• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellets selection

I am using JSB Redesigned 25.3 grains and JSB 18.13 grains in my FX Impàct MK II AND Daystate Red Wolf since 2016.
I found Redesigned pellet quality was much better in 2018 compared to what we get these days.
What are the best pellets these days for competition?
The pellets that JSB makes for FX and Air Arms are of better quality than JSB in their own tins.

Just curious if anyone uses a tumbler to polish thier pellets and if it makes a diffrence in consistancy and accuracy?
For pellets with visible parting lines and mold flashing, it does help diminish the parting lines and break away the flashing.

10F7287F-A89A-4A6D-A3B1-381E53E4FDF5.jpeg

It won’t make mediocre pellets into great ones but it does make a demonstrable improvement in some cases. More details on my experiences at

Note I have not used a vibratory tumbler with media, just tumbled them in a wire basket against themselves.

If you are shooting the 18.1s in .22 and 25.4s in .25, then the new JTS pellets are definately worth a try. I bought some 18.1s and found them to be very consisitent, and as a result they shoot better than the JSBs in a some of my guns (others about the same). After the test, I bought a bunch more.
Thanks Dear, I have watched few videos about JTS pellets but these are not available in my country

Makes total sense. I've heard of walnut or corn husk as a soft media that might work. I bet this is a trick the pro's use but don't tell anyone about it. But then again I'm sure they choose the very best of pellets sort by weight and flaws etc.. I don't b see why polishing them up in a tumbler would hurt anything. It's like de-buring a plastic wheel on a cub scout pinewood derby car. Makes a huge difference while rolling down the track if it's flush.
I find that the FX and AA pellets, even though they are made by JSB, are much better quality.
My gun does have tighter groupings with AA compared to JSB.

To OP
Last year season I tried and tested over 15 brand and weight .22 pellets, purchased in packs of 3-5 tins.
- several .22 liners or barrels,
- based on 5 shot groups in target rings @ 40 and 50 meters,
- all the pellets were washed + lubed + head sorted + weight sorted
- the consistency means to me at least a hundred shot - consistent.

My decision was based on volume of shots at least a tin but more per weeks. I started with lightest weight that can group decent at least 40 meters and gradually rising the weights incoming weeks.
Over 5K shots, I documented my testing in a spreadsheet and lot of pictures.
This is a list of pellets that I would buy again, not listing the brands that were just waste of time and money.

- AirArmsDiablo Field, 15.9gn (below 15gn nothing works consistent enough at 40 meters)
- H&N Baracuda 15, 15.85gn (better then both AA Hunter, 15.9gn and Baracuda Hunter, 18gn)
- H&N Baracuda 18, 18.3gn (better then AA Diabolo Heavy, 18gn)
- H&N Baracuda 21, 21.14gn (no significant improvement over Baracuda 18)
- JSB Exact Jumbo Monster RD, 25.38gn (tuning is tricky, need a high blast with short dwell)

And after all this learning curve I decided going forward with pellet sizers. I got the Trrobb in .22 and .25, and reworked to my liking.

Reactions: Spinach