On-the-fly adjustable power .22 PCP, What's out there?

"chasdicapua"Yeah, that's where my mind went, FX Streamline. Three step power adjuster. Has everything you want except the bullpup design. Light, not too long (40"). Although, to quiet it down you'll need to add a couple of inches for the moderator.
Eh. I find I'm liking built-in shrouds better than external moderators. But the price is right on these!

"dr_beretta"Smaug, do not get the Talon SS. I have one and not very impressed. Accuracy is so so despite having a Walther barrel. Power wheel doesn't do much. 
I would recommend an Air Arms S500 instead of the 510 if trying to stay under 1K. Perfect for what you want to do. Mine are super accurate and I have two, one in 0.177 and 0.22. I can drop the 0.177 power to 7 ft lbs or increase up to 20 ft lbs with the right pellet. Don't miss the magazines at all. Easy to top off with a pump. Trouble free since I bought them over a year ago. 
If you want to add a moderator in addition to the shroud, go with the S500 carbine to keep the overall length down. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the tips. I'll scratch off the Talon. I'm at the point now where I don't want to settle any more. I might send you a PM here and there.

"jgburks"The Mutant is extremely adjustable. I have the standard, and it is also a tack driver. I asked Ernest about it before buying one, and he described it as "infinitely adjustable". I have mine set to 12 ft/lbs for backyard pest control, but just by turning up the hammer spring a certain number of turns, it's at 30 ft/lbs that quick. I've only shot the 18 gr JSBs, but it can push them out at almost 1000 fps (too fast obviously), but it should shot heavier pellets at reasonable speeds.

The hammer spring adjustment is right on the back of the gun. It's a flat plug that has 2 holes, and you're supposed to insert 2 supplied rods to adjust it. I took a brass rod that fit the holes and bent it into a U shape so it would stay in via friction. I just leave it in all the time and can adjust the power very quickly. Pair that with a chrony and you can dial in pretty much any velocity you want for any pellet.

Can't say enough good things about my Mutant. Bought mine from Charlie Frear at Georgia Airguns, and he's a great guy to deal with.

Oh, and it is mouse fart quiet at 12 ft/lbs and very backyard friendly even at 30.
But I don't believe it's adjustable on the fly, right?

"balllistic"Travis from WAR is going to offer tuned Kral Puncher Breaker Silent bullpups that he goes through to ensure no mechanical problems & makes more backyard friendly for a modest fee. It has a rheostat style power adjuster and the hammer spring can be adjusted as well. He'll also be offering a "power tune" for higher power with heavier pellets. 

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=122431.msg1189256#msg1189256

http://airgunguild.com/pcp-c02-and-helium-powered-airguns/fixing-the-kral-silent-marine-22/
Initial reviews of the Krals are not good. If they're tuned well, I guess that won't matter. We'll see. I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs, hehehe.

(gee, I'm really missing a multi-quote feature here....)

ddransoml - Great idea! I had not thought of an AA TDR. If the deal on the S510 falls through, I'll look into that.

BenSeager - I'm sure the Streamline is nice, but to me, $1k is too much for a synthetic-stocked rifle. I thought they were a few hundred less? For that kind of money, I'd rather have some nice wood on a Daystate Huntsman Classic or an Air Arms.

jking - Yes, I'm going to put a used Regal Huntsman Classic on my list if the S510 falls through. LOVE the looks of this gun, and I've shot DOUGER's XL. Wonderful trigger, wood and accuracy. Only downside is that it needs an external moderator to be quiet.

Deja - If I'm going Turkish, I think it'd have to be tuned by Baxter Walton.

Blackdiesel - I read up on Sumatras awhile ago. I don't think they're all that accurate, and I read that the pellets fall out of the clips. Also, the power wheel reportedly turns itself, which is sub-optimal. But I DO like the lever action!

aa_limited - I'm really cranked up about this S510 deal. 10 FPE is a reasonable low power level. How many shots will I get at 10 FPE? I guess it is nice & quiet at that level too? 42FPE in .22 is REALLY moving... Is it still accurate at that power level? I didn't remember that Regals had externally adjustable power levels. The only thing I didn't like about the Regal was that it was kind of hard to cock that hammer spring, compared to other high-end PCPs.

I don't know where you read they are not accurate. I have 4 and can say without doubt they are some of the most accurate guns on the market bar none. The power wheel have stops and are not free turning. I have had a few undersized crosman pellets fall out of the magazine but that's all. How many guns you know will shoot 7 different pellets of different weight and all group well at 50 yards? Before this he shot a 100 yard group on full power 1225 fps with Benjamin domes and all 5 pellets were touching and plinking bottles at 153 yards so if this is not accurate I don't know what is considered accurate.

The mutant is adjustable on the fly if you can test beforehand to adjust the hammer spring tension and mark reference points for specific velocities. If you mark the adjuster screw, and have reference points, it is easily done. I just leave mine on full power as the gun is quiet and with a Weihrauch moderator added, it is quieter than a Prod with the same moderator! The mutant is more than twice as powerful, but quieter with the Weihrauch LDC than a twelve Footpound gun.

"blackdiesel"I don't know where you read they are not accurate. I have 4 and can say without doubt they are some of the most accurate guns on the market bar none. The power wheel have stops and are not free turning. I have had a few undersized crosman pellets fall out of the magazine but that's all. How many guns you know will shoot 7 different pellets of different weight and all group well at 50 yards? Before this he shot a 100 yard group on full power 1225 fps with Benjamin domes and all 5 pellets were touching and plinking bottles at 153 yards so if this is not accurate I don't know what is considered accurate.

Thanks for the video, blackdiesel. I guess the guy whose experience I read must've gotten a bad one. Domes supersonic and shooting touching groups at 1225 fps and 153 yards? Wow. How hard is the low power shooting? In the field, the power setting doesn't need to be tweaked that much. I'd set it to a highish power that's still accurate, maybe 25-30 FPE in .22. But for the basement and backyard shooting, I'd like to REALLY be able to dial it down, and I get the impression the Sumatras are cannons. I think I saw in one of his (your?) videos that low power was still around 900 fps in .25. That's too hot for my basement or back yard. Something that went from 6 FPE to 35 or so would be ideal, and the Air Arms seems pretty close to that. (I'd "settle" for 10 FPE, call me a wimp.. :D )

My 22 cal on the lowest power with 14.3 gr pellets is still around 25-26 FPE. The carbines are not quite as powerful as the long version but they are still powerhouses. Sumatras are pretty much made for serious hunting so I don't think it will get down to the power levels you are seeking unless you can find a UK sub 12 FPE version. They used to make a 177 cal version but I have no idea what the power ranges are in that caliber. Giles reviewed a carbine version a couple of years ago so I know they are out there.

I'm getting at least 120 shot on low power. and 10 foot pounds is with light pellts if I use jsb 18 grain I will get 12 foot pounds on low power.
​wen set to 17 foot pounds the air arms pellets 16 grain will do groups of 3 mm ctc at 28 yards.

​this gun has so much potentel. and when set to high power I'm getting 38 foot pounds with 21 barracudas. ale with tnd lil over 30 shots.
​and inch for 5 shots groups is doable with this gun.

​the regal is a pain in the ass to ajust power. the s510 has a lockable power adjuster.
​I feel the air arms s510 is better than the daysates.
​I own day states and the air arms loading port puts the pellets in straighter.
​I will never buy another daystate again.
I own an airwolf daystate btw.

42 foot pounds really is moving along in .22 I just love it.
​with jsb 16 moving at 930 I shot quarter inch groups at 50 yards. under a half inch is no problem

"Deja"oh wow why hasnt anyone mentioned the compatto? Its perfect and you dont have to go turkish. 

Atleast you get the slingshot system there and it actually works ok for a .22. S510 is old tech and i wouldn't touch one.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp/brocock-compatto-with-huggett/
OP did, and he has one in .177.
Preferably under or around $1k. Bullpup preferred, must be moderated, small tank/tube preferred. (I'm a hand pumper)

Doesn't have to be super-powerful on the high end, 25 FPE would be fine.
  • Airforce Talon SS (are smaller tanks available?)
  • Air Arms S410/510 (not a bullpup)
  • Brocock Compatto (has adjustments, but they're not usefully spaced)
  • Cricket? (I don't believe they're adjustable)
  • Mutant? (I don't believe they're adjustable)
My Hammerli 850 is 28 FPE, so I suppose I could just get a .22 Marauder or something and dial it down to be an indoor/backyard friendly one? It'd be nicer to have an adjustable one.

What he (☝) said...

Staying on [email protected] still say this is the one for you :

Had a Boss, have a Bobcat, and just got my hands on a Regal...AA's just has that special "something" in fit and shooting characteristics.
My only con would be the looseness of their power wheels...I shouldn't have to put an o-ring around them to keep them from moving out of adjustment (they stay put just fine alone but the slightest touch moves them)...especially for the money I had to shell out.