• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PCP cleaning

i am new to airguns for the most part i use hoppe's #9 for my rifles what kind of liquids if any for pcp i made a cleaning kit out of weedeater string to put a dry patch works like a charm . Should any kind of liquid be used gun oil ? silicone oil ? Or just dry patches ?

I personally avoid WD40 as it is not a real cleaner or lubricant '- Water Displacing 40' leaves a film that turns gummy and slowly eats the blue on steel.

Much better products out there.

First of all, you might consider cleaning your gun "valve up" so any liquid does not drain through the TP into the valve.

If you research, most experienced pellet shooters seldom clean. Only if accuracy decreases do they clean then shoot 50 to 100 shots to re-season the barrel. I've got pellet rifles that are still going strong with 5 or 6 THOUSAND shots. I DO wipe the bore with a damp patch at the end of a shooting session using Ballistol mixed 50/50 with water.

BUT, slugs are a different story as they can foul a barrel much quicker (some barrels in 60 or so shots, some take a couple hundred). Using a lube reduces such accuracy robbing fouling.

I've found that if I have a lightly fouled barrel a brush and a solvent like Hopes works fine. I also like to put some JB Bore Cleaner paste on a patch and put it on a jag (NOT a slotted tip) where it is TIGHT and makes firm contact with the bore. Run it a couple times up and down the bore then clean the bore with Ballistol damp patches and you should be good.

1571091822_8308961815da4f56ea9a972.48974779_44128-synthetic-gun-oil-4-5-oz__51584.1522382525.jpg

what you think about this for cleaning barrel of airguns?