dots on the 30yard target. If they won’t hit the dots at 10m, no point in shooting them further.

I have domes and wadcutters that match certain guns and that is all I will buy for them. I have yet to see any of mine shoot any type of HP of any brand well.

I could probably use Hunters or Hunter Extremes, if an inch at 50 was ok, but that is a miss on a small critter.

Yet the AA 18 or Baracuda 21 will make a ragged hole at that distance. Garden protection in the suburbs demands accuracy. No one wants a screaming bunny at 3am....

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Why is it any different protocol choosing pellets for PCP vs other kinds of airguns? Are you worried that a pellet might actually damage an expensive gun?

My newbie horse sense is to only buy a few tins of one kind at a time before deciding to buy more of the same kind. Get a chance to practice a lot with each kind before making that decision.

One change already made is to not jump between different pellets in one or a few sessions, but to stick with the same kind for at least a couple hundred before switching. Some people might have very specific wishes for a pellet and be able to rule out a pellet earlier than that, but I want to give it a fair chance. Also, my gun does not seem too picky as far as reliably shooting the pellets goes. Not talking about accuracy here, merely being able to load and fire the pellet without trouble.

I know I am still a newbie at this.
I researched, I read and listened to those that had more experience.
I tried a few cheaper pellets, thought I might get lucky.
But, for me there no such thing as," shoots well enough". I don't do, "good enough for plinking," either.
No judgement on anyone, it is just me. I have to know that where I aim is where I hit as long as I do my job, the rifle will do it's job.
Not close enough, or almost, or good enough for pesting. Just me. You do you.

Doc

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
■ My rookie mistake #1:
I bought pellets that looked cool, or had a cool name. 🤦‍♂️

■ Rookie mistake #2:
I had no idea which pellet shapes are good for which type of shooting.

■ Rookie mistake #3:
I didn't ask anybody for advice before hitting the Place-in-cart button.

Let's not get into my rookie mistake list when buying my first scope (or my second scope!). 🤦‍♂️

What would have helped me is this:
A table of 40 currently available pellets that are:
• High quality
• High BC (or at least medium)
I included all reports of BC numbers I could find, with their sources, so you can draw your own conclusions (measuring yourself will of course beeven more precise).
• This is for .22cal.

Matthias 😊

❌️ Attachment:
Pellet BC Table

View attachment PELLETS. BC Table .22cal.pdf

To add, buy from retailers like Utah Airguns, because they carefully pack there pellets the right way, not like idiot's like Bullet Central or Pyramyd Air that pack them with no protection from having the tins fk up
Like this
IMG_3835.JPG
IMG_3837.JPG

This is the way you'll find them from Pyramyd Air or Bullet Central
Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 4.46.57 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 4.46.44 AM.jpg

When I started I tried everything, mostly what you could pickup in the stores. This was pre internet when air rifle information had to be tracked down. Eventually found some British Airgun magazines and started noticing that most Field Target shooters were using Crossman Premiers. Knowing that Field Target shooters main concern was accuracy and that’s what they were using that’s where I landed. TX200, Crossman Premiers but now it is JSB and its counterparts AA and FX pellet. I actually do very little experimenting and my shelves are heavy with those brands. When something else comes along and dethrones those for accuracy that’s where I will go.

I do not really have all the experience with pellets that you guys and gals do, but with one recommendation from 'Toasty, I shot the Crosman HP Pellets and found them to be decent quality, and priced low enough for my retirement income level.
Now, because I am new I simply am not qualified to give specific advice. BUT....I have 54 years in archery, and buddy let me tell you there ARE parallels. In archery a similar condition exists with broadheads. Folks discuss weight, concentricity, flight characteristics, and terminal performance. Gee....nothing at all like pellets(LOL). If you read the posts on archery sites you can see a common few answers from old timers: 'Tune your broadheads and arrows and go hunt.' 'If it won't hold an edge, toss it and try another brand.' 'XYZ brand has been around for a jeeelion years snd it still works ' etc.,.
The point is that the business end is what it is. Some folks looove to try new stuff(and they should...that is how we learn). Others find a winning combo that suits them, and they stop right there. Some folks like to argue...not good. Others like a lively and healthy debate...very good! I used to obsess about everything...took the joy out of archery. Be picky within reason, you will have good results AND save your joy and sanity. I am VERY thankful to all of you, as I am learning a ton, but the principles are very very similar.

I do not really have all the experience with pellets that you guys and gals do, but with one recommendation from 'Toasty, I shot the Crosman HP Pellets and found them to be decent quality, and priced low enough for my retirement income level.
Now, because I am new I simply am not qualified to give specific advice. BUT....I have 54 years in archery, and buddy let me tell you there ARE parallels. In archery a similar condition exists with broadheads. Folks discuss weight, concentricity, flight characteristics, and terminal performance. Gee....nothing at all like pellets(LOL). If you read the posts on archery sites you can see a common few answers from old timers: 'Tune your broadheads and arrows and go hunt.' 'If it won't hold an edge, toss it and try another brand.' 'XYZ brand has been around for a jeeelion years snd it still works ' etc.,.
The point is that the business end is what it is. Some folks looove to try new stuff(and they should...that is how we learn). Others find a winning combo that suits them, and they stop right there. Some folks like to argue...not good. Others like a lively and healthy debate...very good! I used to obsess about everything...took the joy out of archery. Be picky within reason, you will have good results AND save your joy and sanity. I am VERY thankful to all of you, as I am learning a ton, but the principles are very very similar.
Awesomeness!!!🤗
You are very correct as to the parallels!
Pellets react MUCH like an arrow in flight(the flight pattern). Shooting bows when I was a pup; I believe helped me with understanding of flight trajectory. Mainly because one can see an arrow fly rather well vs say bbs or pellets. Pretty much anything that can sling a projectile intrigues me😅🤷‍♂️🤣🎩🤙