• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Old jsb.177 monsters vs. redesigned?

Ok, I know this probably has been discussed countless times before... but, for 25m or 50yd Br has anyone found that even though the slight edge in accuracy usually goes to old style!, Exceptions being... in windy conditions? where I am seeing a trend where my scores might actually be better with the re-designed pellets? Now I know each barrel is different and shooting in the wind is very hard to get consistent, quantitative results? I am shooting these old & redesigned jsb’s through two different LW POLY barrels which behave similarly!, anyone seeing similar results? Or am I just wanting this to be the case... Also the Redesigned’s shoot about 10fps slower, without any adjustments to reg or H.S., will add this, I can get them to shoot more accurately if I bring fps to roughly 830fps or higher? but then relegates me to shoot out of the H.V. Class!

Ya, probably just a anomaly on my part?, I still have to do more testing outside in the spring, just can’t ignore what I’m seeing though that if I bump them up to shoot 810-815fps they seem to do better especially in the wind? Probably wasting my time!, if not ,everybody would be using them... I will tell you what started all this for me was the fact that one of my barrels just refuses to shoot anything smaller than 4.54 head dia. And the initial run of redesigned monsters had that consistently larger head that this barrel prefers so I guess I’m just looking for a glimmer of hope!!!

Well mind you I have no conclusive or definitive results as of yet! but this seems to be the case with ONE of my LW POLY barrels indoors @ 16.5yds, I can see no accuracy differences between the original monsters and the redesigned monsters ( in this particular barrel ) now this summer I was doing some “wind” shooting @ 25m for hold offs etc. and was doing terrible! Sooo... thought well what the hell I’ll try some RD’s not to waste my competition pellets, My scores were better?, now there’s many variables at play here but this one barrel may just shoot these?🤙 please if anyone has extensively tested these Rd’s share your findings!, I don’t want to have to fit another barrel to this gun, it only shoots very large dia. Pellets! Not cleaning helps!, but I don’t know when accuracy is going off? usually right in the middle of a card... my x count has really suffered with this barrel 

1544555997_5305136655c100dddab3df9.49890468_3EDBC5C9-9913-4C68-A9EF-6B1711A834E9.jpeg
1544555998_3952059775c100ddec1e326.18437737_77150BFA-F040-403E-8DDC-54E94D7A9EC7.jpeg
Thought I would post pics of some preliminary groups with old & redesigned jsb .177 13.4gr monsters first pic. Shot w/BM-500, indoors @ 16.5 yds, you will see a fouler group followed by 3-Record groups for each style of pellet- also note the groups @ bottom under drawn line are RD’s from a different lot but same head dia? (All RD’s 4.53 head dia.) next pic I decided to try them “RD’s” in my TM-1000 W/ LW-12 groove barrel, these shot @ 735fps?... I did not adjust Regs or hammer springs on either gun the BM-poly barrel was shooting the RD’s @ 790fps this doesn’t suprise me from either gun considering my previous chrono results.

I've tried both in my LW Poly barrel and it definitely likes the older style better.

Chas
I would love to revisit this topic..... as i was recently told the redesigned pellets came about because Daystate didn't like the way older JSB's performed in their guns.... anyone in the know please chime in. I'm all ears, curious ears at that.

Ya, probably just a anomaly on my part?, I still have to do more testing outside in the spring, just can’t ignore what I’m seeing though that if I bump them up to shoot 810-815fps they seem to do better especially in the wind? Probably wasting my time!, if not ,everybody would be using them... I will tell you what started all this for me was the fact that one of my barrels just refuses to shoot anything smaller than 4.54 head dia. And the initial run of redesigned monsters had that consistently larger head that this barrel prefers so I guess I’m just looking for a glimmer of hope!!!
I have to aggree with you there NOMOJO!! When the first came out they were awesome!! large heads and shot great! As time went on they got much more inconsistant for sure. My RAW with the Poly barrel shoots the old monsters better @ 25 yards for Indoor benchrest but at 50/55 yards outdoors for field target the redesigns are a bit better. That is with a good batch!! Few and far between!! J.L.

Reactions: cavedweller
I am under the impression that jsb came out with the RD’s to satisfy the longer ranges and higher velocity’s of the manufacturers HP guns? They tend to stay stable past 50yd. Which seems to be about the limit with the originals at 820fps.

The RD’s can be pushed at much higher velocities and need to be for stability out past 50yds. In my higher powered.177 guns I’ve owned (Daystate/FX) I normally had to push them 840fps right up to 890fps to keep them happy out to 75yds.

Reactions: cavedweller
I've tested both extensively in my LW Poly barrel, to try and find out which one was more accurate. I'm also shooting hunter field target so i have them moving at 805fps +/- 5fps. I've even tried multiple batches of each. NOT CONSIDERING WIND, both pellets shoot with equal accuracy as best i can tell. However, the RDM's are much harder to load... so I only shoot the originals :p