• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet/slug speeds

Pellets and slugs are good at whatever velocity they shoot the best from your gun. 

I have seen Diabolo pellets shoot very accurately at speeds in the 350fps range in a few pistols and in excess of 940fps and higher in some rifles. I have often shot JSB 18gr in .22 at 630fps for .5 inch groups at 50 yards with my pistol. 

While slugs usually shoot better at faster speeds I have had MOA results at 100 yards with them shot at 740 - 960fps velocities with my Impact. Testing at 980 was almost as good so a bit of tuning might make them good for higher fps.

There is no set good speed for slugs, need to find correct barrel and slug combo, with a good barrel slugs can be shot at slower speed than most people think. Plug your slug, barrel and speed information in this stability factor calculator and if the output is greater than 1.5 than you are good, best to be a little over 2. Too much spin you get more spin drift especially in the wind but won’t decrease stability/accuracy much, you can’t really over spin a bullet too much. 

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

pellets are designed to shoot out of smooth bore so less spin is actually better unless it’s the new longer style pellets. 

edit: the calculator helps only with the twist rate vs slug vs speed combo. There are other factors such as choke and actual twist rate. FX and polygon twist rate is different than actual twist rate because the lands are smooth so it won’t “bite” the slugs and spin them at advertised rate. The new superior liners have tighter/deeper lands which solved most of that problem. 

Today, I tried some NOE cast .30 cal pellets at various speeds with the FX STX liner all sized to .299". I am happy many are touching. I was shooting in some gusty winds around 6-8 MPH, but the distance was close at 30 yards

From what the results look like to me, considering the harmonics compared to speeds, the 840’s and the high 800’s are the two best speeds for harmonics. It seems the groups want to open more in between those speeds.

.30 cal test STX 12-21-20.1608594819.jpg