• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Nite Site Eagle real world experiences sought

What I'm looking for is someone with actual experience using the Nite Site Eagle.

Background,
FX Royale 400 22 cal, Optisan Viper 4-16x50.

Also use a Photon Yukon 4.6s with upgraded IR.

I've been very happy with these components, the Yukon is great though lacks magnification for longer shots, hence the purchase of the Nite Site Eagle.

Received the eagle today and am very disappointed.

The first issue is no matter what position (forward or backwards) the camera is located at I never get a full picture on the screen.
The next issue is the image on screen, while the image is sharp and focused it is smaller than if you remove the camera and look thru the scope. What this causes as the magnification is increased is the aim point gets obscured by all the hash marks on the reticle.
The image on the screen is very small along with the reticle being so fine that it requires reading glasses to aim .

From many of the You Tube video's using the Eagle the reticle appears bold and easily seen, the rats and rabbits are easily seen and aimed at.

So, have I missed something?

Also regarding the reticle, you have to focus the camera until the reticle is crisp and clear. You do that by turning the lens. If you look at the camera lens, you shoudl see a black and grey ring in front. This gives you grip with your finger to rotate it. It will require you removing the camera from the sleeve, turning the lens, and installing again quite a few times. Once done the reticle will be nice and crisp and easily visible.

Hey Pulps,
Well I got sick and tired of arguing with the Nite Site people and the supplier, so I asked for a refund, both declined.
However I have the answer to the problem.
I've purchased a replacement lens from Ebay, a 16 mm, they are only a few dollars, and screw straight into the camera, what a difference!

I now have a much bigger image of the reticle and the screen is a full view, there are no black corners any more. The field of view is a smaller but this isn't a problem when scanning for targets.
Best of all I can now see well enough to easily take aim at a fox at 180-200 yards.

I also purchased a 12 mm lens, this maybe a good compromise as the FOV is a little better for close shots with a good image and screen size.

Hope that helps.

I purchased a 12mm and a 16mm, the 16 works great when used at longer ranges (Shooting fox's) around 200 yds.
At air rifle ranges on the 4-16 Viper a 12mm gives a slightly wider field of view, though not a great deal more than the 16mm.

The lens that came with the Nite Site Eagle looks to be about an 8mm, which gives a good field of view but the reticle in the Viper is so bunched up as to be almost unusable, it would work better with a standard crosshair, though the image on screen is still quite small with the factory lens.

I use the 16mm all the time on both my 223 and air rifle and a bog pod which allows me to scan easily, so a smaller field of view is not really a problem

I put in my 12mm lens and I just could not get it to work better than the stock lens. Yes it filled most the screen up but the picture was a fishe-eye type. It may be just the one I got was like that or I didnt spend enough time adjusting. I found for some reason on my Athlon that the 12mm lens 'liked' lower powers like 5 or less down to 2.5x. The 8mm lense 8x works fine. I crop the video out in post production anyway.