• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Optic suggestion for close range pesting.

Anyone do any very close range pesting and have an optic they really like for this? Maybe some type of red dot? I'm in Tucson AZ where there's no shortage of rattle snakes out by the house. If it was just me I would leave them alone, but there's the kid and the wife and the dog etc... I just killed one for my neighbor the other night. I usually walk up to them and put the muzzle of the gun very close to there head which puts my trigger hand close to the snake! I was thinking of mounting some type of red dot or close range optic on the side side rail of my concept xr. That way I could shoot from 5 to 10 feet away. Just checking to see if anyone has a setup like this and what works good before spending $ on something. If anyone has any pics of what they use that would also help. Thanks!

Ed

I haven't hunted rattle snakes (or any snakes), but I have hunted pigeons, rats, and collared doves with a CO2 powered Crosman 2240 using this red dot sight out to 30 yards, with zero problems:

https://smile.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Green-Reflex-Sight-Reticles/dp/B00YRIHYIW/ref=dp_prsubs_2?pd_rd_i=B00YRIHYIW&th=1

Just search Amazon and make sure that you get one that fits the type of rail on your airgun (Picatinny rail or dovetail rail). The one above is for 20mm Picatinny dovetail. The dovetail rail versions are for 11mm/ 3/8" narrow rails. I have had really good luck with these inexpensive sights, and in my experience they are accurate for the money. Mine are mounted on the top of my rifle, so I do not know how well they will work for a side mount.

Good luck!

Bill

Hello red dots are great BUT when zeroed at a distance of 15 to 20 yds + (the distance you would probably zero at) you will be about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch low and need to use holdover to hit your target at close range. Another option is to mount a laser as well as your regular optic and just zero the laser for 10 ft, and from the muzzle to the 10 foot zero point for rounds impact will only differ the distance of the laser offset mounting point to the muzzle. What I'm trying to say if your laser is mounted 1 inch above the muzzle and 1 inch left of the muzzle your point of impact will be no more than 1 inch high and 1 inch left till you hit your zero point at 10 feet.The closer to 10 ft the closer the POI will be to the POA and the closer to the muzzle the closer the POI will be to that 1 inch offset. If you use the search function on this sight and search " lcs19 crimson trace" and scroll threw the post you will see how I mounted a laser on my LCS19. Hope this helps Eric

For very close like 6-15 feet the challenge is the optics distance and from bore. Higher or farther the optic the more difficult or bigger the hold over. I had issues with missing rats that were mere 5-6 feet away. 

my recommendation is lowest possible iron sight or reflex sight used in pistols. Or zero a laser at 6 feet and always shoot at zero distance, preferably mount the laser on the side instead below the barrel of the gun. If you can do 2 lasers parallel with the barrel then you can frame the shot better……and doubly tacticool! 

I don't think any air gun is ideal for snakes. In most situations, if the snake is more than 10 feet away, probably better to just let it go. If it's in a location in which you believe the snake to be a threat, then a hoe or similar long handled implement may be best. As for a "snake gun", a short barreled shotgun would be my choice, if you are in a location in which you can shoot.

This will help. Bushnell mini red dot

FA602D5B-D917-4B01-936F-2E91929B6FDB.1653734707.jpeg