• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Newbie to airguns needs some help.

Ian

Apr 6, 2015
NH
I'm pretty new to airguns, because where i'm from (Faroe Islands) everyone owns shotguns and believes that "airgun kind" of guns dosen't do the work. I like hunting for birds, and have been searching for that "silence gun", so i tried an cheap and loud noname 1000fps177 air rifle.
I'm pretty amazed over the range it can shoot, but accuracy is a town in China...
So I sold that air rifle and need help to choose a new one.

I wan't to use the new air rifle to shoot accurate at long distance and be able to kill a Rabbit, Duck or Goose from about 70-100 yards.

So far, my research has led me to some PCP FX Airguns. But i don't know, which caliber to use, can a .22 caliber kill a duck or goose from 70-100 yards or do i need a larger caliber? If so, than the FX Royale 400 og FX T12 400 will most likely do the job, if not, than there is Royale 500 and FX Boss, but they don't have a removable air cylindar.
I want to be able to change air cylindar during the hunt. Or how does this pumps work? how many strokes a needed to fill for ex. an FX Royale 400/500 cylindar?
No one in this country has a PCP gun and no one sells them yet, so finding information about PCP guns or even airguns is nearly impossible.

So I really need your professional help to choose what air rifle is best suited for my kind of hunting.

Sincerely

Ian

Hi Ian, welcome to the site. From what you said I reckon you would be looking to buy an fx bobcat in .25 at 30 fpe. I've got a sub 12 fpe bobcat which is the power limit for the UK and its a gem. You can swap out the cylinder and it will give you enough power to take down your prey accurately. There are many others on this site who own said gun so hopefully they will chip in with some advice. Check out teds holdover website, he's has some great vids of the gun I'm referring to, best of luck mate.

Hello lan, I believe there are already some FX shooters on you island. I watch the FX Airguns Group on Facebook and I recall one of the members mentioning he lived in the Faroe Islands. I believe he posted a picture of his recently arrived shipment of JSB and/or FX pellets. You might check around, sounds like there are already some FX shooters in your back yard.

Fx bobcat is a good choice. The fx bobcat in 30 Cal is the same gun as the fx boss. Only difference is they replaced the bottle with a cylinder shortened the barrel and gave it a bullpup stock. The cylinder is removable. Super accurate and JSB pellets work well. If you want to shoot at 70 to 100 yards go for a.25 Caliber since the heavier pellet allows you to buck the wind better. Get the regulated version of the bobcat in.25. It's worth the couple 100 dollars extra. You will get more consistent shots. You could also go with the bobcat 30 Cal. It comes with the regulator pre-installed. And It's super accurate. But the pellets are more expensive and they have significant drop over longer ranges. If it's only birds rabbits and goose 25 Cal is more than enough. However if you plan to go for hog's or foxes the 30 is the clear choice. Scuba tanks are far easier to use to fill a PCP. Hand pumps are more portable but need more than 100 pumps to fill a gun to 250 bar. At full power this equates to about 50 shots on the 25 Cal bobcat and 30 on the bobcat 30 Cal. Tiring to fill a gun using a pump really. Carrying a smaller 450 bar scuba tank pre filled makes more sense if you out hunting. The tanks can be refilled at any scuba or dive shop. Allows you to fill your gun in less than a minute. 

Reactions: jobobo
Thank you for all your answers, this was really helpful. I'm suprised, it only takes around 100 pumps to fill the cylindar, i thought it would take around 1000-1500 pumps :)

To sum up: 
Cal. .25 is enougt to lay down duck and goose from 100 yards (is cal. 22 also good enough?)
Bobcat does well the job, and has a removable cylindar.

Are there any problems with the Bobcat? i've heard, that if you or someone else accidently fires a blank shot, than tey will leak? Anyone with that experience?

And i managed to find some FX users in faroe islands, thanks to you guys.

.25 caliber is good, but 30 would be better. My understanding is that being an island, wind will be an issue for you, and while a very accurate 22 will do the job, in the wind it is less likely to get the job done. So I would rate it .22 (OK), .25 Good, .30 Better.

I don't know how you would buy an airgun in the Faroe Islands, which is probably your biggest issue. But here in the US, if you stay in the 25 caliber there are many options. The Marauder is cheap and a good choice ($550). The Air Force Condor is a bit more expensive ($650) but more powerful and expandable. It is only a single shot model though. The Air Arms PCP's are the next step up and are very accurate ($1200). Then you get to the FX and Cricket range ($1500+). These guns should be more accurate, with more features and usually a better hold\stock. They should also be available in 30 caliber, while the previous ones are not in stock form.

But your country's import rules will play a big factor in costs. You will need a good pump ($350) or compressor ($1800) to fill it with air. If you pump, make sure you do this indoors in an air-conditioned room so you don't put any salty air in your expensive gun.

I hope this helps.

Ian, I would also add the the .22 in high winds takes some real practice my friend. It almost sounds for you that maybe a 22cal center fire might make more sense, but if your looking for quit well an airgun will give you this for sure. As long as it shrouded (silencer) added to the rifle. I think that going for an fx right out of the gate isn't a solution for you. Although one of the best pcp's out there, a marauder in .25 is great and you won't break the bank. That's where I would start. What happens when you finally get all set up and you don't like it or find it just to difficult for you to take long shots with it. Airguning isn't the same as shooting rim fire or center fire weapons. It really takes a lot of patience an practice to kill something effectively at long ranges (for airguns anyway) 75/100 yds. IMHO...now as far as what caliber to select .25 is a good all around best I think. It has just about everything needed to do what you want. I would stick to that. Best of luck to ya, Steve 

"Ian"Thank you for all your answers, this was really helpful. I'm suprised, it only takes around 100 pumps to fill the cylindar, i thought it would take around 1000-1500 pumps :)

To sum up: 
Cal. .25 is enougt to lay down duck and goose from 100 yards NOT LIKELY (is cal. 22 also good enough? NO)

KILLING A DUCK OR GOOSE WITH A .22, .25 or .30 CAL AT 100 YARDS HIGHLY UNLIKELY WITHOUT A PERFECTLY PLACED HEADSHOT. DUCKS AND GEASE ARE HARD AS NAILS. YOU WOULD NEED A SERIOUSLY POWERFUL HUNTING AIR RIFLE TO EFFECTIVELY TAKE WATERFOWL AT THAT DISTANCE. I'M THINKING AT LEAST 300+ FT/LB FOR WATERFOWL AT 100 YARDS.

Bobcat does well the job, and has a removable cylindar.

THE BOBCAT'S CYLINDER IS REMOVABLE.

Are there any problems with the Bobcat? i've heard, that if you or someone else accidently fires a blank shot, than tey will leak? Anyone with that experience?

THE BOBCAT IS A MATURE RIFLE. THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. DRY FIRING THE BOBCAT WILL NOT CAUSE AIR TO LEAK NOR WILL IT DAMAGE THE RIFLE.

Sorry Travels4fun, I have to disagree with the statement there are no problems with the bobcat. There are a ton of complaints about it. Just google "fx bobcat issues" and see for yourself. Oh and don't go to the [edited: per rule 3] forum and ask about it, they will rip your ear off. I do think it is a mature and good gun, but this statement "THE BOBCAT IS A MATURE RIFLE. THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT." is overselling it in caps.

FYI there is not a lot of experience with goose hunting in the US since it is mostly illegal. They are protected as migratory birds. But there is a ton of experience with Turkey hunting and they are similar sized birds. Generally they are taken via a well placed head shot. And 25 caliber is more commonly used than 22. Most of those hunts happen at 75 to 25 yards though. And a Marauder or Condor at 35fpe seems to fit the bill. Since you want to extend that range you will need something more most likely. 300ft/lbs seems like a bit much, but if you are planning on a body shot, or if you can't get accuracy at that distance or in the wind then yes, more power helps.

Hi Ian,

There has been a lot said already - most I agree with, a little I do not.

What really needs to be addressed is the obstacles you are facing to achieve your goal (70-100 yard head-shots on large water fowl). As others have mentioned, price is a significant obstacle (especially for someone living on a small island) - not just for the gun, but for all the accessories needed. And, there is the issue of power (I would opt for a .25 or .30). And, there is the issue of government restrictions (please make sure it is legal).

BUT - what has not yet been mentioned is the conditions of your island. I am looking at a 10-day forecast for the Faroe Islands, and I see 30mph wind for much of that time. Do you see where I am going with this? 70-100 yard headshots are difficult enough on their own. They are near impossible in those conditions. If you are committed to the idea of air rifle hunting, I think you need to curb your expectations re: the capabilities of the gun (any airgun) in your conditions. I just don't think you can expect to routinely shoot 70+ yards. I think 20-50 yards should be more your range. And, given that, I do not think you need to buy a "top tier" rifle. As other have noted, a Marauder or AirForce gun may be a better option.

Now - do not get me wrong. I am not preaching to you about what I think you should or should not do. I am just trying to show you that the crazy shots you see on Youtube may not be repeatable in your conditions. The amount of investment you will need (both time and money) to achieve your goal is significant. I want you to know what you are getting into. And, I want you to consider the idea that an airgun may not be the best choice for the goals you have set.

ted

"jobobo"Sorry Travels4fun, I have to disagree with the statement there are no problems with the bobcat. There are a ton of complaints about it. Just google "fx bobcat issues" and see for yourself. Oh and don't go to the [edited: per rule 3] forum and ask about it, they will rip your ear off. I do think it is a mature and good gun, but this statement "THE BOBCAT IS A MATURE RIFLE. THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT." is overselling it in caps.

FYI there is not a lot of experience with goose hunting in the US since it is mostly illegal. They are protected as migratory birds. But there is a ton of experience with Turkey hunting and they are similar sized birds. Generally they are taken via a well placed head shot. And 25 caliber is more commonly used than 22. Most of those hunts happen at 75 to 25 yards though. And a Marauder or Condor at 35fpe seems to fit the bill. Since you want to extend that range you will need something more most likely. 300ft/lbs seems like a bit much, but if you are planning on a body shot, or if you can't get accuracy at that distance or in the wind then yes, more power helps.

I used all caps so the OP could distinguish my responses from his text. I agree with you as it does appear I'm coming off a bit preachy. That certainly wasn't my intent.

However, I stand behind my statement of the Bobcat being mature and trouble free. The earlier Bobcats had problems with leaky fill assemblies. However, once this flaw was discovered, AOA began retrofitting rifles with an improved fill assembly prior to shipping them out to customers. From around Aug 2014 onwards, Bobcats arrived from the factory with revised fill assemblies and the issue was resolved. The only other complaints were from users whose manometer did not align perfectly with the stock's cutout.

Where there any other issues other than those mentioned above?

Scott

Re: Travels4fun - There have been complaints about the magazine jamming & the regulator too. But I just felt that saying "there are no problems with it" with any airgun is a bit far fetched. I would say the Bobcat is a good gun, I am not a hater like some of those on one of the other forums, but any production rifle is going to have some lemons and any design is going to have some flaws. The bobcat does have flaws. Most owners live with them or fix them. I just felt we should set expectations reasonably.

Re: Ted, 30mph wow! I assumed by the beach it would be windy, but yeah 30mph would be pretty difficult to push a pellet at a subsonic speed with accuracy. It would be tough for a PB.

I'm pretty new to airguns, because where i'm from (Faroe Islands) everyone owns shotguns and believes that "airgun kind" of guns dosen't do the work. I like hunting for birds, and have been searching for that "silence gun", so i tried an cheap and loud noname 1000fps177 air rifle.
I'm pretty amazed over the range it can shoot, but accuracy is a town in China...
So I sold that air rifle and need help to choose a new one.

I wan't to use the new air rifle to shoot accurate at long distance and be able to kill a Rabbit, Duck or Goose from about 70-100 yards.

So far, my research has led me to some PCP FX Airguns. But i don't know, which caliber to use, can a .22 caliber kill a duck or goose from 70-100 yards or do i need a larger caliber? If so, than the FX Royale 400 og FX T12 400 will most likely do the job, if not, than there is Royale 500 and FX Boss, but they don't have a removable air cylindar.
I want to be able to change air cylindar during the hunt. Or how does this pumps work? how many strokes a needed to fill for ex. an FX Royale 400/500 cylindar?
No one in this country has a PCP gun and no one sells them yet, so finding information about PCP guns or even airguns is nearly impossible.

So I really need your professional help to choose what air rifle is best suited for my kind of hunting.

Sincerely

Ian
Ian,
Just circling back to see if you Found the FX model you were looking for. I know it's been almost 8 years, but, hey.

Patrick