• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Optics setup for Diana 34. Can anyone suggest a few items?

So Im looking to get an optic for backyard pest control. I do know I need a drooper mount and some rings. From what Ive read, it seems that I should get a rail and then rings separate, and not a one price design, true? Also looking for a scope that will work for say 10yds to 30yds maybe? Again its just for backyard use, so it doesnt have to be a GREAT scope. UTG seems to be mentioned a lot here but again, open for suggestions. Hopefully someone else here uses their D34 for the same thing or even has a close setup.

Thanks!

"nattyboh74"So Im looking to get an optic for backyard pest control. I do know I need a drooper mount and some rings. From what Ive read, it seems that I should get a rail and then rings separate, and not a one price design, true? Also looking for a scope that will work for say 10yds to 30yds maybe? Again its just for backyard use, so it doesnt have to be a GREAT scope. UTG seems to be mentioned a lot here but again, open for suggestions. Hopefully someone else here uses their D34 for the same thing or even has a close setup.

Thanks!
That is a nice rifle and a good optic for it, for your purposes would be:
https://www.amazon.com/UTG-BugBuster-Scope-36-color-Mil-dot/dp/B00BKRJILE/ref=pd_sbs_200_20?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EQBD3A7HNJTHH5YM28J1
or
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-6x32-ao-compact-cqb-bug-buster-ie-scope-w-med-picatinny-rings-2in-su.html

Why?
1) Fixed power scopes are usually more accurate than variables because the turret mechanism can be simpler. That one is pretty inexpensive but still I'd expect the turrets to track better.
2) With a fixed power scope you don't ever make rookie mistakes with your hold over. "Oh, drat! I held over a mil just like I was supposed to for that range but I had the scope set to three power instead of ..."
3) With a fixed scope once you have everything optimized the only thing that changes is your AO (adjustable objective).
4) The one I linked is a 6x32 and so it will have good enough light gathering qualities (for it's price range) as the exit pupil will be 5mm.
5) The biggest reason for a 30mm tube is so that you can have more turret adjustment range. You don't need that in your back yard.
6) A one inch tube will do fine unless you are wanting something for working in very dim light. Then you should look at something in a 30mm with an objective lens that is at least six times the magnification. So you would be looking for an 4x32, 6x40, 8x50... one of those with a 30mm tube... but then you are looking at more money. Why? Your pupil opens up to about 7mm once it is adjusted to the dark. The scope gathers light on it's objective lens and concentrates that light into a dot (called the exit pupil) if the exit pupil is as big as you pupil then your eye and the scope are getting as much light as you can use, the image is as clear and bright as the glass in your scope will allow it to be. The rule of thumb is that the exit pupil estimated by dividing the magnification into the size of the objective in mm. So there is that...

The little six power linked above will put a smile on your face every time you take it out to shoot it once you have it set up, especially on that Model 34 which is a nice light hunter as it is but if you are truly going to keep all your shots inside of 30 yards you should look at the same model in 4x.

I have a couple of my 34's set-up with Pyramyd's Mantis 4-12 scope and a Hawke adjustable elevation mount.....works great!
The Mantis 4-12 is an AO, 1" scope with Mil-Dots and it is about $89.00. I've got BKL rings on it.
Very clear glass and the clicks give true vertical and horizontal adjustments, unlike a lot of the cheap scopes.
The Hawke adjustable mount works good for "droop" compensation if you need it.

ART 

"nattyboh74"
Are there any affordable FFP scopes?

Since I'm ratting I think I'd need a 40mm objective , right?

Any suggestions on rings or mount from Amazon?

Thanks a lot.
Natty, all fixed power optics are FFP :) No if you are ratting in low light you need something like a 4x32. The idea is to get the ratio of the size of the objective lens divided by the magnification to be about 7; so a 32mm/4x would give you a ratio of 8. Eight is larger than the average person's pupil when it is opened as large as it can open, so the scope is delivering as much light to your eye as it possibly can. Maybe you should look at this one instead:
https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Compact-Scope-36-color-Mil-dot/dp/B00AB44NK8/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1490709611&sr=1-5&keywords=4x32+bug+buster
or 
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-4x32-ao-compact-cqb-bug-buster-ie-scope-w-med-picatinny-rings-2in-su.html
both come with rings, one comes with a sunshade.

Will that compact scope work with the BKL 260-D7 mount?

I know you're against me getting a variable power scope. but if I dont do any windage adjustments, the variable zoom will still keep me accurate. Its just when I do windage, I'll get screwed up at a higher power, right? I just see more people with variable zoom versus fixed.. I dont wanna buy twice, but again Im still all ears.

Thinking of this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAI9ICE/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

"nattyboh74"Will that compact scope work with the BKL 260-D7 mount?

I don't know about that mount. The gun comes with an 11mm Weaver rail, I believe? ...
Ok, I looked it up. If the mount has 1" rings a 1" scope will fit it. If it has 30mm rings then you are going to need a scope with a 30mm tube.
You will do fine with whatever scope you settle upon. If you want a variable you should certainly get a variable. :) UTG is a good price point for pairing with a Model 34.

My experience is most DIANA guns have droop.

The best mount I have used on many may Guns as the Diana is the droop mount that they offer in the what was the 1 peice RWS DROOP mount. Will work on 34/350/48-52/ 54/460.

This mount has a front arrow that indicates the direction of the sloop. Also has 2 scope stop or adj grub screws. You can use the front set to raise the front of the mount if needed. Sold mount, offered in 1 " and 30 mm. Best mount out there.

Utg offers a weaver to dovetail the will correct the droop. Nice mount and the weaver/pict is a great secure mount. 2 different droop degrees and T05/T06 versions.

You can not go wrong with either. EveN your Diana lever actions have droop. I rebarreled many. If the gun had droop from the factory the gun will still have droop. jmo