• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Old vs. New, Yong Heng

"Old" being 18 months and "New" being recent. I had noticed that my YH was filling my tanks a little bit slower so I decided to disassemble it and have a look. I really dodged a bullet as my cylinder head was just starting to cave in. While waiting for parts to arrive from China, I decided to order a second YH from ebay so there would be no down-time waiting for the unit too cool every 20 minutes, I would alternate between two. I often read stories here about peoples compressors that don't reflect my experiences and I just chalk it up to they did something wrong, or out of sequence and that's that. Not exactly. The problem is, that most of us don't have a lot, or any, experience with this stuff and we are all learning on our own. As it turns out, my first YH was a little brute. It filled my tanks very quickly without struggling at all. I, of course, had nothing to compare it to and thought that was normal. Enter YH number two; the exact same model but a different animal right out of the gate. It works, but it works a lot harder to do the same thing. It sounds like it anyways. I used the recommended 46 weight oil with the original unit and maybe that helped it to break-in quicker. On my new one I went right to Royal Purple. Perhaps it is protecting it from wear a bit too well but I couldn't stand the smell of the other stuff. The other big difference is the running temperature, old unit never gets over 55 celsius, new unit 63. It smells hot too. I put a fan blowing on it. It stayed at 61 for the rest of the fill. I am hoping that it eventually breaks in and runs below 60, we'll see. I was wondering if anyone else had similar units that behaved and operated so differently from each other? If this isn't just a break-in issue, I don't see this unit lasting as long as the original. If that is the case I will be moving on to something else, something quiet. I have done the math though, and if I get a year out of it, it is still worth it to me.

I have been following those threads and that was why I took it apart, because I thought that I would just have to clean the reed valve. Imagine my surprise when I saw the egg shaped crack in the cylinder forming. I am hoping that the performance difference is because of a thicker, heavier cylinder but I won't know until I have to take it apart too. The temp difference is real and very noticeable. I can feel the heat coming off of it even more than what the guage indicates, thus the fan blowing on it. It takes slightly longer to fill and that probably has to do with it working harder and at an apparent slightly slower rpm. Like I said, I am running them both back to back and the difference is there, and disconcerting, but they both get the job done for now. I was just wondering if this is the new normal.

I have one that is 18months and a new one also. The old one blew a seal and I erroneously took one of the stainless lines off thinking that was where the leak was and had trouble sealing it. so ordered parts and a new compressor at the same time. My old one seemed to have a harder time filling than the new one but the new one did take about 30 minutes to break in, and until it did it ran a little slower, hotter and sounded like it was having a harder time. Gauge on the new one is off by about 250psi so I switched gauges with the old one. I am only running with two gallons of water so often throw a frozen half gallon water jug in the bucket to keep the temps down if I am going to run longer than five to seven minutes. If I was running the recommended five gallons I would probly not need the ice. I would not trust the temp gauges to be overly accurate as the temp gauge probe in my first unit is in there tight and on the second unit I had to insert the probe myself and it is a very loose fit.

Birdslayer25, I wouldn't want to try because if something went wrong with one you would have to deal with both quickly .....

I can't see the reason behind such worry. E.g. if one of the YH stops, developes a big leak or whatever, it will be automatically cut off from the system because YH is equippped with a check valve at the outlet. Air can only flow out from the compressor, not in the reverse direction. However, the quality of the O ring of that check valve is just so so. Better replace it with a high quality one.

Neither of mine have check valves at the compressor. The pressurized line and gold filter blow right back. I shut my tank off first, open my bleed valves second, let the pressure run out from my lines and air filter and then shut off the compressor. I never start or stop pressurized. According to the manual that came with the new YH I am not missing any parts either. (edit) I have re-read this and I get what you're saying about a compressor stoppage but I was talking about problems along the lines or burst disks. I'll stand by what I said because I stand by my Yong Hengs, the whole time they are running, I wouldn't want to deal with two running simultaneously.