• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Pcp compressor exploded

I used full synthetic mobile 1 10-30. It's suppose to be good to 600f. Only problem is it's a detergent oil but if you change it more often it shouldn't be a problem.
I Mobil 1 as a lube in my guns, I suppose it would work in a compressor, in fact because its really slick stuff it might work better. How many hours on yours?

When mine was in use, I used the seco oil. I know that sometimes saving money is important but the damage lost is way more than the money saved using cheap oil.

Also for those who are not mechanicaly inclined, please ask questions before doing things that maybe questionable. Although these are very simple compressors they can be very dangerous.

Allen

My very first thought was well.. what's next?

View attachment 420434
The honorable mention goes to Tuxing single piston compressor. The 2nd one..

Sum of my story:
Cheap handpump lasts 2months-imploded
1st tuxing lasts 1year 2months-lost compression
2nd tuxing lasts 6months-exploded
Double cylinder tuxing lasts 2months-spits oil at breather

Set-up:
Admission filter- dissecant
Compressed air filter-foam+triple tuxing filter
Additional one way valve before triple filter
6.9L 300bar bottle

Quick advice- don't ever let your body parts near working under pressure parts. Could have ended with some red stain. Just have an extension cord and unplug from far away for a better fear factor.
I always observe the filling procedure and i heard the noise of the motor starting to go down so instictly pressed the off switch as fast as possible. If i happened to put my arm over the piston some cuts and bruises were in order.

So after buying the double cylinder one and it started building pressure on the crankcase and spitting oil from the breather. I knew that either i had to learn how to fix these or buy a 1000+ eur compressor. I am a poor guy so didn't even had to think about an excuse to give the wife. Learn something new it is.

Started by cleaning and replacing the 1st single piston one's every seal. = Still no high pressure

Swaped one way valves from the 2nd (exploded one) to the 1st. = Still no pressure

While changing parts i noticed that newly replaced high pressure segments were leaking.
View attachment 420451
The temporary solution was this.
View attachment 420453
Inserted by hand the drag seemed fine. Still going strong for 1month to top up until i machine a new high pressure piston to replace the very gappy old one.

So, full of confidence i went to disassemble the double piston compressor and here is what i found wrong:
View attachment 420454
View attachment 420455View attachment 420456
Replaced those 2 screws with anti corrosion coated new ones. Replaced HP segments and overall cleaning. Happy ever after.

Now here is when i ask for opinions for why do you think the 2nd compressor exploded.
My thoughs are it was caused by a VERY stuck high pressure one way valve that was full of carbon (black) particles just like in the double cylinder. The oil i use is has the manual asks (iso100). The truth is that in every of the three these particles were present.

What i intend to do once the oil gets dark is to replace it with another one.
I live in Portugal and that purple royal is not available locally but if any alternative is suggested i will look into it thanks in advance.

And by the way i controlled temperatures of the water and at the time of explosion it was a cool summer night.

Why they last such a few time? Well i guess i shoot a lot.. and experiment a lot.. in fact so much i managed to damage one of my rifle's bottle screw and had to make a stainless insert
View attachment 420467
View attachment 420466
but nevertheless i only top the bottles since i got the double cylinder for 5min runs.

If you're a broke like me, don't give up on these compressors but definitely treat them like the enemy. CLEAN those valves has frequently has you feel comfortable and never get your head close to them! Signs of spitting oil at the breather are a immediate STOP sign.

Cheers
Happy shooting
We are broke because we shoot these more affordable to shoot pcps......
Thank you for sharing this, I allow ventilation for my air Venturi but also try to keep plywood,toolboxes etc. between it and me while filling. Good to know I’m not just being paranoid.

Reactions: Ignoto
Thank you for sharing this, I allow ventilation for my air Venturi but also try to keep plywood,toolboxes etc. between it and me while filling. Good to know I’m not just being paranoid.
I just got my tuxing 032. getting ready to buy oil, etc. I understand the need to keep the distance, etc, but how do you deal with purging the filters every few minutes?

I stay with a 100 ISO Synthetic non detergent. As you see in the one tuxing, I use a 5-gal Gatorade cooler. I only use 3 to 3 and a half gal of water and the rest I use blocks of ice that I have made beforehand, let just the pump run and get the temp drop, I get it to 50 maybe 40's. I don't let the temp go above 130 % and I fill 6.8 tanks, HEAT is bad all the way around! Single piston was to work very hard to fill tanks. Soon I'm going to replace the other cooling tank also. I hope this helps. oh, and I change the oil every 2 months regardless, if its black and you can no longer see threw it. it's been in it to long!!!

IMG_20231210_194958570 (1).jpg

8002033272510074451.jpg

My very first thought was well.. what's next?

View attachment 420434
The honorable mention goes to Tuxing single piston compressor. The 2nd one..

Sum of my story:
Cheap handpump lasts 2months-imploded
1st tuxing lasts 1year 2months-lost compression
2nd tuxing lasts 6months-exploded
Double cylinder tuxing lasts 2months-spits oil at breather

Set-up:
Admission filter- dissecant
Compressed air filter-foam+triple tuxing filter
Additional one way valve before triple filter
6.9L 300bar bottle

Quick advice- don't ever let your body parts near working under pressure parts. Could have ended with some red stain. Just have an extension cord and unplug from far away for a better fear factor.
I always observe the filling procedure and i heard the noise of the motor starting to go down so instictly pressed the off switch as fast as possible. If i happened to put my arm over the piston some cuts and bruises were in order.

So after buying the double cylinder one and it started building pressure on the crankcase and spitting oil from the breather. I knew that either i had to learn how to fix these or buy a 1000+ eur compressor. I am a poor guy so didn't even had to think about an excuse to give the wife. Learn something new it is.

Started by cleaning and replacing the 1st single piston one's every seal. = Still no high pressure

Swaped one way valves from the 2nd (exploded one) to the 1st. = Still no pressure

While changing parts i noticed that newly replaced high pressure segments were leaking.
View attachment 420451
The temporary solution was this.
View attachment 420453
Inserted by hand the drag seemed fine. Still going strong for 1month to top up until i machine a new high pressure piston to replace the very gappy old one.

So, full of confidence i went to disassemble the double piston compressor and here is what i found wrong:
View attachment 420454
View attachment 420455View attachment 420456
Replaced those 2 screws with anti corrosion coated new ones. Replaced HP segments and overall cleaning. Happy ever after.

Now here is when i ask for opinions for why do you think the 2nd compressor exploded.
My thoughs are it was caused by a VERY stuck high pressure one way valve that was full of carbon (black) particles just like in the double cylinder. The oil i use is has the manual asks (iso100). The truth is that in every of the three these particles were present.

What i intend to do once the oil gets dark is to replace it with another one.
I live in Portugal and that purple royal is not available locally but if any alternative is suggested i will look into it thanks in advance.

And by the way i controlled temperatures of the water and at the time of explosion it was a cool summer night.

Why they last such a few time? Well i guess i shoot a lot.. and experiment a lot.. in fact so much i managed to damage one of my rifle's bottle screw and had to make a stainless insert
View attachment 420467
View attachment 420466
but nevertheless i only top the bottles since i got the double cylinder for 5min runs.

If you're a broke like me, don't give up on these compressors but definitely treat them like the enemy. CLEAN those valves has frequently has you feel comfortable and never get your head close to them! Signs of spitting oil at the breather are a immediate STOP sign.

Cheers
Happy shooting
Why not yh?

I Mobil 1 as a lube in my guns, I suppose it would work in a compressor, in fact because its really slick stuff it might work better. How many hours on yours?
Motor oil in a compressor??? Never. Use synthetic compressor oil. Yes, it's more expensive, so is having to replace a compressor or a gun.

Motor oil that happens to get into the air can combust at high pressures. Not a safe thing to have happen.

Motor oil in a compressor??? Never. Use synthetic compressor oil. Yes, it's more expensive, so is having to replace a compressor or a gun.

Motor oil that happens to get into the air can combust at high pressures. Not a safe thing to have happen.
I said "I suppose it would work", not I use it in a compressor. I use Seco in my Tuxing. I've been using it for over a year and PURPOSELY put a little coating on the back of pellets, nothing, the flash point is way higher than airguns develop from my reading. I even use the stuff in pew pews they love it, way more pressure/heat in them than an air gun. My o-rings are lasting longer too, especially the breech o-ring, my regulator 0-rings are happy.

I said "I suppose it would work", not I use it in a compressor. I use Seco in my Tuxing. I've been using it for over a year and PURPOSELY put a little coating on the back of pellets, nothing, the flash point is way higher than airguns develop from my reading. I even use the stuff in pew pews they love it, way more pressure/heat in them than an air gun. My o-rings are lasting longer too, especially the breech o-ring, my regulator 0-rings are happy.

I hear ya, but the trouble is, somewhere someone brand new to PCP and compressors will read your post, and think it's ok to use synthetic motor oil in a PCP system, especially because it is much cheaper.

I have used (and seen others use) so many various oils in powder burners over the years with success. Even have a friend who uses nothing but WD-40 on his guns, and they are all in fantastic shape, whereas I've read many times that WD-40 is bad for guns. YMMV

I think the MOST important aspect of gun care is keeping hand oils/acids off the gun. I have a .40 cal H&K that I have never cleaned for 10 years, only oil it with MMO after I handle it, and it looks brand new.

I hear ya, but the trouble is, somewhere someone brand new to PCP and compressors will read your post, and think it's ok to use synthetic motor oil in a PCP system, especially because it is much cheaper.

I have used (and seen others use) so many various oils in powder burners over the years with success. Even have a friend who uses nothing but WD-40 on his guns, and they are all in fantastic shape, whereas I've read many times that WD-40 is bad for guns. YMMV

I think the MOST important aspect of gun care is keeping hand oils/acids off the gun. I have a .40 cal H&K that I have never cleaned for 10 years, only oil it with MMO after I handle it, and it looks brand new.
I hear you or technically read you. For those getting a new compressor...SECO oil is awesome not 'cheap' but it works very well and doesn't smoke like that Purple stuff.

WD-40 is a great cleaner and a lousy lubricant.

Have a friend, well several of them that put their .22's away, without cleaning, when I saw them almost cried. Took them home, tore them apart and gave them a though cleaning, got most of the rust off of the barrels, I even added a few parts to one gals 10/22 and bought her a silicon gun sock.

I hear you or technically read you. For those getting a new compressor...SECO oil is awesome not 'cheap' but it works very well and doesn't smoke like that Purple stuff.

WD-40 is a great cleaner and a lousy lubricant.

Have a friend, well several of them that put their .22's away, without cleaning, when I saw them almost cried. Took them home, tore them apart and gave them a though cleaning, got most of the rust off of the barrels, I even added a few parts to one gals 10/22 and bought her a silicon gun sock.

I've heard that many times over the years. And have seen it fail on tools stored in a non-air conditioned shed. But as I said, I've seen my buddies guns. Pulls them out of the safe, slightly shiny with WD-40 wetness, and not a spot of rust on them. He keeps a rag soaked in WD-40 that he wipes the guns down with every time he puts them away. Maybe the WD part is evaporating from the rag, leaving behind only the slight lubricating aspect of the 40th formula?

Hi guy,i v work on a lot of them.It seems like after ya patched them up after 3 times they just dont want to respond anymore?Listen i got to working on them so much i started wearing a face shield. I had some blow and i couldn't find the part "Here is a pic of the shield.O have your old lady get a insurance policy on you while your at it"

View attachment 421831
Using the same face shield from now on! A heartbeat and bad luck is all it takes to feel sorry for life.

I am planning to build an acrylic box for the twin cylinder one in the near future.

After some maintenance today i can definitely say the culprit of the explosion was twofold.

First the 2nd stage anti-return valve failed to seal because of the carbon build along with corrosion from the rusted steel fitting wich causes the high pressure to travel all the way down to the crankcase to a point wich the breather just can't cope with the flow to prevent it to keep increasing.

Second the high pressure segments (seals) worn out further facilitating the back travel even further. There are also a first stage (low pressure) valve wich was working less from perfect wich further increased this.

My take and further advise to everyone who uses this kind of simple design without a failsafe between stages is:

ALWAYS have something between you and the compressor

Religiously clean those valves surfaces and replace oil periodically to prevent carbon build-up.

Use the correct oil these things were made to run with even if the booklet tells you anything like 10w40 or any compressor oil is okay because DEFINITELY is NOT. (Not done that by the way)

Don't ever assume that because it has burst disks bad things will never occur because like it happened in this case the crankcase blows up well below the burst disk max pressure simply because Air goes to where the lowest pressure is located first.

There are signs that something is not working as they should. One easy way to tell is to turn on compressor to about 50bar and turn it off without purging the air. If everything is OK then the air should not leak from the breather vent hole. Do this 3 times to confirm the check valves are working correctly every time.

To help them work better you can polish them with 5000grit sandpaper lightly by hand and check if they have any surface damage in them. Wich with enough carbon powder they may work at time thus creating backfire when misplaced by reciprocating motion.

Below is a photo of a high pressure valve I made some work today.
20240309_125310.jpg

Before
20240309_131107.jpg

After

If the compressor is not building up pressure as easily it is sign that one of 4 things are wrong.

1 the low or high pressure seals are damaged. Depending on the range of pressure it cannot build anymore.

2 the check valves are not working or sealing good anymore again pressure dependant.

3 intake Air may be obstructed or clogged.

4 you have a leak anywhere to atmosphere.
I would start here first.

Hope this helps someone like it would have helped me prior using this kind of cheap devices.

If anyone wants to add up on something I thank you.

Not assuming anything, did you over fill your crankcase oil?
I ask because of the amount of burned oil I see. To much oil could be getting past your 1st stage rings. Your getting detonation, much like a diesel engine or a springer with to much lube ahead of the piston seal.
This is exactly what I assume after seeing the photos. It's less critical to slightly underfill rather than slightly overfill. In these small compressors it doesn't matter what brand you used if you overfill the crankcase. Just an ounce or two too much and it will and it will get fried in the compression area under high heat then diesel. Excess oil is the reason your compressor failed spectacularly. The brand was immaterial to the outcome.