• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A PCP with your favorite shot cycle? and why you think that is?

My Crosman Challenger has to be the one that has the least amount of movement during its cycle.

The Taipan is pretty special too so it rates a close second.

I would also crown the Brocock “Sling Shot” with having the most unique feeling shot cycle. It isn’t bad but it has a feel that is different than any other.

My Crosman Challenger has to be the one that has the least amount of movement during its cycle.

The Taipan is pretty special too so it rates a close second.

I would also crown the Brocock “Sling Shot” with having the most unique feeling shot cycle. It isn’t bad but it has a feel that is different than any other.
Interesting, @Franklink, would you agree with this assessment? I’ve only experienced my four BRK PCPs so cannot contrast the “shot cycle” to other PCPs. To those of you who are fortunate enough to have shot multiple fine PCPs. How would you rate their “shot cycle” in descending order based on your experience?

I just received this Airmaks Katran today and I may say it is the smoothest thing I have shot. I may have to recend my previous statement. Lol

20230810_175958.jpg

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I've not shot a Challenger, but understand it to be a 600fps gun. I HAVE shot some of the single stroke FWB600 series, that are comparable (low) power and they're sublime.

Shot cycle is kinda two parts, one is Newton, the other is design. Regardless of design, low power guns are more chill to shoot than guns putting out more fpe.

Another data point is a 12fpe Anshutz? that I had the pleasure to shoot(owned by @SAZ). I believe it was also originally a 6fpe gun, but hopped up to 12fpe by Allen Z. Another one with an absolute superb shot cycle.

I've spent decent amounts of time with 4 Brococks.
1. Brocock Concept with the walnut stock, ran it from 17-22fpe in the couple years that I owned it.
2. Brocock Concept XL, ran this one from a couple fpe up to 19fpe
3. Brocock Concept XL, ran this one at only 19fpe.
4. BRK Ghost, ran from 18-50fpe in .177, .20, and .22

The Concept XLs on the low end (just a couple FPE) were enjoyable, but didn't hold a candle to the FWB603. And at 12ish fpe they are also fun to shoot, but have much more action noise than the AZ-massaged Anschutz.

The Ghost is similar, not the harshest shot cycle, but not as behaved as a Veteran at similar FPE.

So all 4 BRKS that I've shot have had more action noise and perceived motion than a Veteran at similar power.

The Ghost shot cycle can be improved greatly through running at a higher reg pressure + shimming the valve stem return spring. More crisp, less blaaaaattt. But then it's not stock anymore.

A Veteran at just shy of 20fpe has that short little blip type of shot cycle seen with the FWB600 series single stroke guns.

"Shot cycle" is a term we often see with springers, but PCPs also have distinct ways in how they behave when the trigger is pulled.....and that's what I'm referring to here.

Yes, shot characteristics can be improved through "tuning" and replacing hammer and valve springs, poppet material, etc. And that's probably an entirely different discussion....What I'm curious about is what PCP, in mostly as-issued/oem condition, has the best shot cycle (to you), and why? The rules are simple, no swapping/trading out parts or components, but adjustments to manufacturer's parts are allowed, if the gun's design allows (hammer tension/port restriction/reg pressure).

And this is opinion folks. Please don't get all miffed if me or somebody else lists a gun that you aren't coordinated enough to use, or if your favorite brand or type of gun isn't everyone else's pick. No need for bashing, fan boying, or any of the other immature and asinine behavior that we see all too often on the forums. Not only do we all have different tastes, but nobody here has shot every gun. Maybe we can learn of guns we've not personally shot, or get some ideas on how to "tune" one in our current stable to improve the shot cycle.

My pick for "best" shot cycle is a Taipan Veteran, especially at just under 20fpe, same platform in either .177, .20, or .22. By simply reducing the hammer tension (can be further aided by dropping the reg pressure but not necessary) it produces a crisp and snappy shot cycle. And not a violent "snappy" but a very subdued one, the word snappy referring to the quickness of the entire process. The gun sits perfectly still through the shot, no jump or recoil or muzzle lift. No wasted air, no hammer bounce, no perception of the hammer slopping around in the action as it does its thing, just a simple pull of the trigger and the pellet is very quickly and gently GONE, and a hole appears where the crosshairs were.

When judged only by shot cycle, the Vet beats a bunch of the high end sub 20fpe guns that I've tried (Daystate Delta Wolf, BSA Gold Star, MAC1 USFT, Brocock Concept and Brocock Concept XL, BRK Ghost). The Red Wolf at sub 20fpe might be about neck and neck with a Vet, but I still think I slightly prefer the Vet's cycle.

And surprisingly enough, even at higher FPE outputs, the Vet retains most of what I've described above. Now, of course a 50fpe gun is going to be a different experience than a 20fpe gun, but even a 50fpe Vet is pretty chill to shoot, when compared to other platforms putting out 50 fpe.

As to why I think it has such an enviable (to nearly all the other airguns I've shot) firing cycle? A very light hammer, in conjunction with a rather short and stiff (relatively) hammer spring. The dual transfer port let all the air get to the pellet QUICKLY. The gun weighs enough to absorb the Newton stuff going on. And the trigger design ensures that a trigger break and pellet leaving are seemingly instantaneous. I also think that the quietness of the Vet at just under 20fpe aids in the perception of a desirable shot cycle. It is quiet, and therefore implies that it isn't violent or obnoxious as it is fired. Only one sound is heard during the shot, not multiple brrrpps or blaaaattts or brruuummppps, just a nice quiet "pop" or "snap" if you prefer that term.

What gun produces your favorite shot cycle, and why?
I would say "unmodified" it HAS to be my Steyr's esp the LG110 platform my Hunting Challenge model uses.

As others have mentioned the Taipans are very nice. Was my first bullpup and still think there one of the best out there. I'd go for a rear cocker though, new ones don't do it for me. The Uragans I've owned had very very nice shot cycles also so smooth. I'd maybe put it above Taipan but it's been some time since I've owned either. My R5M .22 Standard was one of my favorite guns hands down and I think the shot cycle went with that. There different style hammer similar to say a revolver or USFT I think played into that. Hard pressed to choose between these 3 for bullpups.

Rifle style Evol for sure. Such a good shooting and feeling gun. There's a new hammer system that is supposed to reduce cocking effort by 40% and will be interesting to see how the shot cycle feels with that one compared to the original.

Last edited:
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
As others have mentioned the Taipans are very nice. Was my first bullpup and still think there one of the best out there. I'd go for a rear cocker though, new ones don't do it for me. The Uragans I've owned had very very nice shot cycles also so smooth. I'd maybe put it above Taipan but it's been some time since I've owned either. My R5M .22 Standard was one of my favorite guns hands down and I think the shot cycle went with that. There different style hammer similar to say a revolver or USFT I think played with that. Hard pressed to choose between these 3 for bullpups.

Rifle style Evol for sure. Such a good shooting and feeling gun. There's a new hammer system that is supposed to reduce cocking effort by 40% and will be interesting to see how the shot cycle feels with that one compared to the original.
In complete agreement with this as far as the Taipan and Evol go.

Reactions: Dairyboy
In terms of movement at release, then I agree with Scott, the Daystate Red Wolf is my best because, well, there's nothing moving in there! Maybe that should disqualify the electronic rifles, since I think that they might be outside the scope of the question.
My Veteran Standard is very pleasing to shoot, and the HW100 also very subtle in its movement. One reason I like my RAW is because it has some relatively big, heavy parts that don't break and are easy to service. But it's not the most gentle in release. Of course, all this stuff is more personal perception and preference than real operating advantage. If the rifle and shooter do the same thing consistently with every shot, the results are good.

I guess I'm doing something wrong with my RAW LRT .22 :(. My Taipan .22 long is ok close to the top but the hammer racket is a negative, I know I could send it off... My Ghost in .177 is pretty nice, with the 22 hp barrel it's a bit rough even with a bit of trigger mod. My M3 .177 has got to be the most fun for me to shoot, too frickin bad that it is no more accurate than a shotgun! But put the .22 barrel, 700MM on the M3 and it is the most accurate with a SS loader, makes me smile 😃 most days.

Yeah, wondering if it’s worth the effort in my RAW’s to substantially reduce hammer weight while increasing hammer tension … to achieve a more harmonious shot cycle.

Of course this violates the OP’s original conditions … but may help my shooting😉.
For me, the answer is a definite no. But, many folks like to tinker and enjoy the benefit, whether real or imagined. It's a hobby, so do what's fun. I don't think the target will notice.