• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pellet prices

New to airgunning, so before a month ago I never bought. 22 pellets. Was surprised to see that pellets aren't alot cheaper than .22LR rounds. Not talking about the Eley Tenex stuff, but Remington, Winchester, CCI SV, Aguila etc.. I just purchased 2 tins of what my air rifle likes on Amazon. Beeman Devastor 16.36 gr. Shipped and sold from Pyramid Air. $.066 per round. I know with any ammo purchase, shipping can make or break you so I always look for cheapest shipping. I guess it is what it is? Was just wondering if pellets have really risen in price the last few years to make them comparable to alot of .22lr ammo, or have they always been around the same?

I don't think I am alone in saying that a lot of us here wait until a holiday and then go shopping at Pyramid Air. The idea is that you save up as much money as you can between holidays and then buy in bulk. They always sell their ammo on a buy 4 and they give you the 5th tin free so for every 4 tins you buy you get one tin free. If you order more than $150 worth they will give you free shipping within the continental US and because it's a holiday they will usually give you an additional 10% discount.

​Sooo you buy on a holiday, get a 10% discount, pay for 4 tins get one free and if you buy more than $150 you get free shipping .... I would NEVER buy 2 tins of anything.

"likkitysplyt"I don't think I am alone in saying that a lot of us here wait until a holiday and then go shopping at Pyramid Air. The idea is that you save up as much money as you can between holidays and then buy in bulk. They always sell their ammo on a buy 4 and they give you the 5th tin free so for every 4 tins you buy you get one tin free. If you order more than $150 worth they will give you free shipping within the continental US and because it's a holiday they will usually give you an additional 10% discount.
​Sooo you buy on a holiday, get a 10% discount, pay for 4 tins get one free and if you buy more than $150 you get free shipping .... I would NEVER buy 2 tins of anything.
Good advice. Thankyou. Just baffles my mind because one would think it would be way more expensive to manufacture a .22 LR round than a lead pellet? You have a larger lead projectile, brass case, gunpowder, primer gunpowder in the rim etc..

Just a little correction. If you order 4 you only pay for 3 but they will ship 4. So from Pyramid you always want to order in quantity’s divisible by 4. Be careful not to mix pellets that are greatly different price as only the cheaper one is free. For example if you order 4 at $17.95ea. You will get 1 free a savings of $17.95. If you order 3 @$17.95 and 1 @ $7.50 you only have a savings of $7.5. Pyramid packs the pellets well and is quick to ship. I live around 600 miles from them and with the economy shipping I get the order usually in 2-3 days.

You are correct Brian, it's been awhile since I bought any pellets because I have been buying in bulk ... you pay for 3 and get the 4th one free.

​I looked up an order that I placed back in October where I bought 16 tins of JSB 25.39 grains.
The price back then was $16.99/ tin.
I only paid for 12 tins and they gave me 4 tins free
Shipping was free
Got a discount of $27.43
$181.45 was my total bill.
On 16 tins that worked out to $11.34/ tin.

Well here's the thing the pellets you are speaking of are good quality pellets. 
so if you go by quality your not paying more. Just like .22lr you can get some Winchester white box and shoot all day but not accurately! Now you spend that couple extra bucks on the eley tenex and get a lot better accuracy. 
same thing for pellets. You can buy crossman and not have accuracy. ( jealous of the guns that shoots Crossmans good) but if you buy a higher quality it cost more. 
so it goes both ways 

"intenseaty22"
"Locker50"
"intenseaty22"Just think of all the money you are saving when you buy a PCP setup: Gun, Tank, Compressor. " src="https://s.w.org/images/core/emoji/2.4/svg/1f602.svg">" src="https://s.w.org/images/core/emoji/2.4/svg/1f602.svg">
I pump, so I didn't have to spend for tank , compressor .
It was a funny. But don’t worry, hang out here long enough, you’ll end up with a compressor. Just don’t go cheap, or you will buy it twice.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. And I thought I spent alot on all my powder burners! Lol!

"Matt247365"
"likkitysplyt"

$11.34/tin is awesome!

Yeah ... it is awesome ... but then I think back to when the wife brought home $2,000 worth of cosmetics and told me that it was on sale and she had to jump on it before someone else got it all ... two years later she ended up giving about a thousand dollars of it away as the expiration date approached.

​Every time she brings it up to me about spending a little money on ammo, I never forget to remind her that ammo doesn't have an expiration date on it ... one day she made the mistake of saying "Well, if it's such a great deal why don't you buy some more?" SOOOOOOOOOO now I got 35 tins of JSB 18.13 grain ammo that I haven't had time to shoot up yet. More than one way to skin a cat!

"likkitysplyt"
"Matt247365"
"likkitysplyt"

$11.34/tin is awesome!

Yeah ... it is awesome ... but then I think back to when the wife brought home $2,000 worth of cosmetics and told me that it was on sale and she had to jump on it before someone else got it all ... two years later she ended up giving about a thousand dollars of it away as the expiration date approached.
​Every time she brings it up to me about spending a little money on ammo, I never forget to remind her that ammo doesn't have an expiration date on it ... one day she made the mistake of saying "Well, if it's such a great deal why don't you buy some more?" SOOOOOOOOOO now I got 35 tins of JSB 18.13 grain ammo that I haven't had time to shoot up yet. More than one way to skin a cat!

Awesome! She gave you the green light! Now when she complains when you buy more. They all do. You can bring up that, "That's what you told me to do"? I'm only listening to you hun? Lol!

"DeadEyeDill"Well here's the thing the pellets you are speaking of are good quality pellets. 
so if you go by quality your not paying more. Just like .22lr you can get some Winchester white box and shoot all day but not accurately! Now you spend that couple extra bucks on the eley tenex and get a lot better accuracy. 
same thing for pellets. You can buy crossman and not have accuracy. ( jealous of the guns that shoots Crossmans good) but if you buy a higher quality it cost more. 
so it goes both ways
Yep. You usually get what you pay for.

"crosman2016"
"DeadEyeDill"Well here's the thing the pellets you are speaking of are good quality pellets. 
so it goes both ways
Yep. You usually get what you pay for.
Yup I agree. You would just think that pellets would be about 1/4 the price or less, of .22LR.