• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet Spiral

I know that we have probably touched on this topic in the past, but I'll be "that guy" that asks again. So I took my Matador .25 out this weekend and was shooting at 100 yards with my iPhone 6 recording @ 240 fps and I noticed that my pellets had a spiral effect in flight. What causes this?? Is it too much power, not enough power, or what? Secondly, will accuracy increase if the effect is negated??

Thanks

Spiraling can be caused by a number of variables including damaged crown/barrel, shroud/ldc clipping, unbalanced/damaged pellets and dirty barrels. Yes, accuracy will improve if the effect is negated. You can reduce your chances of spirals with proper gun maintenance, not firing damaged pellets and checking to see if your magazines are shaving your pellets on loading.

Here is an article Tom posted about the subject. http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/07/do-pellets-spiral/

Actually both too low and too high power can cause pellet spiral .too low power will produce yaw and will not be accurate at any range .too high will cause spiraling at a longer range .Reduce power a little at a time and find the sweet spot for Your rifle .Yaw results from not enough spin to stabilize the pellet .Too much power causes the pellet to spin to fast destabilizing the pellet at longer ranges .The other option would be to install a barrel with less twist too shoot at higher power . Stan

I just find a tree or some other landmark and shoot over it and watch the pellet through the scope against the sky. I've found there's different degrees of spiral. One is the skirt seem to wig wag but the pellet goes straight. And the other the pellet goes in big circles. Normally it's after a distance. When I was have this problem my gun was very accurate at 50 yards but after about 60 yards the pellet started to twirl in big circles and by 80 yards was completely off target.

All replies above are good advice and explanation of what may be going on....

I would add that most air gun shooters tend to look for a pellet stabilization similar to how a bullet is stabilized in a rimfire or certerfire gun...

There are many similarities yes, both projectiles need to rotate in order to induce a gyroscopic stabilizing motion, both tend to wobble a little upon leaving the barrels and before fully stabilizing and do the same when the velocity drops below certain level, both "Yaw" under certain parameters, etc...

But what most people don't take in consideration is that pellets are designed to stabilize the very same way a Badminton Fly does...So if someone wants to emulate what a pellet does upon leaving a barrel, get a racket and a fly and see for yourself...Yes, I know...There are pointed pellets that don't have the "Round" typical pellet head but those are also stabilized with barrels designed for the pellets we are talking about...

This badminton stabilization effect is what makes deep rifling and fast barrels unnecessary unless you want to shoot projectiles that resemble bullets as used in rim & center fire guns. These guns require a barrel with a twist calculated to stabilize the projectile being used and a barrel with a rifling ratio (groove to land ratio)just enough to grab the bullet while minimizing bullet deformation . 

Spiraling - Yawing can be caused by many variables: Damaged crown, longer projectile that what the barrel is designed to stabilize, pellet too light, worn or damaged rifling, not enough engraving or too much, etc.

You can do your own research: Shoot some pellets at a distance to a water container and recuperate those pellets, check around the head and the skirt for deformations - deep engravings, etc...Do the cotton swab test to the crown: Gently Introduce a Q tip through the crown and pull the Q Tip out and then look for fine cotton fibers trapped by the burs around the crown (use a magnifier)...Check for a dull crown (A burred crown and a dull crown provide the same effect).. A loose pellet can also cause yawing, check the gun with other pellets....Too much power in a lighter pellet induces yawing as well....etc...

Regards,

AZ 

Have you checked your pellet head size? The pellets that you are currently using might to too small or too big. Try different jsb head sizes, and see which one shoots best at 50 y. 
I find the higher quality rifles, like more precise head size. In .177 they like 4.50mm, and not 4.52mm pellets. My .22 cal rifles like 5.50 size pelletsand not 5.52 mm pellets.

Just experience.

Biagio